Questions for tech heads

Pyros

I am inbetween upgrading my pc, but I have a recuring error I would like to squash before I go xp pro and 40gb hd end of month.

Firstly my system

Gigabyte ga-71xe4 motherboard (updated to newest bios)

512mb sdram

windows 98se fully updated

Direct X 8.1

Geforce 2mx 32mb agp (detonator drivers newest official drivers)

ASDL usb modem acatel.

SB live 1024

3com 10/100 network card

Hitachi dvd drive.

Now for the problem, I noticed it months ago, started simply enough a couple of offline games mainly Klingon academy would crash my internet connection as in after I played I hadto reboot to get on the internet.

It is getting much worse got to the point that any game using direct X crashes my connection (not disconnects but no dara going out for anything email explorer or games) only a reboot fixes it, can't even touch everquest or counterstrike, i go link dead as soon as game starts.(noticed big degradation since installing DX8.1)

Run DXdiag no problems all certified all fine on all menu's.

Interesting points, only happens on 3d games not on menu's ( can go all the way into Eq but as soon as first person view comes up disconnect) same with KA if I goto the menu then quit internet works fine but if I go into the game and blow a few feds up no go on the internet.

Any ideas (have formatted hd and reinstalled win 98se) also hard drive when starting up is running scandisk everytime saying a drive may have bad sectors but it doesn't(have run a full surface scan) also before re-installing wn98se I fdisked and deleted/re-initialized partitions.

I am wondering if I have a conflict somewhere, but........ I haven't installed anything new for 8 months (system tools also show no problems no conflicts) soundcard lan card and graphics card are all on seperate irq's.

Wondering if the motherboard bios is corrupt in some way but it looks fine.

Monday I get my new HD so will install xp pro but im just wondering if this problem isn't hd will it cross over .

Guest rtoolooze

Hmmmm....that sounds like a weird bugaboo. Since you are going to upgrade to XP and change hard drives, I would simply wait to see what happens after the upgrade. No sense in trying to track down a problem if your going to upgrade.

If the problem persists after upgrading, then worry about fixing it.

I had a weird problem with booting my computer. Sometimes had to boot two or three times before it would go into windows. Happened as it would load the background and before loading all the shortcuts. I never found out why. Since my recent upgrade, presto chango, problem vanished.

I say wait till after the upgrade.

Over and out.

It sounds like a resource conflict. Since you said it's been worse since installing DX8.1 it sounds like the conflict is coming from a driver (or drivers) that are not fully DX8.1 compatible.

I would also check you hardware, check for loose cards. I had a bunch of wierd problems like that and it turned out that my video card had come loose and windows was reassigning resources everytime it detected it.

I'm with rtoolooze on this one. Don't worry about it too much until you install WinXP Pro.

If it still happens after that you may be right about your mobo, or other hardware.

quote:

Originally posted by Pyros:

I am inbetween upgrading my pc, but I have a recuring error I would like to squash before I go xp pro and 40gb hd end of month.

Uhmmm... the answers you received in this thread are all correct, but i would ask you another thing. Do you run any firewalls?

I also agree with the others.

But if you should still have problems after upgrade, watch out. SDRAM is barely supported by modern motherboards. DDR is the current trend. If you use AMD, they have gone completely socket CPU, instead of socket AND slot type. So replacing/upgrading your MB might be a more expensive option than you think....

However, on a lighter note, I absolutely agree about the resource conflict. It sounds like somehow, your 3D accel is sharing with your net. Do check to see if you have a loose board, or perhaps a lack of extra IRQs (control panel->system->device manager). I had a similar conflict waaay back because my old machine didn't have enough IRQs to add USB support. So every time I enabled it, my sound cut out completely.

Having just upgraded from Win 98se to Win XP I would make the following suggestions. Do a clean install of XP and reload your programs and drivers after install. Switch over to NTFS instead of Fat32 during install. Some programs that you are currently running will require updates in order to run on XP so check their sites to see if they have the new drivers and or patches to run on XP. Some of your programs may not have updates but may work with the Win 2000 drivers. I also switched over to a "Standard PC" configuration during install, this stops windows from using irq sharing which is known to cause conflicts in some devices (especially SB Live). Doing a clean install will most likely resolve your issue with 3D games and your internet connection as XP is much more friendly than 98se when it comes to setting network and internet connections.

Thankyou for all the suggestions, my processor is a socket A Athlon tb 1000.

I'm bored today keep going

I'm running zonealarm but I have checked it happens whether or not ZA is on(first thing I checked).

While playing with my motherboard I noticed another glitch my ami bios refuses to upgrade, even with mb switch and bios switch set to write enable I can not upgrade the bios to latest version (only one revision away f8 - f9).

Here is my shared resource list.

IRQ 5 AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

IRQ 9 Creative SB Live! Value

IRQ 9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

IRQ 10 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX Ethernet NIC (3C905-TX)

IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

IRQ 11 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus

IRQ 14 Primary Bus Master IDE controller

IRQ 14 AMD-756 Bus Master IDE Controller V1.41

IRQ 15 Secondary Bus Master IDE controller

IRQ 15 AMD-756 Bus Master IDE Controller V1.41

I've just ordered a new mb anyway ASUS A7M266 Socket A DDR Motherboard W/AUDIO so if problem still occurs i'll install that (Paola is getting my sdram )

I love Windows xp pro, just finished setting it up (fixed all my problems with my pc)

One question for XP users, in 98 there is a system config tool that allows you to easily delete items that load on startup (realplayer icq etc) all those nice things, how do I do that in XP pro ?

quote:

Originally posted by Pyros:

I love Windows xp pro, just finished setting it up (fixed all my problems with my pc)

One question for XP users, in 98 there is a system config tool that allows you to easily delete items that load on startup (realplayer icq etc) all those nice things, how do I do that in XP pro ?

Regedit

Use at Own Risk

Actually you can type in "msconfig" via Start/Run

You will then get a menu with tabs, one of the tabs is called startup, here you can just click off the items that you don't want loaded at startup.

This is probably what you used in 98, XP has it as well.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Gordon ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gordon:

Actually you can type in "msconfig" via Start/Run

You will then get a menu with tabs, one of the tabs is called startup, here you can just click off the items that you don't want loaded at startup.

This is probably what you used in 98, XP has it as well.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Gordon ]

Your my hero