NFL Playoffs!!

Cmdr Nova

Okay. Time to talk football. It's week 2 of the playoffs, and the Super Bowl is drawing near.

Now, here's the question: who do you think will win the Super Bowl this year?

Here's the current possible Super Bowl listing:

NFC -- Philadelphia OR Green Bay OR St. Louis

VS

AFC -- New England OR Pittsburgh

From the time of this posting, Green Bay and St. Louis are going to be going at it in a few minutes. Being a local, I'm biased towards St. Louis, naturally.

500,000 GalCreds on the Rams!

So, who's your bet on?

quote:

Three qwatloos for the newcomers!

LOL!!! It's been forever since I've heard anyone use quatloos/qwatloos. Wierd times. *shudders*

Anyway, some updates:

Green Bay - 17

St. Louis - 45

Heh. We absolutely 0wnz3d them all the way! A useless statistic: this is the worst Green Bay postseason loss, in history.

T-Minus 1 week, and 6 days (and a few hours) until Super Bowl Sunday........

GO RAMS!!!

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Guest rtoolooze

I can't believe the Pack got beat like that. Alot of those damn points the Rams got were off fumbles, int's, and such. I finaly had to turn the game off I was so upset. The Packer's have been my fav. team since I was a little kid. It was hard to see them get beat like that.

I really don't care too much about Philly, but now I'm saying, "GO EAGLES!" just to get back at the freakin Rams.

I have a few questions about the NFL since I'm not familiar with the league.

Why is it divided into two conferences?

How is it decided which team goes in which conference?

Is the Superbowl half time show as tacky as I've heard?

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Menchise ]

Guest rtoolooze

Oh, and Cmd Nova, I'm from St.Louis, born and raised. I moved to Kansas City in '91. I've just alway's loved the Pack. Never really went for the Cardinal's even when they were in St.Louis. And I hate the Chiefs.

O well, there's alway's next year. And even tho Brett had a bad game, which every QB has once in a while, no one can take anything away from him. He is a three time MVP (in a row) you know. Congrats to your Rams. They are definitly proving they are the greatest show on turf, this year anyway.

Its also cool to have a fellow Commander so close, well about 4 hours from here.

Cheers

p.s. I'm from the Crystal City/Festus area in Jefferson County. Thats where I grew up.

Menchise:

1&2: I have no idea.

3: It's like that every other year or so. Don't know what's on the slate for this year, so I can't prepare you.

rtoolooze: Small world, eh? Heh, one of the teachers at my little sister's school is from Milwaukee. Imagine everyone elses surprise when she wore a Packers uniform on "Rams day" last week. On a side note--(former) ISS Fleet Commander Ristar is from St. Louis as well.

I'm a HUGE sports fan, so I'll field these:

quote:

Why is it divided into two conferences?

This is because up until the late 60s, the whole thing was the AFL (American Football League). As the popularity went crazy, more and more teams were added to the fray. This made scheduling almost impossible, so a separate conference had to be created in order to make the divisional rivalries worth something. Thusly, the NFC and AFC (National and American Football Conference) was created. This way, the regional teams could be split into smaller divisions allowing for a more fierce competition for playoff seedings. In other words, instead of having 10 teams in a single central division vying for 3 playoff spots, you have 5 teams vying for one playoff spot from the division, making the divisional games worth a lot more. Also, consider that the season is only 16 games long -- with a smaller division each team can be assured to play each divisional opponent two times each year: once at home and once on the road. This way no scheduling fluke could have certain teams playing too many games out of division that would impact the division's playoff seeding.

quote:

How is it decided which team goes in which conference?

Necessity, more than anything. When you create the two equivolent divisions in each conference, you have to keep rivalries together. For instance, before the NFL was created, the Packers and Bears were MAJOR rivals. In fact, this is the longest football rivalry there is. Now, with both teams in the NFC Central, they play each other twice each year. If you put the Packers in the NFC Central and the Bears in the AFC Central, they'd play each other once every other year depending upon the rotation (unless, of course, both teams made it into the Superbowl).

I have a question (or more of an observation really) about NFL and, I suppose, American sports on the whole. How do teams maintain a consistent, loyal fanbase, when they might suddenly be bought up and relocated clear across the country? I used to watch NFL when it first came on UK TV, about 18 years ago. Then, the Rams were in LA, the Cardinals were in St. Louis and the Raiders were in LA, amongst others. This is completely alien to me as a concept. Did all the LA Rams fans suddenly become St. Louis Rams fans and if not, who do they follow now? Or do they wander round in some kind of sporting limbo, waiting for a team to drop on their doorstep? In the UK, it's very simple, the team is named after the city they come from abd stay there. God forbid someone buy up Liverpool FC, relocate them to W**kchester and rename them!

