RAMual benifets

Gamesniped

My new box is currently computing with 512megs of ram, and it is pure heaven. The machines I build for other people generally come with 256megs. There is a small noticible performance difference between the two.

Now my wife's machine ony has 72megs of ram, and.....well, I don't want to go there, and its bearly worth upgrading.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: GREG MILLER ]

FPS increases will be negligeable if at all. Fps increase can only really be seen by upgrading 1st your CPU and 2nd your vid card.

For instance, with a geforce 2 card an increase in cpu will bennifit you fps more. However, if your mobo will only allow up to 850mhz (like an Abit be-6ii) then the cheap cpu (around 100) and an upgrade to a gf3 ti200 or if you can afford it ti500 will yeild the best results.

However, don't be fooled into thinking a gf2mx with 64mb of ram is better than the same card with 32mb. There's not enough bandwidth on the card for the extra 32mb's to make any difference. it's just a sale point. that comes direct from nvidia before you decide to argue the fact.

My mantra, when building/upgrading machines: 256mb of Ram is the bare min. If you're just gaming or doing office work, don't bother with the upgrade past that point. However, if you're upgrading to winXP; doing 3d or video post work; or just a nut about filling every available slot then be sure and get as much as you can afford.

However, in any system, once you hit 512mb of ram, the upgrade in CPU/Graphics Card/IDE bus are far better performance upgrades.

Hope this helps to confuse the issue... er, clear up the issue (hehe)