No power-ups? Aaawwwww

Supreme Cmdr

heh, I was over at VE browsing, then I came across the features listed for Unreal Tournament 2. This entry caught my eye

No more ammo packs, armour and medpacks. Replaced by recharge platforms: one for heath, one for armour and one for weapons. You will be recharged progressively while standing on the platform.

Wait'll I catch the bastard who ripped my idea right out of BCM

Bah, never mind station camping - some l33t ha><0r is going to jump onto the station platform and just stay there while his teammates, out of ammo, struggle in vain to move his ass off somehow because he's in the way. Tribes, anyone?

Sigh. Something must be done to deal with a**holes.

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Gryphon:

Bah, never mind station camping - some l33t ha>Sigh. Something must be done to deal with a**holes.

Cheers!

Which is why I have a timer in mp that throws you right off the damn platform.

On certain TFC maps where ammo backpacks would give you ammo, health, and armor, I do remember quite a bit of camping.

Though those backpacks usually weren't in great camping spots, on a few certain maps, such as dustbowl and warpath, I could just sit on those ammo packs as a heavy weapon guy and fire my chaingun for the entire map duration without having to stop once for reloading.

Didn't do much damage at that range, but if you spew enough lead at anything, it'll hurt.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

And how do you prevent people from camping near the platform? Like in one of the screenies where you stay on a solar powerplant near a supply station?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Good idea. That's exactly what many of the most popular Tribes/Tribes 2 mods did.

Of course, that still doesn't help when you've got an enemy camping right next to your station.... *laughs maniacally*

quote:

Originally posted by LordDavid:

Well, didn't you rip this right out of Tribes?

Not really. If you've played BCM in fp mode and Tribes, you will notice the difference.

Besides, Tribes still has power ups etc and their stations are used for various issues which are class based.

BCM fp mode is not class based, you don't pickup 'powerups' from the terrain etc.

And you clearly missed the point I was making wrt to the station types and what they do. BCM has three distinct types. Tribes has one I think. Unreal2 comes up with three distinct types.

Also, stations in BCM fp mode fit into the game's design in which you don't see pickups littering the terrain, ready for pickup by vehicle or craft - not even in space. Picking up powerups from the terrain etc is classic fp style catering specifically to the twitch fest nature of fp shooters. You can hardly call BCM fp mode a twitch fest.

It all boils down to the same thing. After a while, games begin to feature the same derivative style of play pioneered by others. e.g. the very concept of space flight sims. The distinction is how one game differentiates and positions itself in the recreation of such derivative in fitting within its own style of gameplay. Game Design 101

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]