Old Computer Fun!

Fractux

Cool photos!

Yesterday i was talking with a friend (he is a game developer) about composing some music for the Game Boy Advance. Well, i told him that my hitech equipment would be useless because i should cut the works to 8khz (i still haven't studied the GBA tech specs but i'm sure its sound chip is an 8khz one).

Well... so we began talking also about old pcs and the first time i listened to a Soundblaster 1.0. Cool 8khz good sounds! I remember i was amazed by the possibilities behind this incredible card! hehehe

Ooooooooold memories good times... maybe i could find it and take a photo...

I miss my old Sinclair Spectrum ZX with 48kb memory. Now that was a computer! Not those overheating ba***rds nowadays, destroying the ozone layer, destroying the rain forrest, polluting the ocean, and ..., and... ahem.. uh, sorry, got a bit carried away there. It┬┤s just, you could do so much with it, connect it to the TV, play games, using that rubber keyboard... ah, those were the days, (floating above the clouds...,dreaming...).

He! I still have my spectrum! I wish I still had my ZX81 though. That was a fun machine to have! 1K memory, and boy, those games, who can remember what the games were like with only two colors (black & white). I still remember the 3D monster maze I had on a tape. Any one remember the tape drive that came out for the spectrum? And the printer that needed special silver paper since the ink was inside the paper?

Boy those were the days...

There are three Commodore antiques in my house (they sure made great stuff).

1. Commodore PC 10-II. This one is older than I am! While cleaning out a messy room, I found myself leafing through its manual which would make a great museum piece. It was written back in the day when manufacturers didn't assume that everyone had seen a computer before. It even had descriptions of parts of the keyboard, like the Caps Lock key!

2. Commodore 64. 'Nuff said.

3. Amiga 500. In my opinion, this is the best home computer ever made. Imagine 256 colour graphics, 640X480 resolution, and digitized sound effects in 1987! Its OS GUI (Amiga Workbench) came on one floppy disk, ran on 1 MB RAM, optional hard disk installation, and included a text-to-speech synthesizer that rivals even today's $100 packages. The computer ran the latest Amiga games for six years without upgrades, and it never broke down (although the monitor did once or twice). I would still be using it if I still had the cables. I miss the Amiga. *sigh*

quote:

1. Commodore PC 10-II. This one is older than I am! While cleaning out a messy room, I found myself leafing through its manual which would make a great museum piece. It was written back in the day when manufacturers didn't assume that everyone had seen a computer before. It even had descriptions of parts of the keyboard, like the Caps Lock key!

2. Commodore 64. 'Nuff said.

I don't have old comps for myself, but my friend has a pong game in the original wooden box. Can't be older than that

quote:

3. Amiga 500. In my opinion, this is the best home computer ever made. Imagine 256 colour graphics, 640X480 resolution, and digitized sound effects in 1987! Its OS GUI (Amiga Workbench) came on one floppy disk, ran on 1 MB RAM, optional hard disk installation, and included a text-to-speech synthesizer that rivals even today's $100 packages. The computer ran the latest Amiga games for six years without upgrades, and it never broke down (although the monitor did once or twice). I would still be using it if I still had the cables. I miss the Amiga. *sigh*

Tandy 2000. 'nuff said. Does all that, and more.

My first comp was an Apple II+. Circa 1979. 48k RAM, 5 1/4" drive (though we started with a tape drive), HD? What's that? Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore. However, I -do- have an Atari 2600 I'd have to search a while in the basement for it, but it's still down there. I remember seeing it a few years ago.

Anyone remember the Sinclair Quantum Leap?

Vintage 1972 stuff. LOL

Motorola 68000 processor.

16k of onboard memory.

Twin Tape Drives. (It was little video tapes the size of a matchbook)

As I remember, Timex bought a warehouse full of them, slapped their name on it, and never sold the first one.

I still have one ... somewhere.

[ 02-03-2002, 17:31: Message edited by: Wolferz ]

LOL.

I remember those machines, in fact the first ever upgrade I did was on a friends 386 pc we ripped out the motherboard and replaced it with a 486DX4 100 which was top of the range for the time, the funniest part was we had to take a hacksaw at one of the drive bays to get the cpu fan to fit into the case. It worked though to the best of my knowledge his father still has the machine.(its has a whopping 20MB hard disk if I remember right )

My first ever computer was a Sinclair Spectrun 128K +2 (with the built in) god there were some good games on it. but the half an hour load times were a bit ridiculous.

Ahhh, Tandy (Radio Shack) TRS-80 (trash 80) with a audio cassette storage drive... programing in BASIC yumm.

And the Sears Pong machine. And the Atari 2600 with Asteroids that totally destroyed my left thumb...

Aaahh, the good old days

The first computer i had has been an Apple IIe. Exceptional machine I remember i played there Ultima II and the myth: Castle Wolfenstein, the original one

And Lemonade... Swashbuckler... Aztec Tomb and also the first Interactive Fiction adventures. I still love Interactive Fiction. It's one of the best things of the past that will always be valuable, whatever technology we'll have in the future...