American Media

Guest Shingen

Guest Shingen

ARRRGH!

Is it just me or does America have some of the MOST STUPID reporters in the entire civilized world?! Has anyone else noticed the outright STUPID questions they ask?! Man, I get soo ticked off anymore just lisening to the "news" reports now. ( even more then usual )

Case in point: Last night while I was watching ENTERPRISE, I'd channel-surf during the commercials, anywayz, I came aross some 'news-show" (don't know which one it was) but regardless, some dumb-a** reporter was asking a fighter pilot if US pilots were REGULARLY TRAINED TO ENGAGE AND DESTROY UNARMED TARGERTS?! ...and I'm thinkin' WHAT KIND OF DUMB-A** QUESTION IS THAT?! Oh yeah! American military pilots regularly blow civilian targets outta the air! They do it for target practice!!! (give me a break)

Then the idiot asked this pilot HOW HE WOULD FEEL if he were ordered to engage and destroy a civlilian aircraft that was acting in a hostile manner? ..and I'm thinking How he would FEEL?! Oh yeah, I'm sure you have all kinds of time to FEEL things when you are moving at mach 1 in a combat situation in American airspace, ( or ANY airspace for that matter)... attempting to engage an aircraft that might be loaded to the gills with terrorist!

OK..ok I'm probably venting here, but I just think that America has some of the stupidist reporter in the world. I think that they are doin in on purpose, but I'm at a loss to concieve that purpose other then they are all suffering from complete and total stupidity!

OK, now what do you guys think?

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Shingen ]

My favorite is when Wolf Blitzer was talking to some US General and asked him about firing on the Taliban while they were on the run. Blitzer said "But they are out in the open!" and the General said "good".

Like we should only fire at people who are hiding behind something.

Yes, this has made me laugh as well, the media in this country are just MORONIC!!

This is what I think of the media and their mindset.

Notice, during the bombing, big pretty explosions, impersonal, no problem, people dying but they didn't see it directly. Video Game mentality.

But NOW!! Fighting is hand to hand, men are killing each other in front of them, there are bodies, and the media is now flipping out!!

Well, like I said somewhere else, message to the media, War is Hell, people die!! GET OVER IT!!!

Yeah, They're running, they are retreating, shouldn't you stop shooting them? DUH!!! They are A: in the open, B: still have arms, and C: have not given up or surrendered, when they quit running, give up their arms and surrender, THEN we will quit killing them!!

Yes, the media are morons!! This is a FACT!!!

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

Guest Shingen

Well it seems to me that the American media sides more with our enemies then with US interests! Another case in point:

Last night on that news-show, some dumb-a** reporter was interviewing our vice-president, and she asked him why the president and vice-president were split-up during crisis situations, and WHERE the vice-president WENT during these situations, and HOW HE TRAVELED THERE?!

I mean why not just send the freakin' terrorist his entire intenarary(sp?)!! What kind of crazy sh*t is that?! I would think tat it would border on treasonous!

..and what's with all the emotionalism and empathy for the damn terrorist?! Why should we FEEL anything for the lousy murderers!? Why would the media EXCEPT us to feel sympathic towards them and why is it hat the media seems to be exactly that? Sympathic towards the terrorists?!

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Shingen ]

The media ignores any news that favors the "Right Wing Extremists"

In other words they ignore all left wing extremist actions when sadly it is left wing extremists doing 90% of the damage in America today. That's a conservative estimate.

The cincinnati race riots - media favored the criminals

rodney king - media favored the criminal

Bill Clinton's Impeachment - media favored the criminal

In fact recently a CNN memo came to light that warned journalists to not let their "objectivity" cause them to focus on the Taliban side more than the American side.

They've done this crap the whole time, Tom Brokaw sits there and quotes president bush's "let's roll!" as : "Let us.......................................................................... Roll."

Dan Rather I don't know what to make of him. He goes insane all the time and jumps from right to left to extreme left.

MSNBC puts the wackiest liberals OP-EDS as the actual "news" on their website. Nothing but Bush bashing and Communism flaunting.

