GeForce 4

Cmdr Nova

Heh. I was home sick today, and while channel surfing the TV, I came across TechTV.

They had a preview of the GeForce 4 TI4600, 128MB model. My first thoughts: "Woah."

My next thoughts: "Where the hell did this come from?"

It so seems that nVidia released it yesterday. See the press release here. Damn. Caught me by surprise.

128MB video cards? Man, that's more RAM than my PC came with.

Yes, I know, this is a monster card, and yes, I want one!!!

Tuesday, Best Buy had a preorder for it, only the price was $129.99, keep in mind, this is the $399 card. The price has since been fixed, and orders placed for the insane price have been Canceled!

Edit: The Anandtech thread has been locked and then deleted shortly after BB canceled all orders.

[ 02-07-2002, 22:04: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Miller:

this is a monster card

how big we talkin? like the old voodoo 5 5500??? that thing was freakin HUGE. had the 2 32MB chips with fans on it and needed its on power supply plug... lol i thought the thing wouldnt fit in my tower...

$400 for a vid card??? ummm no. ill suffer with my radeon till i burn it out... by then it should be around 100$

[ 02-07-2002, 13:09: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

(whoa... not double post, double topic!)

Fixed. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Miller"

Tuesday, Best Buy had a preorder for it, only the price was $129.99, keep in mind, this is the $399 card. The price has since been fixed, but I wonder how many of
, if any, are going to get one for that price.

LOL! 14 pages! Nice find, GMAN.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

quote:

this is a monster card

how big we talkin? like the old voodoo 5 5500??? that thing was freakin HUGE. had the 2 32MB chips with fans on it and needed its on power supply plug... lol i thought the thing wouldnt fit in my tower...

I saw it on "The Screen Savers" on Tech TV. It's a regular AGP card (of course). Funny thing is, my old PCI ATI Rage 128 looks bigger than it. All 128MB of that memory looks like it's been compressed really well... And that l33t looking spaceage heatsink/fan attatched to it was pretty nice, too. *drool*

(EDIT: Got a picture of it! )

3370901.jpg

Sweet, eh?

Shame I can't even afford any hardware upgrades right now.

[ 02-07-2002, 13:24: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Unnoficial? I'll stick with the 23.11 reference...

I used to use the 22.80 unofficial ones, because of some trouble with the "improvments" of the 23.11's. I'll tell you how the 27.20 (XP/2000 version only) goes. The 27.30 (9x/ME version) should be around the same. Wish me good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

quote:

this is a monster card

$400 for a vid card??? ummm no. ill suffer with my radeon till i burn it out... by then it should be around 100$

When I said Monster, I was talking about the processing power. But since you mentioned size, this HardOCP picture compares its size against an old V5500. As you can see, it isn't much shorter.

[ 02-07-2002, 16:40: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]

Nvidia have released 6 (Count em SIX!!) varients of the GeForce4, the "lowly" GeForce4MX are actually slower than the current GeForce3Ti500 and more expensive. They are based on GeForce2 technology.

Top of the range Ti4600 with 128mb of BGA memory (the flat package with no visible pins) is upto TWICE as fast as the current G3Ti500 in newer Dx8 games.

Check out one of best harware sites on the net:

Tom's Harware Guide

And speaking of MONSTER cards, anybody see the 3dfx Voodoo 6000? 4 chips, 4 fans!!

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Anandtechs benchmarks are pure Nvidia fanboy BS. Go check out Digit-Life's article....

On a personal note you see that miraculously the R8500 stays on closer to par with the GF4 Ti 4400. Anand's Radeon numbers are total BS. Trust me I own the card.

When I see stuff like that posted it makes me want to do physical harm.....

Anyway EVERYONE should skip the GF4 IMO. It really is nothing but a slightly beffed up GF3 with super buff RAM. The product to keep your eye out for is the R300 due out around aprilish.

The R300 (next gen radeon) was developed by ArtX who made the Gamecube. It has 8 pixel pipelines, 4 vertex shaders, 128mb ram 333/666mhzDDR, And comes clocked at 350MHZ.

Oh, its DX9 compliant. (if they get the drivers right heh). In september ATi is releasing the R350 clocked at 400mhz.

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

Anandtechs benchmarks are pure Nvidia fanboy BS. Go check out Digit-Life's article....

On a personal note you see that miraculously the R8500 stays on closer to par with the GF4 Ti 4400. Anand's Radeon numbers are total BS. Trust me I own the card.

When I see stuff like that posted it makes me want to do physical harm.....

Anyway EVERYONE should skip the GF4 IMO. It really is nothing but a slightly beffed up GF3 with super buff RAM. The product to keep your eye out for is the R300 due out around aprilish.

The R300 (next gen radeon) was developed by ArtX who made the Gamecube. It has 8 pixel pipelines, 4 vertex shaders, 128mb ram 333/666mhzDDR, And comes clocked at 350MHZ.

