What do you recommend for a graphics card?

Brian1

My Voodoo3 1000 15 MB just cant handle space mode in BCM. Even with my program launch line being

bcm -n -ng -nm -nd1 -nd2

*sigh*

So I am looking for a new video card. What to people recommend? I'm looking for a price range from $150 to $250 CDN.

Primary goals are two fold:

1) a company that is still in business and supporting their product with new drivers (dam it like a beaver)

2) capable of running BCM

Any help would be appreciated

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

GeForce 3 Ti 200. It's cheaper than a normal GF3 and with only slightly less (a fraction?)performance of the normal GF3

GeForce3 ti200 would definetly be the way to go. There's a noticeable performance difference between it and the regular GeForce3 (and a somewhat significant difference between it and the GeForce3 ti500), but it's still a great card and should run BCM without a problem. Don't expect complete smoothness, though, I think just about everyone gets framerate dips in huge battles.

quote:

Originally posted by JaxFox:

I agree, save your money and get a Geforce3 Ti 500.

Best thing in the long run

Actually, if you're going to spend that much money I'd recommend the Radeon 8500. The drivers are improved and it's actually a faster card than the Ti500. Check out gamershq.madonion.com, they have a hall of fame listing the highest benchmarks based on video card type.

Then again, I don't know how much I'd trust that list. I just noticed the Ti200 is rated above the standard GeForce3 (which is definetly not the case based on my personal experience and every review/benchmark I've ever seen, not that the Ti200 isn't an awesome card).

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

better than GeForce 3?

Yup it's much better especially the fact that it uses less memmory to run it. Can you believe it only has 8mb video ram? I have one for sale now if you are intersted for say $120.

He probably meant the TI 200. I havn't seen any TI 500 cards in that price range, even on sale or with rebates.

As far as which one I recommend? If your budget allows, the TI 200. They can be had for under $200 all over the place.

If all else fails and you have to spend well under $100... a GF2 MX 32MB or 64MB still work. Not incredible, but they work.

While you guys are on this topic I have a question,

Im buying a new system and Im torn , I am not really a tech guy so I was wondering should I go with a

P4 1.7 /G3 Ti 200/512 Meg PC800 Ram

or

P4 1.7/G3 Ti 500/ 256 Meg PC 800 Ram

Is PC Ram that much better?

specifically for BCM.. which is better

Thanks for any helpful advice.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I highly recommend any card based on the S3 chipset. Second choice would be any Rendition based card.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Actually I was talking about the SCs comment. I am still thinking if it was ment to be funny or taken seriously. There was time when I used Diamond Viper II z200, I believe it was based on S3 chipset, so unless there's something I don't know it sucks. So because there's no smilies in SCs post, and I don't know anything else about S3 chipset besides what I know about that Diamond card I am left wondering.

Hi folks...

Made my own choice.

Selection was for a Inno Geforce2 64MB card...

at 129 CDN... roughly 85 USD.

Can't beat that for the price.

Used the extra money to get another 128MB PC RAM chip too. (now at 256MB)

Battlecruiser running quite fine.

AS to the gentlemen considering whether to get the better video card vs PC ram...

You can also add more PC ram later... you can't transform the video card into the better model.

Get the better video card now and in a month or two get the more RAM.

Check with the maker of your system to make sure it will be an easy matter of just clicking in more memory modules to increase the ram.

Technical reference:

ram is composed of the several slots on your system... say A, B, C, D. Memory modules are then put in in certain combinations... choices controlled by motherboard limitations.

If you have 64MB modules in A and B you get 128 MB

64MB in all four equals 256 MB ram

but 128 MB in slot A = 128 total

128 MB in A + B = 256 MB

In the later example C+D are free... meaning you might be able to drop in another 128 MB chips in C+D to go up to 512 MB. This would be at your discretion.

I want to hear why the SC thinks the S3 cards are so great.

I'm on the verge of finally being able to afford a GF3. I'm going to get it no matter what the SC says. (Not just for BCM, there are a few games that the GF3 is a good choice for) But I would like to hear why he thinks these other cards are better.

Because, frankly, the S3 cards are far superior to anything released in the past 200 years. Just go buy one and see what I mean! I think you can get a Virge from Ebay for.. something like, two dollars?

Edit: Oh, wait, here we go, a high quality top of the line S3 Virge video card. Rock on!

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Parias ]

quote:

Originally posted by Oban:

While you guys are on this topic I have a question,

Im buying a new system and Im torn , I am not really a tech guy so I was wondering should I go with a

P4 1.7 /G3 Ti 200/512 Meg PC800 Ram

or

P4 1.7/G3 Ti 500/ 256 Meg PC 800 Ram

Is PC Ram that much better?

specifically for BCM.. which is better

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Personally I would not get any less than 512MB RAM today. Games are beginning to require 256MB just to be playable at full content detail, and with the next generation (all those Unreal 2 and Doom III engine based games) things will keep moving in that direction. RAM gives the memory-hog-of-an-OS Windows XP the breathing room it needs.

I must also disagree with the performance delta between GF3/Ti500 and GF3/Ti200, outside very high resolutions, it really is not that significant.

Furthermore; not to start a CPU war or anything, but since price is set, why not consider an AMD Athlon XP-based system? You could propably get a higher performing Athlon XP 1700+ rig wíth 512MB DDR at a lower price point than a P4 1.7GHz/256MB PC800. Today the reliability of the best Athlon platforms is equal to that of best P4s.