To xp or not to xp

Pyros

Okay, its that time of year when I upgrade the house pc's.

Hardware related upgrade will be taking all three to 512mb and two of them to 1ghz (mine is going to 1.4 because I can ).

Now i'd like to know from experience not from phobia of a new ms op.

What is XP like and what would be best for me home or professional?

If you are worried you might miss out on any features get Professional. You can get copies of it cheap looking on pricewatch.com ($110 or so) I bought my copy from microbarn.com.

I like it, but you won't need 1ghz of RAM (YET) because it shows hardly any difference in performance past 512MB of RAM.

I'd say depending on what you do (business, games, etc. ) I'd get 2000 Pro if you were using it for business. I'd say get XP if your kids will use it alot, and you'll have easier time using the admin settings with XP.

quote:

Originally posted by LordDavid:

The winXP Home upgrade from win9x/me is about $60. If you saved $1 a day from now until XP1 is released, you would be able to afford it.

EVERYONE, consider this fair warning. The chances of this happening are 99.999% as of today.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Get xp cause it's a great OS.

Forget the warnings. There's not going to be a service pack to wait for. The OS auto-updates like a dream. Get XP and get it NOW.

As a gamer you'll love the driver roll back. Particularly if you have an Nvidia card.

Some older games won't play, but it does come with win 98/95 emulation. So far it's worked for my older games.

It's solid. Waaaaaaay more solid than 98 or ME. Really. I don't give a damn what the nervous nellies in on your favourite hardware site say to you. It just works.

Yes there's the whole register thing. You'll have to buy one copy for each computer. And yes you have to work a little to get all the cute cuddly stuff out of the way, but it's worth it. Trust me. Big time.

Okay, I'm done.

Guest rtoolooze

I really like XP so far. I just finaly got my new system running, and was a little uneasy about leaving Win98. But now that I have, I'm glad I did.

(Man I spent alot of money this time around, but if you look at my sys. profile, you'll see why )

The problem with me upgrading to XP is that I have several computers in my house and as I'm a student, I can't really afford to buy several licenses. I'm not so sure if I'll go for 2000, but my friend too has told me that XP is better for games...

Do a serious web search and get the OEM version of XP Pro. For most on-line sites a hardware purchase (power cable, RAM, etc.) is required to acquisition an OEM version.

Also, DO NOT use an upgrade version - do a clean install.

TTFN

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

Originally posted by rtoolooze:

I really like XP so far. I just finaly got my new system running, and was a little uneasy about leaving Win98. But now that I have, I'm glad I did.

(Man I spent alot of money this time around, but if you look at my sys. profile, you'll see why )

You could've installed a dual-boot system. winXP handles that beautifully - just like win2K.

Yes, I looked at your profile. Now I know why you were on bread and water for a month.

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

Hmm If I read that post correctly, that means that XP1 will come out in two months?

You read it incorrectly. You have the delusion that XP1 would be released on the day he puts away his sixtieth dollar.

...of course, lets forget the fact that the release period is Summer.

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

The problem with me upgrading to XP is that I have several computers in my house and as I'm a student, I can't really afford to buy several licenses. I'm not so sure if I'll go for 2000, but my friend too has told me that XP is better for games...

Nobody asked you to upgrade all of them to XP. You should only be concerned about the machine you are playing XP1 on.

I would suggest getting XP pro. Other than a few minor security breaches that were related to file sharing, and the NVIDIA/VIA/XP bug I've not had any problems.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Nobody asked you to upgrade all of them to XP. You should only be concerned about the machine you are playing XP1 on.

Hehe should've thought about that. Anyway WinMe has basically reared its ugly head more than once. Yeah I'd probably get XP just before Xp1 comes out. But I'm open to alternatives though (Win2000).

Quick question: XP1 won't have 98/ME support... What about 2k? I'm not willing to move to XP (the os) just yet, for the sheer facts that:

1. It seems that one should get the OEM version, and at most places, that requires the purchase of bootable hardware. I don't have money for any new parts, and getting any would be overkill on this computer. (Check the specs)

2. I don't have the money, period. Probably won't be able to get XP (if I wanted to) by summer, anyway.

Now, before someone goes and screams "well, don't buy XP1, then!", I know I'm one person without the money out of quite a large number of those with the money. I'm just wondering if I'll absolutly need to get XP or can I just stick with 2k pro?

Thanks for any non-flame reply...

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: XenoZohar ]

Amen Gallion!!!

I went with XP home and it's fine. IF you can't afford XP Pro (like me) you'll be fine with Home.

I got an oem copy of XP home for $150 Can. I just bought a $10 keyboard at the same time. (I needed a new Keyboard too!)

As much as I love the OS, I am still a little PO'd about having to buy a copy for each machine.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Crap!! But xp pro is 250 oem, 500 retail! Where am I going to find that money???

(and I thought I could last with 98 for at least 2-3 years more)

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. There are a LOT of things that most of us cannot afford. *****ing about it is a pointless.

Besides, XP Home uprade (from any OS) is about $64 if you look around.

quote:

Originally posted by Kush:

As much as I love the OS, I am still a little PO'd about having to buy a copy for each machine.

Installing the same copy of ANY OS (or any program for that matter, including BCM) on more than one machine is a violation of license agreement. Pure and simple.