An American friend of mine actually explained why College sports have such a high profile in the US. People tend to associate the team with the town and know they will not suddenly up sticks and bugger off in between seasons.

Anyone care to comment or enlighten me?

It boils down to the owners ego and the almighty dollar.

The normal situation these days that causes a team to move is something like this:

1)Team (and owner) wants a new stadium and wants the taxpayers to pay for most of it

2)City says no, or promises less than the team and owner wanted.

3)City #2 says 'We'll build you a much bigger better stadium with sprinkles on top if you move here!'

4)Team (and owner) bail to the new city, sometimes keeping the same name (St. Louis Cardinals -> Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Colts -> Indianapolis Colts) and sometimes changing completely (Cleveland Browns -> Baltimore Ravens, Houston Oilers -> Tenessee Titans).

The reason teams move is indeed related to the money involved, but there are other reasons. First of all, cities are partly responsible for the facilities that teams play in. If they get too old or antiquated, the teams lose money. So, the cities usually help to build new facilities in order to suit the teams needs (remember, sports are huge revenue sources for local governments).

Now, with that said, teams are usually on lease with the city they play in. The only team that doesn't have a lease is the Green Bay Packers -- that's because they are the only team that is actually owned by the city and fans. They could never move. Another interesting tidbit about the Pack is that they're the only team that plays in a small town (it's TINY). Yet they sell out every game and have a 30 year waiting list for season tickets...

But that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, teams usually move because cities don't help to support them while they reap huge benefits from having them there.

Aha, so no team actually owns the stadium they play in? Is it because it's 'not the done thing' , or are there regulations preventing it? I'm sure most of the teams have a big enough budget to build a purpose-built stadium of their own. Or is most of the budget taken up with the (hugely inflated) wage bill?

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

Aha, so no team actually owns the stadium they play in? Is it because it's 'not the done thing' , or are there regulations preventing it? I'm sure most of the teams have a big enough budget to build a purpose-built stadium of their own. Or is most of the budget taken up with the (hugely inflated) wage bill?

Actually, most teams have at least partial ownership of the stadiums. The reason they don't build them on their own is mostly due to the vast expense, coupled with the fact that many cities will foot the bill to reap the benefits.

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

Actually, most teams have at least partial ownership of the stadiums. The reason they don't build them on their own is mostly due to the vast expense, coupled with the fact that many cities will foot the bill to reap the benefits.

Well.... I would say the teams don't foot the bill because it's easier to hold it over the city's head and say "Build us a new stadium or we'll move the team." The city doesn't want to lose all that revenue from the parking, tourists, amusement taxes and consessions so they build it. At least here in Pittsburgh they did.

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

I'm from Pittsburgh, so with apologies to Myron Cope, here's my Terrible Table:

GO STEELERS

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

YOI!!!!

Myron rulez

quote:

Originally posted by Manglor:

Well.... I would say the teams don't foot the bill because it's easier to hold it over the city's head and say "Build us a new stadium or we'll move the team." The city doesn't want to lose all that revenue from the parking, tourists, amusement taxes and consessions so they build it. At least here in Pittsburgh they did.

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

That's part of the reason, definitely. But the main reason is the expense versus the income the team itself makes as a company. Remember: to be profitable you have to be competitive. And, in order to be competitive, you have to pay top dollar for players. Luckily, the NFL has revenue sharing on all broadcast income. That would actually help to save baseball. But they won't do it. Two words: Player's Union.

quote:

We lost our baseball team (montreal expo's) (disbanded) partially because the city wouldn't build a new stadium. As if I care.

That's a small part of the reason. The other part is that Montreal puts a record low number of fans in the seats. I was all for contraction of the Expos.

And it's too bad, too -- Montreal had the BEST farm system in all of baseball. The problem was that they couldn't keep the players there (read: no fans).

WHO REALLY CARES?!!! Football, BAH!!! HUMBUG!!!

Give me Hockey any day, I went to the fights and a hockey game broke out.

Or European footbal, you haven't lived until you have seen the Turkish national team beat the Greek national team.

After the game, a RIOT broke out, 45,000 people rioting, 15 killed, over 250 injured, the stadium practically destroyed, the team members, oohhhh, BAD!!! God THAT WAS FUN!!!!

After that, American football is just so many overpadded slugs whacking into each other.