MCGR Testing

Menchise

Well, my holidays have begun, which means that I am finally going to finish (read: remake from scratch for the third time) my game review site. This will be my first website developed with 0% WYSIWYG (to hell with Dreamweaver! ).

This thread is for user feedback on the various test pages I'll be developing, which will determine how the entire site will look in the end (if I ever get to the end ).

The first of these is a test page for an early version of the main CSS I'm writing for the site. I'm looking for feedback on the colour scheme, type face (paragraphs only), and whether your web browser is configured to override the document's font and colour settings.

EDIT: Initial testing is complete.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Menchise ]

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

Well, my holidays have begun, which means that I am finally going to finish (read: remake from scratch for the third time) my game review site. This will be my first website developed with 0% WYSIWYG (to hell with Dreamweaver! ).

This thread is for user feedback on the various test pages I'll be developing, which will determine how the entire site will look in the end (if I ever get to the end ).

The first of these is a test page for an early version of the main CSS I'm writing for the site. I'm looking for feedback on the colour scheme, type face (paragraphs only), and whether your web browser is configured to override the document's font and colour settings.

I like the idea of going with a non-white background. Anything that breaks the boring design standards is good, but a slightly darker blue might look a bit better. As it stands, the blue you're using looks a bit too soft and I always associate softer colors with less tech-savvy sites. The sharper, darker blue color scheme on the BCM forum, for instance, gives a high-tech feeling and as an added bonus it's easy on the eyes.

As far as fonts go, verdana is always nice looking. I'd recommend not using times new roman anywhere, though, even on the headings.

Anyway, just my opinion. Good luck with the site, looking forward to seeing what you decide on for a layout.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Simparadox ]

I did all the placement and effects tags on This site with Notepad.

Only the pictures and flash title were made from other programs, but still placed in the notepad editor. The order form on the order page I did using a mail call function. I also did a seperate one I never implemented with CGI script.

Thank you, Simparadox.

I agree with your opinion on the background and I have made some small changes to the test page. I reduced the level of blue to a mid tone (in terms of the websafe palette), but I decided to maintain the minimum level of websafe green (which softens the blue a little) because for some reason it makes the text stand out more, especially the visited links.

My biggest concerns at the moment are with the browser settings issue that was mentioned in my first post and whether the Verdana font is on most computers.

I have just discovered a new issue that I would like some feedback on. Apparently, there are some inconsistencies in the way that web browsers process CSS code, especially when DIV tags with borders and/or backgrounds are involved.

As far as I can tell so far, IE 4 is more forgiving with CSS mark-up errors, including my mistake of setting the text colour within the body tag instead of the paragraph and heading tags, but Netscape 4 is more successful in doing what I want it to do when the errors are corrected, such as aligning the border to the centre and sizing it relative to the content inside (IE4 cannot seem to align it or properly size it without a defined width value).

I'm curious about how other browsers (including later versions of Netscape and IE) react to the bordered area at the end of the test page, which is supposed to have the same text colour as the rest of the page, a slightly darker background, a light grey border, and centre alignment. My CSS code does not have a defined width value for the class, so the browser should size the border relative to the content.

• 1 month later...

hmmm... well I think he could have left off the story that took 3/4 of the review space, and played the game more so that he would have more to say. I'd guess he played about 10 minutes.

Retro-page = flashback to the beginning of the web.

Webpages were simple back in the beginning. No flashy graphics or fancy-pancy page layouts, just simple pages displayin what ever info the webpage creator wanted to show.

TTFN

Recommendation...

Unless you plan on moving it off Geocities, try to make the text not go under that annoying side banner popup that geocities always has. Otherwise, each new link you click on, you have to get rid of the popup again.

Of course, another recommendation is to get it off Geocities....

I've been thinking about leaving Geocities for some time. It used to be a great place to make a website: it had a fun theme (suburbs, addresses etc.) and a real sense of community. When the company merged with Yahoo! the whole experience was sterilized. The community element was removed and the advertising became more intrusive. That Ad Square really pisses me off; it's far worse than a pop-up.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Menchise ]

• 2 weeks later...

Allow me to be your first. SimTower review sent.

I can also do Master of Orion II, Caesar II, and Civ II. However, Caesar II I played only on the Macintosh, and it wasn't that memorable. I'd have to dig it out again to see how it works. Lest I confuse it with Caesar III/Pharoah/Zeus.

BTW, do you only plan on reviewing older games?

quote:

Allow me to be your first. SimTower review sent.

Reading...

quote:

I can also do Master of Orion II, Caesar II, and Civ II.

Civ II is not on the Readers' List.

quote:

BTW, do you only plan on reviewing older games?

Well, most of the games I have played are older games. The most recent (in terms of their release dates) are BCM, Gabriel Knight 3, and System Shock 2. The majority of my purchases in the past year have been collections of game series.

[ 01-30-2002, 00:26: Message edited by: Menchise ]

Guest Grayfox

ahhh 688 attack sub... that was one cool game... still is even by today's standards. god i cant believe i was in 8th grade when that came out

heh, hows aboot a review on MG2: Solid Snake for the ole FMSX??? (remember that thing?)

excellent review Menchise

Guest Grayfox

never heard of it??? wow ever heard of metal gear? for the original famicom (nintendo)? well the original sequel for it came out on the FMSX. very deep game for being as old as it is. "Tactical Action Espionage" as the style of gameplay was called.

theres a summary of it here look at the photos of the characters and check out the one of gray fox, and tell me he doesnt look like tom berringer lol.