FBI Crack Down on Warez

Malkuth

If FBI crack down on warez sites, so be it. If they could have done this before, may be Cavedog would still be in business.

I pay for every games I like to play,

also for my antivirus other utility soft but I will NOT submit to the "microsoft mandatory tax system".

While doing a warez cleaning the FBI could also cope with the big fish.

I personally think Warez deserve to go I have bought every single piece of software I own/use(including O/S's, Office installs and games(off course))

Warez take money from hard working devolopers who while not perfect put (in the majority of cases anyway) alot of work into their products and therefore take jobs aswell.

If I'm looking to buy a new game I play the official demo(s) read the reviews listen to friends that have played the game and then decide whethar to buy it(I often go on an impulse aswell IE BC3K). If you can't afford to buy the software you want you should not have a computer simple!

Hello,

I am not against so called warez. Here, in The Netherlands, if you buy any software, doesn't matter if it costs $1 or $1M, you can not return it if you opened the box. Doesn't matter if the software wasn't even included, you got a scratched CD, game doesn't work, or, when something isn't or doesn't do what it is supposed to. So, that means you can not test any software to see if it suits your purpose, and so these warez can be used to see if something might be valuable enough to buy.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

Okay, here's my shot at saying something sorta political here....

Um....

Okay, in my point of view, warez has been one of the major roles of jacked-up prices for software recently. Last time I checked, it was what--$129 US for MS Word 2002 Upgrade..... To me, it's a deadly combination between a weak market with small competition (*ahem* Microsoft vs. who else?), and the fact that warez is around that raises prices through the roof.

But enough of *****ing about prices. I think that it's about time that someone started to pass and enforce stricter laws regarding copyrights and EULA's of software. I mean, warez is everywhere on the internet now. It's just like meth or dope--just for the crazed internet folk; the only problem is that no one seems to be fighting it with enough force, unlike drugs.

quote:

Originally posted by Wody:

I am not against so called warez. Here, in The Netherlands, if you buy any software, doesn't matter if it costs $1 or $1M, you can not return it if you opened the box. Doesn't matter if the software wasn't even included, you got a scratched CD, game doesn't work, or, when something isn't or doesn't do what it is supposed to. So, that means you can not test any software to see if it suits your purpose, and so these warez can be used to see if something might be valuable enough to buy.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

That doesn't make it any more legal. Even in the US, there are still problems with returing opened software some of the time. So would that give you the right to get a copy before you buy it?

Let me put it this way: do you steal something from the store, just to see if it's all good with you? No. That's what fitting rooms for clothes, previews and commercials for movies/videos, and demos are for games.

----------

Remember that -pzy- guy who posted the nfo for BCM? Well, he sent me an e-mail right after he got banned, about "the scene"..... He sent me a link to a public FTP that's been "manipulated to hold illegal software" (in his words). All of this was being done under the noses of the admins. And yes, it worked; but I couldn't get in without a password to verify any further.

Yes, you heard me. Public servers used to house warez and such. The FBI appears to have some work ahead of them.

---------

So, I'm the goodie-goodie. Oooohhh.. *waves arms sarcastically* Yes, I'm young. I've got a lot to learn. But I've already seen both ends of this spectrum, and as of now, I'm way against this stuff. Hey, someday you just might see me as a person in an anti-internet crime group.

But for now, I'm left up to standing on the sidelines of the internet battlefield, and pestering my senators and/or representatives to pass legislation on internet crime.

This is where it begins. The beginning of what? Beats me. Probably the beginning of the end for internet crime. (I said the only the beginning, because I don't expect any progress on this for a long time......)

Err... So this ends my first multi-paragraph political post......

Nova, over and out.

*hides under a rock*

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

What's good for the developer's is good for the gamers, as far as I'm concerned. If you think that purchasing a USD 50.00 pc game in US is expensive try purchasing the same game over here in Malaysia. It actually costs me RM 179.00 and above after conversion. But in only costs RM 8.00 for a pirated game.

So I say get rid of warez, in fact bring international pressure on software pirateers all over the world most especially the Asian countries like my country that is notorious for having all sorts of pirated software including BCM!!!

Yes, I saw, if the SC want's proof I will purchase the darn thing and mail it to him.

Without piracy developers can be rest assured that all their hard work will be paid accordingly and that means prices of software can go down.

ANY one that defends warez and piracy with the excuse of Freedom of Dissemination can kiss my @@$

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

Well on my side I don't have money to buy tons of games. And quite frankly, I'm do NOT mean a loss in profits to the concerned companies, because if there was no warez, I would not buy the game anyway...

I don't like warez. But it's my only solution.

I can remember the lasts games I paid for, although there are many on my comp. Last one was BCM. Then before it was Jane's Fighter anthology. Then HL: opfor. Then BC3k. Then it's too far to remember (more than 2 years)

I bought 4 games in 2 years. I have currently have 27 installed (not counting demos and free stuff).

I never bought any app (non-game). I have 3ds max r4, truespace 4.2, office 97, paint shop pro 6, and Norton anti-virus 2002 and, of course, windows 98se. I had truespace 2, windows 95, win3.1, psp5. I would never have gotten anything of this (well maybe windows...) if it wasn't because of warez.

I would have bought all of this... I prefer to be honest... but when you can't...

