ADSL problems

Põdi

OK, so I've now got my ADSL connection (only 256k at the mo, can't afford anything faster), but I've already experienced a few quirks; for example, some pages just will NOT load up, whereas there is no prob with my dial-up. Also, some of your animated logos take forever to load, if at all, again not a problem with my dial-up. Anyone have any clues, are these common problems? Or is it my provider? They do have a helpline, in German, but wanted to find out if you guys had any ideas before I resort to gethering vast quantities of phlegm at the back of my throat and ringing them up.

Toodlepip.

Most of our sig's are on different servers, so your Explorer or whatever is pulling the forum and then going to another server for my sig, and another server for Advils sig, etc. ad nauseum.

This is probably why they are loading slowly, there are technical reasons that you are getting slow connections on some and fast on others, I'll let those that are more technical then I explain that!!

That's what I thought, but why does the dial-up get them and not the ADSL?

The speed is fine, I d/l the OFP ultimate upgrade 1.30 in 20min last night instead of the usual couple of hours (32MB or something like that).

Paddy, check with your ISP and see if they are using a proxy server at the head end of your DSL connection. This will cause a slowdown on page loading until the proxy has it.

Also, empty out all your internet cache files. DSL has a tendency to load these up before you know it.

Check out www.dslreports.com for speed tweaks to the Windows OS. Windows (depending on flavor) usually defaults to LAN settings, which aren't compatible with high speed interent access.

Good luck and welcome to the world of high speed access. You will love it.

"Oh BTW, what kind of hardware setup did you get?"

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Wolferz ]

quote:

That's what I thought, but why does the dial-up get them and not the ADSL?

The servers you connect to are different. My AOL downloads from UK servers faster than it does from West Coast US servers. Back when I had cable, it was opposite.

Whoo, my folks just ordered DSL! Countdown: 2 weeks! (Yep, another countdown, but this time it's just a personal one.)

ADSL

Still a dream over here, had an aborted release a little while ago consumers board complained they were charging to much so they pulled the service

So only options are ISDN/56k modem or £2.5K a year for a leased line

none of which are a viable/good option

Pray for me I am in hell

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

"Oh BTW, what kind of hardware setup did you get?"

It's a ZyXel Prestige 630 ADSL USB Modem

Interesting about the servers, I have Yahoo (US) as my Start page, I normally have the Yahoo UK, but it won't load, as will few of the European Yahoos (LOL, we're all Yahoos over here), but the regional US Yahoos (there are more of you, fortunately ) load up no probs. Found out the helpline is also in English, but is forever busy and Charge Sfr 1.00 per minute .

Dedicate a big chunk of your HD to temp files and when you revisite pages they load instantly.

Also many providers (mine included) suck ass so they will sometimes be slow, sometimes fast. Slow mostly in afternoons to evenings because that's when they do their maintenance,

In our new house we have cable hooked up to a router. The router has a hardware firewall and our sever is password protected. If someone had the expertiece to break into our system then they wouldn't waste it on hacking into it. When we move oursevles into the house (only my dads office is curently in the house) i think i will get zone alarm too.

The only disadvantage of having a software firewall is the fact that you have to turn it off for some multiplayer games. Which will probally be the case with BCM and GCO.

Wolfrez, are those attempts to hack into your computer or just probes on your IP address? There is a difference between someone searching for a IP to hack and trying to break into the computer or network the IP represents.

quote:

Originally posted by Game_Ender:

Wolferz, are those attempts to hack into your computer or just probes on your IP address? There is a difference between someone searching for a IP to hack and trying to break into the computer or network the IP represents.

Any probe on your ports could be an attempt to break-in to your system. With Zone Alarm, for all intensive purposes, my PC just isn't there. It doesn't answer any ping or echo requests that were not initiated from my system, which is the first step for any hacker who is running a scanning program. What's really fun is the fact that a hacker can run scans for open ports on my IP and never receive a response, which makes his little scanner program run oh so slow.

Zone Alarm will ask you for permission to access the internet with any program that requires it. You can then set it to remember the choice. I have played many an online game with no problems whatsoever.

I have a three PC LAN set-up in my home, all using the same external DSL modem (connected through a 10/100 NIC, using PPPoE) through my machine. Fifty bucks a month for 680 Kbps downstream and 160 Kbps upstream. Downtime is rare. Schweet! I will NEVER go back to dial-up. In fact, my PC doesn't have a dial-up modem at all.

Windows ICS has been removed from all of them, (Which plugs that gaping hole that Unckie Bill gave us) opting instead for Sygate LAN Manager. Compared to others that I have tried, it works.

Was actually talking to a friend of mine who's a programmer, he said my problem was probably the firewall set up by my ISP on their ADSL server, before regressing into technical mumbo-jumbo at which point I had a Homer (you know, glazed look, 'blah blah blah' going in ear and out the other). Would this be a reasonable explanation and could anyone one explain it in Homer's terms?

It's not my firewall, if I turn off ZoneAlarm, it still happens.

Just an aside, had a fright yesterday, I have to connect my PC Modem/ADSL cable to a phone-jack in another room with the cable stretching across the living-room floor. This is not recommended with 2-year olds running around, as mine tripped over it and bust the phone-jack adaptor. Luckily the filter was not damaged and I had a spare adaptor.

Why do people build appartments with only 2 phone-sockets nowadays?

Wow! Thanks Tekrebel, posted my problem in the Speedguide forum and some guy helped me step by step how to change my MTU (now sitting at 1454 BTW, instead of the default 1500).

Can now access all links (also put in a registry tweak patch to accelerate page-loading times)

Great resource, thanks again.