Car nightmares...

Simparadox

Sorry about this little rant everyone (since it's totally off-topic, even for an off-topic forum ). So, y'know, just delete it or something, but I needed somewhere to vent...

Six months ago I got into an accident and my car (my beautiful SC400 ) was totalled. The accident was not my fault (I was, more or less, pushed off the road by another car), but the police report made it sound like both myself and the other person were equally at fault. So my insurance goes through the roof (as if it wasn't high enough already) and to make matters worse I don't get anywhere near a fair value for my car from the insurance company.

Whatever.

Anyway, I decided to wait a few months so that I could add a few thousand to the money from insurance and I've been driving my dad's Mustang ever since. Over the past couple of weeks I've been going to dealerships, test driving cars, checking prices, etc. This is the first time I've had to do this (the SC was my first car) and I think my frustration level is just below the "flip out and go on a rampage" level.

Why is it that cars salesmen think they're doing you a favor by selling you a car? Isn't that their job? Aren't they the ones making money when I drive the car off the lot? Acura dealerships, specifically, have been the worst. I've been to two, and at both of them it took almost an hour of arguing just to get a damn ten or fifteen minute test drive. What's even worse is that the only cars I wanted to test drive were an RSX-S and a CL-S - the two most inexpensive cars Acura makes. I could have easily taken out a check and paid for the RSX-S on the spot - yet it still took an endless amount of bickering to try the car.

And don't even get me started at what I went through at the Subaru dealership. What makes it even worse is that they made me wait a week for a credit check which only confirmed that I'd been making payments flawlessly on my old car for a year and a half.

Is it just Connecticut? Do we just have the worst salespeople on Earth? Is it my age? Why the **** is it so hard to get salesperson to actually sell me something? Why is it that I have to get into an argument with them just to get a tiny bit of satisfiction? Isn't it bad enough I had to go through a bad accident, deal with the person who hit me, and take a beating from my insurance because of it?

Ugh.

Sorry, everyone. Had to get that off my chest...

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Simparadox ]

Salesmen that sell things? Are you out of your mind?!

I loved this...it happened just recently.

I picked up a few things at a local 7-11 last night to make dinner and the store was empty except for me and the guy running the place. I walked up to the register, put the things on the counter, and he looked at me with a blank expression.

Cashier: What do you want?

Me: (stunned pause) I'd like to buy these things.

Cashier: Huh? Oh...with cash?

Me: Umm...yes.

True story! I am not making this up!

I feel for you, I really really do, man, what a pain in the arse!!

My advice would be this, use the internet to find yourself a car. Forget those goofy salespeople.

If you are young, they will NOT take you seriously, so do it the great no face way, with the internet.

The other thing you might try is this, go to the bank and get a cashiers check or money order for about 10-15% less then the car you want. Go to the dealer, if the salesmen ignores you, walk up to the sales manager, wave the check slowly in front of his face, then tell him what car you want to drive. They will not ignore you after that.

They will kiss up to you like no ones business, I am in Sales, take this as gospel, because they want that cash, and will do just about anything to get it out of your pocket and into thiers.

Then, if you are dissatisfied, walk away, and I mean WALK!! They will cry thier little eyes out!!

Revenge is sweet my friend, do it!! LOL

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

IMy advice would be this, use the internet to find yourself a car. Forget those goofy salespeople.

Don't do that unless you want to go through the hassle that I'm going through. Sure its cheaper but is the hassle worth it?

Go to a bank and take out a personal loan. Then search around for a good second hand car. Make sure you either have a qualified mechanic with you. Once you've found the one you want get an HPI check on it to see its not been stolen. Whatever you do do not buy the first car you see.

Trust me on this one, I've been through more cars than almost anyone here on this forum.

Ahhhhh...Cant help myself..must..post replyyy

In my experience Car Salesman have what we want (a car), we have what they want (money). But we have the advantage...There are many car dealers, and only one of us.

Visit different lots. When you talk to a Salesman, Tell him what you are willing to pay. Usually they will make another offer...higher than what you want to pay.

Ask him for his card and write the car and price on it.

At next dealership do same thing but this time tell him that So and So offered to sell for (look at card) X$'s. And ask if he can beat it. If not do like the man said WALK!!

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar

The other thing you might try is this, go to the bank and get a cashiers check or money order for about 10-15% less then the car you want. Go to the dealer, if the salesmen ignores you, walk up to the sales manager, wave the check slowly in front of his face, then tell him what car you want to drive. They will not ignore you after that.

That is one of the best tactics. Get a pre-approved loan for the amount you are willing to pay. Tell the Dealer that this is all you have to work with..period. If he says he cant work with it give him your name and number (preferably cell) and tell him to call if he changes his mind. Then go to another dealership and repeat.

Only prob is giving out Number..can be a pain receiving calls, but once you have the car they tend to leave ya alone..usually.

Just remember you have what they want..You can get what they have somewhere else.

Yeah, some salesmen are real idiots. They try to sell you the most expensive car, when you tell them you on a budget they sniff you as if you were wearing 10 day old unwashed clothes and try to get rid of you. Want the trick? Sniff THEM first. When they see you treating them like they were slime they'll think you mean bussiness.

Id suggest you get a Daewoo Leganza. Its a really awesome car with all the comforts..and at only 15k its a STEAL.

Had mine since 1999, and besides my battery dying out one me twice (my own stupidity leaving the lights one.. argh), its been real smooth.

