So I just left the Marine Recruiter's office...

Guest $iLk

Yes after filling out tons of paperwork and crap I am almost ready to decide on the Marine Corps. (don't worry Orion, won't be leaving for a while IF at all)

So what do you guys think? Any bad experiences with the military? I love our boys in green, and have always wanted to be one of them, and for no particular reason, the thought crept into my head to revisit my old idea of going in.

I was watching GI JOE, and figured I could probably hack it. Sgt. Slaughter would be tough to do well under though... anyway seriously - what do you guys think?

P.S. I'm pretty sure sitting on my ass playing Operation Flashpoint has prepared me for the hell ahead.

Best Wishes $ilk. You are doing what I could never do.

Why military type guys would be drawn to a military type game is beyond me but I have come to know, respect, and like many of the military and ex-military guys that post here.

Thank you for choosing to protect me.

In return I can only promise that I will continue to work and contribute to the economy. It is not much but the most I can do. You are by far making the greater sacrifice.

Thank you.

Heh, you're amongst friends here. Shohashi's a former Marine. I'm a former Marine. Gallion is former Army. Rattler, former Navy. Akira, former Air Force. Heck, maybe you should go Coast Guard so our cycle's complete.

No, seriously, the Corps is a great place to go. Takes a lot of hard work to become a Marine, but it's worth it.

Good luck $ilk if you do decide to go. But if you can try to get commisioned as an officer as they have more fun (read the Sun and you'll now).

Anyway the armed forces is a good career and if I could turn back the hands of time I would have been an air force pilot. My late brother in law was in the RAF and he never regreted it and loved every minute of it. He died a few month back of cancer but if he were still alive he would've continued to serve his country.

Thanks for the support guys...

I talked to my wife about it and she's all for it, but my mom is kind of luke-warm to the idea. My dad will probably want to publicly castrate me when I tell him.

But I feel like it's the right thing to do. I will be able to save up quite a bit of money while in though... that will let me get a good house when I get out.

Now I just need to decide on how long of an enlistment. I'm still iffy on what MOS I'm gonna try. I would go straight infantry but it's not like I can kill for a living in the civilian world when I get out... I might see what's open for me, I scored 85 on the practice ASVAB, and am going to try and take the real one this week.

I could work on communications equipment, or be a combat radio operator or something. I'll see how well I shoot and decide what I want to do I guess.

I was in the Army for 4 years, but I was single at the time. That made it a lot easier, and a lot more fun!!

Go for Commo, I was a Tactical Communications Maintainer, worked on Tanks, and just about every other vehicle the Army has.

Was fun, the marines was never even an option for me, 12 weeks of basic was not my idea of a good time.

Wanted to join the guard or go in the reserves, but my wife had a total cow, and so I gave it up. Guess I will have to remain in the unorganized Militia...

Good Luck $iLk, work hard and carry out your orders and you will be good to go.

I loved the military, and so hopefully you will as well.

Good Luck!!

I am in Seattle for the next week or so, won't be on as much until I get home, 56K sucks and it isn't what you would call reliable.

Anyway, good luck and have fun, and make sure your wife understands EXACTLY what you are asking of her. THe military life is not easy on a marriage at the beginning, and if you go to Korea or Turkey or some other fun place like that, she stays home and you leave for a year. MAKE VERY SURE SHE understands and is willing to put up wth that. If not, well..... I think you get the picture.

My wife and mother "conspired" to get me out of the air force. Details available from one of my first few posts.

Anyway basic training should be a breeze for you $ilk as from your previous posts, you sound fit and disciplined.

Oh yeah be really good friends with your direct superior and his boss. You'll understand why.

I used to be in better shape, getting married will do that to you...laugh.gif

The Recruiter said that I can train with the reserve unit in Mobile until I get in top form so that boot camp will be a breeze. My friend did the same thing, he just got out last week from bootcamp, and from what he says, it's mostly a mental thing.

I also was in the NJROTC for 4 years so I get a paygrade jump for that.

I have a couple questions, how hard is it for me to get on base housing with a wife and kids?

And how much does the military compensate you if you HAVE to live off base?

quote:

I used to be in better shape, getting married will do that to you...