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Well, E5, I must say that's pretty dissappointing to see you got all that stuff warez. In my opinion, if you don't have the money, you have no business even considering buying the game/application or whatever. Pirates and warez stinks. Period.

If I was that worried, I'd PM someone about it. Concerning the Underdogs, I only think they have games that were released for free (Battlecrusier 2.0x is there), but I'm not sure on that.

quote:

He will be missed.

*sniff*

quote:

Hey uhh does abandon games count as warez? i mean from the underdogs and the like? if so could someone plz warn me bfor sc sees my post and i get banned too...

If you're concerned about the content of your post, edit or delete it.

On a sidenote Abandonware by definition is not warez. (although some sites shunt warez as abandonware) true abandonware is software that has been re-released as freeware and the readme/eula in most cases reflects this. If any abandonware you have does not state that it is abandonware/freeware in the documentation then be careful because it is probably warez (even though it's probably over five years old and is no longer in production, it's still warez )

Well, this is definately a multi-faceted issiue. In fact, I did some research and discovered that it was Bill Gates himself that came up with the idea of selling software and the concept of piracy. In the beginning, everyone simply shared their programs. Well, if it wasn't for him, it wouldn't be a money making industry and we probably wouldn't see the caliber of software out there today. Score one for Capitolism.

Rules are rules and the law is the rules. Don't do it. That simple. Get a job, mooch your parents. Do things for money to get the software you like.

Of course, there is the issue of high-caliber programs like Word Processers, Office software, OSes, and 3D Rendering programs. $50 can hurt some people bad enough. Asking $120 so that the latest game will work can drive some people to do illegal things. Also, think about how many talented 3D artists that would not be out there if they didn't pirate 3D Max? I think that would be a loss to the artistic community. Of course, does this mean that you can go to the art store and make off with their paints? No. But I think that some companies need to reevaluate the intellectual value of their software and their USER base... not their customer base. This only applies to those who charge an arm and a leg for their software.

In Las Vegas, there are these computer shows that come to town and sell various software and hardware. Some of these games are of questionable origin. I bought Mechwarrior Mercenaries there for $20. There was a little lable placed on the bottom of the box. When I got home I removed it. It said "Asian Version only, not for sale out side of asia." Oh... great. Well, the show was over and that guy was long gone. My dad bought the latest Office and Windows OS from the same guy. Both were OEM versions not for individual sale unbeknownst to us. But we did buy them... this guy was affiliated with a major computer show... who's at fault? (this was a few years ago and we bought the latest versions of both of those since then from my university.)

As long as their are rules, there are rules breakers. It's as old as human civilization itself. The question is what do we do about it here an now.

My 2 cents.

quote:

Originally posted by Baloogan:

Hey uhh does abandon games count as warez? i mean from the underdogs and the like? if so could someone plz warn me bfor sc sees my post and i get banned too...

Actually, Underdogs is a more or less legit site. I've never seen them leave a program up if the developer has a problem with it. Sure, this is probably under the threat of some sort of legal action - but who cares? They're still doing the "right" thing.

quote:

Originally posted by Baloogan:

Hey uhh does abandon games count as warez? i mean from the underdogs and the like?

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Baloogan ]

Not unless the site hosting it didn't get permission. Rule of thumb, if its on, say, The Underdogs, there is a good chance that they got permission to host it.

quote:

Originally posted by buckthesystem:

It's called stupidity

Indeed. Anyway, am sure he'll be back but I will discuss this matter with the others sometime next year and go from there.

Until then, I've already deleted his profile and removed him from Orion fleet.

There is NO excuse for pirating software - NONE. And if you're doing it, do NOT brag about it on my site. I mean, wtf?? Thats like a smack in the face considering that my very own software was pirated the first week it came out. I don't care if E5 bought BCM or not.

E5. Wasn't he a pretty long member in this comunity? The whole opinion of him just kinda went down the drain. That's a shame.

Anyway. Warez is wrong. I burned 1 game in my life and that was because I had some VERY bad problems with the original CD (for some reason safedisk from the original cd wouldn't let me play). To troubleshoot I had to buy new cd-rom, found out it wasn't the problem that was causing the safedisk not letting me play, return the cd-rom, loose 15bucks repackaging fee (I also paid $40 for the game) then reinstall my OS as per developers recomendation, went back to the mall and exchanged the disk (recomendation) anyway at the end of the day I spend 12 hours trying to get that game to work and about $80 in game cost, repackaging fees, fuel ect... That got me so POed that I just went and found a warez site, burned the game and used the cracked .exe file.

A week later though my concience just got to me though and I basically disposed of the disk and washed my hands of it.

Here's the bottom line: if you can't buy a car, you can't just TAKE it. Why should software be any different?

I don't want to see EP5 go, not at all. He's been great for this community. And I applaude his honesty in the matter.

But still, even if you admit you stole a car you still have to pay the price.

I'm sure this will straighten itself out at some point and he'll be back. Regardless of what you may think, Derek is quite forgiving of people (I hope that wasn't a secret ). I've seen more than one banned individual return.

E5, Damn dude!

warez is bad, bad, bad. I own a Pc co, a small on but still, in the 4 yrs I have been in bussiness, you would not beleave the number of people that try to get os's and anything under the sun for nothing. It hurts me, and it hurts the people who take the time to write the code.

rp-crosses arms and blocks air lock, and kicks rock off of Commander Nova, 'Get up boy, you are right-rp