Awesome gas mileage, excellent trunk space (it even comes with full size spare tire!), AC, Radio/CD player, cruise control, auto shift, speed sensitive power steering (wheel gets harder the faster you go.. no more 80mph highway bump-a-rock'n'fly-off-the-road), leather seats, power locks & power windows on all 4 doors, car alarm, and 5 year/36k mile full warranty.. that includes oil changes and checkups and AC recharge are free during warranty!

Im a college student, 24 years old, and my friends and workmates always think its my parent's car or that im a rich SOB.. the car is beautiful

They flip when I tell them its only $15k (19k the fully loaded one with moonroof and auto temp. control.. but who the hell wants that?).

On the downside though, girls think im married because I can afford it.. lol.

At least test drive one, you'll like it

Hate making multiple posts in a row, so I'm just responding to a bunch of you here...

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

Then search around for a good second hand car.

Unfortunetly, that's not really an option for me. Maybe I'm spoiled or just way too choosy, but there are four cars that I'm seriously considering buying (Acura RSX-S, Acura CL-S, Subaru Impreza WRX, or a Nissan Altima 3.5SE) and all of them are new to 2002 (although I'd probably consider a 1999 or 2000 CL 3.0 if I could find a good deal on one). Plus, I like being backed up the dealership. It's nice knowing that they're there if I ever have a problem with the car I can't handle myself.

quote:

Originally posted by Charles Lindsey:

Welcome to Capitalism Tac and especially Simparadox.

They don't want to waste the company dime if you don't look serious.

Hey, don't dis capitalism. But.. it's not even their willingness to deal with me (it's almost understandable... I doubt many 19 year olds seem very serious when they ask about a $30k car) but their actual attitude. For one thing it's their job to sell cars. I realize they're paid on commission so it seems incredibly foolish to pass up any opportunity to make a sale.

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Id suggest you get a Daewoo Leganza. Its a really awesome car with all the comforts..and at only 15k its a STEAL.

I agree. I generally look down on little Korean imports (*cough* Kia and Hyundai *cough*) but a friend of mine has a Leganza and I'm really impressed. It's not my style, though. I doubt I'll ever (willingly) buy anything with more than 2 doors or less than 200 horsepower (although I guess the WRX and Altima are exceptions to that first rule... eck).

If you want a WRX then go for the Mk1 version and not the crappy ugly looking Mk2. The Mk1 is far far better looking and will actually outaccelerate the Mk2 (unmodified in both cases).

I've got the Mk1 which I chose over the Mk2 on the basis above. Oh yeah the only thing that the Mk2 beats the original version is the top end speed by 1 mph.

Oh yeah another good car that I would recommend is the Mitsubishi Lancer GSR Evolution series. I almost got myself an EVO III while shopping for the car but the looks of the WRX just enthraled me.

quote:

If you want a WRX then go for the Mk1 version and not the crappy ugly looking Mk2. The Mk1 is far far better looking and will actually outaccelerate the Mk2 (unmodified in both cases).

YKYBPTMBCMW (You Know You've Been Playing Too Much BCM When): You read the above and see BCMK1 and BCMK2!

quote:

I've got the Mk1 which I chose over the Mk2 on the basis above. Oh yeah the only thing that the Mk2 beats the original version is the top end speed by 1 mph.

Oh yeah another good car that I would recommend is the Mitsubishi Lancer GSR Evolution series. I almost got myself an EVO III while shopping for the car but the looks of the WRX just enthraled me.

Sigh... I live in America. It's a miracle Subaru brought the WRX here at all. Although I'm not really planning on buying one. Definetly fast as hell, but I wasn't too impressed with the interior or the build quality. Of course, that's just my opinion. Right now I'm definetly leaning in the direction of a CL-S. It might not be the fastest car in the world, but it's definetly not slow and it's about as luxurious as my last car for $10,000 less.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Simparadox ]

quote:

Hey, don't dis capitalism.

I'm not. I'm dissing the greed that often accompanies it. I should have addressed that to Tac alone I guess.

Here are a couple things I have heard.

Rent the vehicle you are interested in.

Ask to drive a friend's car.

Other ideas I had.

Take a parent. Sucks but....

Take a girl so you look like a couple.

quote:

Originally posted by Charles Lindsey:

Take a parent. Sucks but....

Take a girl so you look like a couple.

I think taking my girlfriend would be worse than taking one of my parents. I can see it already...

"Why don't you get that one? It's soooo cute..."

And next thing you know I'm driving home in a New Beetle.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Simparadox ]

Bahh!! Find yourself a Nicely Maintained 1969 Camaro!! Or Mustang Prior to 75 is a good bet to. Muscle Cars!! The value goes up, not down. They look cool, Can be Fast as hell, dont cost as much. And insurance wont be nearly as much as a new car.

Hey!! No dis'n the New Beetles!

I got a nice 2001 bug. It can run really fast, and its silver!

Also its got a HUGE cargo capacity, though the thing is so light you'll notice a definite performance change between a nearly empty or full tank of gas.

The only problem is that the cup holders are sized for european beveridges, not something like the new ueber size drink. I think it can hold a gallon of soda.

Heck, even the regular 44oz cups dont fit anywhere! And the three cupholders in have part of the dashboard overhanging them, and you can only put small, very short cups there.

Damnit, I want my obscenely large, American-sized cupholder!!