Tell me about it.

The rest of your questions I can't really answer as it's the US military. But I was offered officer's quarters when I applied.

$ilk, go for the catering corp. We all need chefs

'Join the US marine catering corp ; travel the world, see interesting places, meet interesting people.....then roast them on a low heat, baste with red wine sauce and serve with garnish and salad'

Well I'm heading to Montgomery Alabama tommorow to take my test and have my physical... The idea of being naked in a room with a bunch of other naked men doesn't appeal to me much though... corkysm54.gif

I scored 85 on the practice test, but he said I should do better on the main one.

Recruiter will come over to my house tonight to discuss base housing and such. I've got to give him my Birth Cert, my SSC, my wife's Birth Cert, her SSC, my son's Birth Cert, his SSC, and my High School Diploma, and my marriage license.

He says that's for when I go in she will be able to shop at the Military Xchange or whatever. Tax-free.

I don't know why I didn't go in before... I guess while I'm still young I should get in.

snipersmilie.gif

quote:

God help us all.....

I hear you on that Fendi. JJ as a zero? Allah help us all

$ilk remember this - soap on a rope and don't drop it

This test is serious one so don't bollo it. Better the score - the better MOS, RATE, Career, or Job that you can get. Unless you want to be the Ultimate Weapon - Infantry!

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children are not noted for the techie type MOSs - unless inflight missile repairer counts. So if you get a book to look at, before choosing your MOS, then RTB very, very, carefully. Pay attention to any and all fine print.

Don't expect a big BHA quarters allowence until you start climbing the rank latter. And what ever you do - Do NOT piss Gunney Off.

You have been warned

TTFN

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Silk wrote:

quote:

Yes after filling out tons of paperwork and crap I am almost ready to decide on the Marine Corps. (don't worry Orion, won't be leaving for a while IF at all)

Good choice, Silk!

Aramike wrote:

quote:

No, seriously, the Corps is a great place to go. Takes a lot of hard work to become a Marine, but it's worth it.

Aramike's right on this. Also, even when you get out, you're still a Marine..hence the saying, "Once a Marine, always a Marine."

Silk wrote:

quote:

I could work on communications equipment, or be a combat radio operator or something. I'll see how well I shoot and decide what I want to do I guess.

I was a Field Radio Operator in the Corps..MOS 2531. School for it is at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in 29 Palms California...right in the Mojave desert. It was a good MOS...I lucked out and was assigned to an amphibious tracked vehicle battalion. So basically I manned radios in a command track. Some other 2531s get assigned to infantry units and such. My company also had Communications Techs that repaired comm equipment as well.

Gallion wrote:

quote:

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children are not noted for the techie type MOSs - unless inflight missile repairer

C'mon, Gallion, I thought you were better than that! The nice thing that I noted while in the Corps, when you are an E-4 you are someone..you are an NCO. While in the Army National Guard, I noted that when you are an E-4 there, they are a dime a dozen..cannon fodder for work details!

Anyways, Silk...you need anymore Corps questions answered..just talk to Aramike and myself..we won't steer you wrong!

Yeah it looks as though the MOS's I'm deciding on end up in 29 Palms CA.

It looks as though I'm fixing to get a 4 year enlistment. I'm supposed to sign the papers in two days. Assuming I pass the physical... but he's making me take my nipple rings out...

Oh well, won't be able to wear them in boot camp anyway...

Before you guys think I'm all weird, that's the only piercings I have. (I was bored one day - same reason I got my tattoo... )

Anyhoo, I feel a little shaken now that I'm so close to going... it's cool though.

So after Boot, I go to my MOS school. How hard will it be for me to get housing for me, wife and kids if the school lasts awhile? Is it easy to get housing>? How long do classes last, and what do you do in-between or afterwards? Work out? How does the work time work out during MOS school?

My only dread is I won't get to see my wife and kids too much...

And how hard will it be to get a decent DSL line put into base housing? I'm sure MP will be out by then.

Silk wrote:

quote:

So after Boot, I go to my MOS school. How hard will it be for me to get housing for me, wife and kids if the school lasts awhile? Is it easy to get housing>? How long do classes last, and what do you do in-between or afterwards? Work out? How does the work time work out during MOS school?