CNN I can somewhat understand because they are a global network.

What excuse does ABC have? If they don't want to appear to go along with the government why don't they take the AMERICAN out of their name?

How much have you heard of people saying _____________ (Fill in the blank: God, God Bless America, The American Flag, the USA) is _____________ (Fill in the blank: Racist, Evil, Bigoted, a symbol of oppression)

?

What really pulls my chain with evening news broadcasts is when there is an impending blizzard about to hit somewhere upstate in the middle of the night. There is always some reporter there "live" standing outside the snowplow depot of some town expected to be "hit hard". They say the usual crap about a snowstorm is coming and the snowplows are being deployed. You can't actually see anything apart from this reporter freezing his/her a** off 'cos it's 10pm and dark outside.

If you surf through all the networks news programs, they all have reporters "there live" in the dark (all with associated live mobile units, crew equipment etc) saying the same inane crap. What a complete waste of money!

Listen up networks; WE KNOW a storm is coming, we saw it on the weather forecast! We don't need some smarmy idiot and overpaid crew on double time wages telling us this "live"! If you stopped wasting all this money you wouldn't need to run so many irritating advertisements.

Focus on real news for once!

quote:

I mean why not just send the freakin' terrorist his entire intenarary(sp?)!!

And the one after the anthrax where they start talking of smallpox?

Uhhh, geez guys, let's give them more ideas on how to kill us!

Here's a column by Michael Kelly of the Washington Post entitled All-Negative, All the Time

An excerpt:

quote:

"Good evening, and welcome to 'All Is Lost,' the nightly public affairs program produced by National Public Radio and the British Broadcasting Corp. Tonight we discuss what has been called America's war against terror. I am your host, Perfectly Modulated Voice of Reason.

"With me, in our Washington studio, are: Fabled Newsman Who Was There When Saigon Fell . . . Scientifically Trained Impartial Scholar . . . and Bureau Chief of Second-Rate Regional Monopoly Newspaper Who Is Desperate to Be Hired by the New York Times. From London, we are joined by our European affairs analyst, Loathes America and Prays for Its Swift Destruction.

"First, today's war news...

Guybert, you think that's bad. You should see the local news here in Portland, Or. We measure snowfall in the valley here in the inches every year, if any. If there is news that we might get an inch of snow or more on the valley floor overnight, there are reporters standing on the West Hills live all night. If they see flakes, schools get closed, business open late, busses go on snow routes... its absolutely insane. A couple inches shuts the whole city down.

quote:

Guybert, you think that's bad. You should see the local news here in Portland, Or. We measure snowfall in the valley here in the inches every year, if any. If there is news that we might get an inch of snow or more on the valley floor overnight, there are reporters standing on the West Hills live all night. If they see flakes, schools get closed, business open late, busses go on snow routes... its absolutely insane. A couple inches shuts the whole city down.

I will second that notion!! But it sure is fun to watch everyone freak out though, ain't it?

My advice: Don't believe any TV interview that's not live. Their definition of "editing" is strange, to say the least.

I once attended a uni lecture with a guest lecturer who used to be the chairman of Queensland's Department of Corrections. He told us of an interview he did with a current affairs show about the problems with the prison system. They asked him if there was violence in prisons, he said "Of course there's violence in prisons" and then he explained the situation. They also asked him if there was drug use in prisons, he said "Of course there's drug use in prisons" then explained the situation. Then they asked him what he thought of the critics of the Department of Corrections, he said something like they were 'silly' (can't remember exactly).

When the interview went on the air, the ordering of the questions was reversed, and the explanations were cut, which effectively made him look and sound like a pompous ass.

What annoys me most about bloody TV journos is the 'How do feel.......?' question they ask relatives of murder victims, or relatives of freed hostages etc or even freed hostages themselves.

How do think they feel, you moronic microphone-wielder?

