To xp or not to xp

Pyros

I have a copy of XP sitting on my desk that I will end up throwing away. To make a long story sort, my brother works for a company that fixes computers. Over a week ago he did a service call on a Dell in which a new copy of XP was sent for the computer he was working on. He gave the guy the new copy and the guy gave my brother the old copy saying he did not need it anymore. What is my brother required to do with the old copy? Nothing...most of the time the old copy is not taken back. The only way (that I can think of) I could install this legally is if I had paid the computer owner to transfer the license to me. I have no idea who the person was so I just need to throw it away and get around to buying myself a copy.

I "think" I can get an OEM version of XP home (full) for 160cnd (~99us) (upgrades cost as much elsewhere) and XP pro OEM for 250cnd (~155us)

And these are the lowest prices around.. i can get such prices where I got my computer... but I don't know if I can order the software alone.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Installing the same copy of ANY OS (or any program for that matter, including BCM) on more than one machine is a violation of license agreement. Pure and simple.

True. I just wish there was a deal where you could pay a bit less for the second computer, and a bit less for the third, etc.

One program I have lets you use the same program on your desktop and your laptop for working away from home. You just pay a little bit more cash, and they give you a code.

All I'm saying is to buy a whole other copy gets expensive. But that's the way they want it, so that's the way it is.

quote:

True. I just wish there was a deal where you could pay a bit less for the second computer, and a bit less for the third, etc.

I don't know about WinXP but with most MS software you can just call them (or do a web search, probably cheaper) and just buy another EULA, so you could use the same copy of the software on multiple machines.

Also, If I remember correctly, maybe I don't, doesn't WinXP Pro come with a license for more than one PC?

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Bringram ]

quote:

Originally posted by has:

I gonna stick with Win2k Pro for now. I┬┤ve had it for past 6 months and no BSOD yet. Very stable, I see no reason to upgrade to XP (~$400 retail!!).

If you already have win2K there is no reason to upgrade to XP...unless you want the new look 'n feel.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You might want to check the product page before asking silly questions.

Silly question, sure, but that page also indicates it will have 9x/ME, along with 2k/XP. I was just making sure that you hadn't removed compatibility with 2k as well. Forgive me if it came out silly.

quote:

Originally posted by XenoZohar:

Silly question, sure, but that page also indicates it will have 9x/ME, along with 2k/XP. I was just making sure that you hadn't removed compatibility with 2k as well. Forgive me if it came out silly.

oh come on, this hole is getting deeper and deeper. Unless you haven't been paying attention (most likely), you would have seen SEVERAL messages in which I CLEARLY point out that support for win9x/Me would be removed and only win2K/XP would be supported.

With that info, the products page lists win9x/me/2k/xp in the requirements section (I have not yet updated it) and the recommended section clearly lists 2k/xp.

Extrapolating from this amount of data, your original question is still a silly one even when the products page is updated to remove win9x/me (when my decision is final). To wit :

Quick question: XP1 won't have 98/ME support... What about 2k? I'm not willing to move to XP (the os) just yet, for the sheer facts that:

As such, I don't see HOW support for win2k could be removed when in fact, it is listed in the min and rec requirements - along with my posts in this and SEVERAL other threads.

Again, sorry if it's silly, but a lot of threads are updated on this board every day. Sometimes I don't get to it until late in the day and the postings all seem to mesh together...

Anyway, I saw you saying it in this and one other thread...there were probably others. OK, anyway, it's not an issue. I was only making sure. I don't know your reasoning (if the reason you're dropping 98/me support, other than for the obvious reasons, was in another thread, I probably missed it).

Sorry. Was just worried about getting my BC fix.

I think I can get a copy of xp for a "decent" price. Question : what is better for me : xp home or pro?

I will mainly use the computer for gaming, maybe a bit of programming (trying to learn), and I consider myself an advanced windows user. My computer specs can be seen in my system profile link. I currently have 256megs of ram but I'm thinking about getting another 256 megs chip soon. I have a 40 gigger so space isn't a problem (at the moment *g*)

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

More bad news about WinXP. Once again, Microsoft's security record rears its ugly head.

Sorry Menchise but I class that as anti microsoft scaremongering, with good firewall protection (zone alarm) and good recent virus protection there isn't much that can harm a pc, infact linux/unix hybrids have alot more flaws than windows unfortunatly. (I used to run a server).

When you think of the windows software we use, we seem to forget what an amazing achievement it is, it hasto work on infinite hardware combinations, and run 24/7, you try running a game program for that long, yes its bugged but nothing else comes close.

Thats why I don't complain when I purchase operating systems windows 95 lasted me 3 years of use every day, 98 did the same and now i'm buying 3 copies of xp pro (for the added win 2000 type stability but also the games compatibility of xp home) I dare any of you in this day and age of consumerism gone mad to find anything a game, a graphics card, a car, a pair of shoes that will last aslong as windows or even dos did and still perform(win 98/95 both improved with age and patches).

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Pyros ]

Someone asked this is whats extra in xp pro(more than this but I don't have full list anymore)

New visual design and complete digital media support

Premier mobile support for the ability to work offline or access your computer remotely

Greater security, including the ability to encrypt your files and folders

Built-in support for high performance multiprocessor systems

Designed to work with Microsoft Windows Servers and management solutions

Tip for anyone wanting to buy xp pro or home, use EBAY, I just yesterday recieved my 3 copies of ebay with ms licences and all relevant documents (oem versions)the send generic hardware item with it cable or something, the price it worked out at the end because I bought a 40gb maxtor 7200 hd as well was

Windows xp pro oem £75/$108 * 3

Maxtor 40gb £56/$80

Total = $404 plus $34 next day world wide shipping

insured.

I doubt anyone can beat that for 3 xp pro let alone hd too

My tip to any new ebayers is read a sellers feeback it gives you an idea of who you are dealing with xp home is really cheap.

• 2 months later...

Hate resurrecting old threads, but I'm in the process of putting together a new PC, on which I will install WinXP home (upgrade). I'm getting a copy from ebay for £40, but the guy who's gonna sell it had already registered it. He said he'd spoken with MS once he removed it from his PC and that all I needed to do was contact them once I'd installed it and they would transfer the license to my PC. Question is: will I have to buy a new EULA and how much will it cost? 2nd question is how can MS verify that he has removed the OS from his PC? Hope you can help with my confusion (and ignorance). He doesn't *seem* dishonest, but you never know.....

I'm not sure about the technical aspects of it, but he's selling you his cd, registration, EULA, and everything else along with it. You certainly don't have to buy anything else. In other words, he's selling you his right to use XP, and in the process relinquishing his own.

If something doesn't work however, call M$ and get it straightened out.