I can only speak for the Field Radio Operator MOS at 29 Palms. When I was there..the school was "self-paced", meaning you could breeze through it fast or you could take your time on it. I took my time in it and graduated in I think 2 months. The reason I took my time was because of all the fun I had in Tijuana, Mexico. I'd always catch the bus from the base on Friday nights after school take it to San Diego and catch the trolley to the border. I'd spend the weekend in a cheap hotel room in Tijuana then head back to the base on Sunday afternoon.

Classes, if I remember correctly, ran from 7:30AM till 4:00PM Monday through Friday with an hour and a half lunch. I'm not sure how they would do the family thing there, Silk. Being that the school isn't that long, I don't think it would really be worth it to bring the family along...or let alone if they'll allow you. You'll just have to ask. After class, you basically were on your time...you can visit the PX, go to onbase clubs or head out in town to 29 Palms.

Silk wrote:

quote:

My only dread is I won't get to see my wife and kids too much...

Unfortunately, that's one of the realities about being in the military and having a family...and if you go on a float, you might not see them for months. Heck, bootcamp is 13+ weeks long alone.

Silk wrote:

quote:

And how hard will it be to get a decent DSL line put into base housing? I'm sure MP will be out by then.

I don't know...when I was in computers weren't found that much in the barracks.

Akira wrote:

quote:

P.S., Damn, Sho, I didn't know you were...

Hehehe..you're my superior and you didn't know that?

Ok $ilk, here is my 2 cents..

1. Whats your education level. If you have college then you should look into routes to a commision. Dont let those years go to waste. If not, The Armed Services offers excellent educational opportunities..(Tuition Assistance pays 75%). Take advantage of it!!

2. Did they offer you an Sign on bonuses (dont care how much). Sometimes they have a bonus just for enlisting in a particular field ($7000 in some Navy ratings..seen $8k to army). If you havent been offered, ASK!! Sometimes they wont tell (seen it happen). But if you ask they have to. Sides what can it hurt.

3. If they offer you any savings and/or educational programs, I'd suggest that you take it. You can always cancel it or put in the least amount possible later. But sometimes it is a one time deal or other circumstances may come up that you wont get a chance to apply/enter later.

4. Before choosing an MOS Make sure it is complimentary with your own personal interests. Yes you are serving your country..But make sure you will be happy while you do it. Ask the recruiter how can your interests/hobbies be used to best serve the Corps. He should help you with that.

5. Are you interested in any commisioning programs. If so ASK. If you are interested let me know. I know some Outstanding Marine Corps officers that would gladly correspond with you and help you with such a decision...Free of charge. Before righting off the Officer corps, look at the payscale. If money isnt an issue, good on ya, but consider the advantages for your family...Better Housing, better Facilities, and as some people like to say RHIP (Rank Has Its Privledges SP?) I hate the term myself but be that as it may it is true. This can get your wife better parking while shopping for groceries, More respect/better service when going to medical.

Think about it. Its not for everyone but someone has to do it.

6. Lastly you asked about compensation for if you have to live off base. You will get BHA (Basic Allowance for Housing) this is Location and Paygrade dependent. Could be anywhere from couple hundred dollars to more than a $1000.00. really depends. Call to the base you think you will be stationed at and ask them (ask for base housing or family services they may even have a website). Also ask them what is the waiting list for a person of your paygrade (yes this is rank dependent to some extent).

7. It can be rough at first..Low pay for Lots of hassle. The amount of respect you recieve is primarily rank dependent vice your age. So be ready to be treated like a kid for awhile. Takes a special breed to choose the path you have chosen. Even more special to stick it out beyond the 1st term.

I'm Navy and have been for over 16yrs now (enlisted)..(Retire Soon..one more tour!!!) I appologize for being so long winded but I've done some Career counseling and HATE it when I see people Screwed before they even walk through the door. Since I'm not Marine I may not have everything on the mark, but I should be pretty darn close. But as you know we got some good guys here so looks like you are in good hands!!

Good Luck!!

By the way. Boot Camp is nothing but a MiNd gAMe...Its all up there.