I just got offered a deal, and need advice

Well, as most of you probably know, I have been unemployed for a few months and things are getting rather thin.

I have been posting resume's at every internet site that I can think of and going out and applying at all the companies around.

Today, I got a hit, a BIG hit. A company out of Southern California has offered me the position of National Sales Manager. The catch is that I have to move to Southern California.

OK, here is where I need the advice, as many of you know, I am progun, antigovernment, etc etc ad nauseum, and when I even consider Southern California, you have to know that it sounds like an excellent opportunity.

What do you all think, should I go for it and move, or should I wait for another opportunity to come along? Any help would be very appreciated. I am having a REAL hard time.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Well, as most of you probably know, I have been unemployed for a few months and things are getting rather thin.

I have been posting resume's at every internet site that I can think of and going out and applying at all the companies around.

Today, I got a hit, a BIG hit. A company out of Southern California has offered me the position of National Sales Manager. The catch is that I have to move to Southern California.

OK, here is where I need the advice, as many of you know, I am progun, antigovernment, etc etc ad nauseum, and when I even consider Southern California, you have to know that it sounds like an excellent opportunity.

What do you all think, should I go for it and move, or should I wait for another opportunity to come along? Any help would be very appreciated. I am having a REAL hard time.

******EXTREMELY IMPORTANT*****

CALIFONRIA HAS A VERY HIGH COST OF LIVING

(if i remember correctly...)

I.E: 50k per year in Florida, (where i live), very good money... However, 50k per year in California, is not.... would be like getting 25k per year in Florida... Get my drift?

Guest Remo Williams

OMG!! Don't do it unless the job pays mega bucks of course. The cost of living is unbelievable down there almost twice what it is here in central calif. you'll pay any where from $800 to $1200 a month for a two bedroom APT.

The crime rate is ungodly, everybody and there uncle carries a gun. Unfortunately the criminals are the only ones that don't get hassled about it.

Don't even get me started about the smog down there. I can't even visit my family that live there with out getting very ill.

IMO if you move down there from up north where you are at now you will hate it. I would think long and hard about this Jaguar. Is the money really worth it. I know you couldn't get me to move there at gun point.

nuff said.

Central Cali is just as bad as So Cal Remo and ranks up there with N. Cal and the Bay/Sac-of-tomatoes area- in my experience. The whole bloomin' state can fall into the ocean for all I care. California is a great place to be from

Yep, I grew up in So Cal and need more details wrt location of said company and area you are proposing to move to.

You'll need at least $80k per year to get by (Middle Class Orange County areas). LA County is up there to. Then there are those that live in San Bernadino (SP?) County that commute each day into LA (100+ miles each way).

So all depends on which part of So Cal you are looking at Jaguar. N.L.B. is one area I know you needs to stay out of along with Compton, Downey, Paramount, Bellflower, Pico Rivera, (all cities in south LA County). North LA County isn't to bad. Gun control is not to bad - yet. SMOG sucks along with the liberals in the area. Traffic is a nightmare.

Hope you can speak Spanish

But unless this is a must have income now thing, avoid the land of fruits and nuts at all costs.

My 4-bits minus 2

TTFN

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Central Cali is just as bad as So Cal Remo and ranks up there with N. Cal and the Bay/Sac-of-tomatoes area- in my experience. The whole bloomin' state can fall into the ocean for all I care. California is a great place to be
from

Hehe, what ever ya like to believe. I do agree though as far as the crime rate in some areas. But as to the smog and cost of living theres no comparison.

I've been here 37 years now. I ventured back east for a couple months A few years back and I couldn't wait to get back out here.

Edited: Spelling

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Remo Williams ]

The company is located near Long Beach, so most likely would rent an apartment in Huntington beach area, close, but nice, and also has a low crime rate compared to other parts of LA.

They are offering me pretty good money, so that would not be a problem. Just am not sure if I am willing to move down there, so wanted to get some ideas from you guys.

Thanks for the advice so far, any other takers?

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Today, I got a hit, a BIG hit. A company out of Southern California has offered me the position of National Sales Manager. The catch is that I have to move to Southern California.OK, here is where I need the advice, as many of you know, I am progun, antigovernment, etc etc ad nauseum, and when I even consider Southern California, you have to know that it sounds like an excellent opportunity.

I think it's a BIG OPPORTUNITY, yes... Well... i am italian and we italians are not very happy to move from our home town but in the future we will have to change "this tradition"

The future is mobility and if you have a great deal in another city, even if not a city you like... well, you can't miss the train. Don't worry about politics and other things... just go there and see if you can develop this opportunity. If you'll be successful then your destiny decided so If not... well... there are many other opportunities in the world... search and find another one

Thank you guys, I appreciate the advice a lot!!

My wife and I have discussed it thoroughly and have made a decision.

Due to my political leanings, and due to the fact that I have ALWAYS despised Southern California, we have chosen to move North to Seattle.

My house is going on the market ASAP and will be sold. I am getting out of sales and am going to do something that will change my entire life.

When I was in the military I was a communications equipment installer and Maintainer, I LOVED that job, and have found the civilian equivalent of that. Working for the Emergency Management department for Pierce County Washington. I am sending in my application today and will hopefully get the job. I am qualified up the ying yang, and besides the fact that I grew up there.

Take a peek if you're interested in seeing what I want to do.

Communications equipment installer

It's a PDF file, so you'll need Adobe.

I was a 31V10, and used to install CB radios for a living as well, I am also a ham radio operator.

THe job will pay less then I was making in sales, MUCH less, but I would rather do something that I really enjoy, then do something that I really don't feel a lot of satisfaction doing. Besides the fact that the benefits working for a public agency are 2nd to none, and the chances of being layed off are nil to none!!

So again, thanks for all your advice, it is greatly appreciated, and HELPED A LOT!!!

You guys are the greatest!!