'I've just been freed from 3 years captivity, and to be quite honest I'm a little peeved, I was thoroughly enjoying the hospitality of my captors, the rapings and beatings were carried out with the utmost of sincerity'

And when the A-300 came down in Queens, a Sky reporter was interviewing a resident, trying to get her to express her fears that it could have been a terrorist act, rather than actually getting a newsworthy eye-witness account.

It's not just US TV journos, we get them in the UK too.

It’s almost as bad in Norway too.

What really freaks me out (in addition to the above) is how they (the news here) sometimes seem to give news based on presumptions. For example lets say somebody is gunned down. On the news a couple of hours later, they are actually reconstructing the event (with actors or some computer animations) – based on what? Rumors? How the **** do they know what happened when the investigators (or anyone else for that matter) don’t? I guess it all boils down to selling news.

quote:

If they see flakes, schools get closed, business open late, busses go on snow routes... its absolutely insane.

In Oregon? Guess so. Just refreshed my memory. Sandwiched between Washington and California. Don't you have a mountain range protecting you and a warm Pacific current?

At least we have sense enough to wait till there is measurable snow on the ground before we close things. Then again the mere mention of snow and suddenly all the milk and bread is gone from the stores.

quote:

And the one after the anthrax where they start talking of smallpox?

Uhhh, geez guys, let's give them more ideas on how to kill us!

Yeah I like that one too. "AS CNN It is our duty to report the truth... the truth is that America is completely unprepared for such and such attack. In fact if terrorists were to go in the unguarded back entrance here *points to map and pick up the vial of smallpox that happens to be stored here *points again and dump it in the unmonitored water supply, all Americans would die. Don't worry the government doesn't check these areas so it's a 0% risk for any terrorist."

Guest Shingen

quote:

"AS CNN It is our duty to report the truth... "

I think that the truth is completely alien to the news media because most of the stuff they report is either unsubstanciated or fabricated. Their logic also escapes me, because in a recent Gallop(?) poll (if you believe in Gallop(?) polls), that public opinion of the media had dropped to like -54% or something.. so it would appear that they were alienating themselves from the very people who they are supposed to be informing... namely us! The American public...

On the other hand, since most news agencies are higly liberally (leftist) bent, and since most liberal (leftist) logic is highly illogical, I guess it makes sence...

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

What annoys me most about bloody TV journos is the 'How do feel.......?' question they ask relatives of murder victims, or relatives of freed hostages etc or even freed hostages themselves.

While I agree whole heartedly, I just have one question: How does one conduct an interview with a murder victim? Thank you for that treasure of hidden humor, it's been a rather bleak day and I needed the chuckle.

He He

Did you see Rumsfeld on CNN today tear a some new arses in the reporters attending his press conference? It was brilliant!

Some moron asked if he thought it was fair that US troops were firing on the retreating Taliban forces. Not surrendering Taliban forces mind you, retreating ones. You know, the ones who haven't given up yet and are merely withdrawing their position and would happily blow you away if you let them!

I mean, how incredibly ignorant do you have to be before you can become a reporter?

I think that TV news stations (especially commercial stations) have no consistent political orientation. They just take the side that will bring the ratings up.

The Rumsfeld exchange is a good example because the reporter knew exactly how Rumsfeld was going to respond. They just want to hear him say it so that he can be perceived as callous by anti-war people and heroic by pro-war people (which indicates to me that he is neither of those things). Creating division among viewers by staging conflicts with authority figures is a classic recipe for high ratings.

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

quote:

I think that TV news stations (especially commercial stations) have no consistent political orientation. They just take the side that will bring the ratings up.

I'd rather have it that way. Maybe not the way it's supposed to be but better than political alliances.

quote:

My advice: Don't believe any TV interview that's not live. Their definition of "editing" is strange, to say the least.

I agree totally Menchise...

Hey that's cool we agree on something..

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

While I agree whole heartedly, I just have one question: How does one conduct an interview with a murder
victim
?

Erm, excuse me:

quote:

question they ask
relatives
of murder victims

I may be a scientist, but I'm not stupid.

Edit:

Or as the SC would say:

'Which part of 'relatives' was unclear?'

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]