Has LucasArts finally done it?

Menchise

Man, I remember Rebel Assault 2. Arguably one of the greatest (albeit very scripted) games I ever played. That was LucasArts, wasn't it? It was way ahead of its time. I don't know about this new one, it has gotten good reviews, and I won't even Start on the Jedi Knight series

Has LucasArts finally done it?

--------------------------------------------------

They used to do it, bakc in the days of Xvt and Jedi knight, the question is can they do it again?

Reciently every game they have come out with makes it obvious they fell flat on thier ass some where along the line. They lost the original qualities and atmosphere that made thier early games so good.

I tried the latest demo, it's not bad. I might have to go get the full version and give it a whirl.

A while back Bio ware aquired a liscens from Lucas Arts to do a Baulders Gate like game in the Star Wars Universe. This I can't wait to see.

Afetr reading Menchise's post, I went and tried the demo and to be quite honest I found it totally uninspiring; cartoony graphics and same old bog-standard RTS gameplay. I know they used the AoE licence / engine or whatever, but it was just AoE with SW units (and I got bored with AoE2 VERY quickly.

Force Commander had potential, but at the time my PC wasn't up to scratch and it got very mixed reviews. They could have done something very special with that, but no. Another Lucasarts bomb.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

The only thing I would really have liked to have seen would have been a star wars/elite/privateer style game.

With the same freedom/options as say frontier or privateer 2 if they got the feel of the universe right they could have sold millions but I think there trying something like it with Starwars Galaxies but more devoloped and including roleplaying.(sorry the RPG is the main aspect the space travel and ships,etc is a expansion pack)

SWG may be the only other online game I play (depending on how it turns out) after BCM multiplayer. I have never played a MMORPG before so it should be interesting to see.

Ahh Rebellion...those were the days. I have a friend who lives and breathes Star Wars. Yet, little ole me, who could give a rat's @$$...could crush the living daylights out of him in that game.

Fleets of SSDs, ISDs, VSDs, Gravwell gens...and more fighters than you can shake a stick at...

He really hated when I had Death Stars blow up his best ship right at the start of each battle.

Only thing I could never manage, was getting enough time in the game to train a new Jedi Knight. Ahh well...

SW Galaxies looks good, but I'll wait for BCO, thanks.