Oh, its DX9 compliant. (if they get the drivers right heh). In september ATi is releasing the R350 clocked at 400mhz.

Anand also states that he used the latest Radeon Beta Drivers from ATI's site, and even admitted that numbers for the Radeon were not right. And while I am on Radeon; The only way I am buying one of these cards is when they fully supports BCM. Need proof, go here, until that happens, Nvidia, gets my money.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by Tim:

And speaking of MONSTER cards, anybody see the 3dfx Voodoo 6000? 4 chips, 4 fans!

hehe ya, and you need the brick style power supply to run it too lol.

quote:

The only way I am buying one of these cards is when they fully supports BCM

i just got my Radeon about a month ago, and ive had zero problems with it running BCM... ZERO. all the latest patches are installed, plus DX8.1 and BCM 1.0.0.5 its odd tho how on some systems you get a booty load of probs running certain programs,games,or applications but on other systems with the same vid card you dont...

[rp]Fox scratches his monobrow in confusion[/rp]

[ 02-07-2002, 22:56: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Guys I own a Radeon 8500.

It fully supports BCM. The 60xx series fixed all the issues. I even downloaded the E2 demo to test it. It plays flawlessly. That was before the SC made changes to better support Ati. He could remove the work arounds today and the game would be fine.

You need to go check out my other post of FPS. My card with its new drivers open a can of whoup A$$ on this game.

I need to post some screenies of BCM running at 1024x768x32 with 64 sample Ansio and 2x Smoothvision. Then well see what your opinions are.

Read all about the G4 on TOMS HARDWARE site, and all I can say is hummmm, no direct support for DX8????, its faster yeah... but without the necessary processor to go with it would you get your bang for your buck!!..I only just got a G3, and yet haven’t unleashed its potential even close yet!!!

[rant]

This has got to be the #1 saga of at least Q1, 2002!!!

What a bunch of whinning beggers. Now granted, if I would have gotten in on this deal, I would not have expected to get the card, let alone a $30 off coupon. These people should be glad they got anything. But no, some of these ungratefuls, want to wait and see if Best Buy gives in totally and ships the cards out for $129.99. And anybody who believes that Best Buy pays $99 for these cards is a complete, moronic, idiot!!! Nobody makes $300 profit on these cards unless they have the name Nvidia.

[/rant]

Just had to get that out, now I feel better.

[ 02-12-2002, 12:34: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]

Greg, I have to question your rant. If I were in the retail business to make money, I somehow doubt that I'd bother buying stock of the G4 unless I was makeing at least a 100% profit (meaning I buy for 200 and sell for 400).

And chains like BB very rarely make less than a 200% profit on their merchandise. It's how they stay in business and why they can have some pretty nice sales to generate traffic without hurting their bottom line.

Then again, I could be wrong. They could be paying everyone min. wage and cutting everything close to the bone. But I doubt it...

quote:

Originally posted by Akira:

Greg, I have to question your rant. If I were in the retail business to make money, I somehow doubt that I'd bother buying stock of the G4 unless I was makeing at least a 100% profit (meaning I buy for 200 and sell for 400).

And chains like BB very rarely make less than a 200% profit on their merchandise. It's how they stay in business and why they can have some pretty nice sales to generate traffic without hurting their bottom line.

Then again, I could be wrong. They could be paying everyone min. wage and cutting everything close to the bone. But I doubt it...

You're not wrong. I'm sure Best Buy buys the GeForce4 cards for a whole lot less than they're selling them for. If they actually did sell them out at that price they'd still be making a "profit" on the cards (or at least cutting very close to even). In the long run, though, they wouldn't be making enough money off the batch to really make any money. In selling 100 units at that price they'd probably only make as much profit as they would off of 20 (disclaimer: I put absoltely 0 minutes of thought into the math up there, it could be more like 30 or even more like 10... don't feel like thinking about it) and on top of that they'd be down 100 units instead of 20.

Anyway, as much as the GF4 kicks ass I'm not really convinced there's any reason to upgrade to one. I've got a GeForce3 (just the plain old vanilla kind, no titanium here...) in this computer and a Radeon8500 in the computer next to me. The 8500's a bit more powerful, but not enough to make any noticeable performance difference in one single game I play (and I don't like the FSAA quite as much). I have no doubt the GeForce4 will produce even better numbers than the 8500, but I'm not sure why I'd need better performance (don't get me wrong, though, I like to waste money so I'll probably have one in a week or two ).

I'm a bit worried that video cards are falling into the "Why do I need more?" rut that cpus are in. I feel like there's no reason to get excited about PC upgrades anymore .

EDIT: On second thought, it's all the fault of game developers. Damn it, SC, go make a game that'll bring my GF3 and R8500 to their knees so I have a reason to upgrade!

[ 02-13-2002, 23:17: Message edited by: Simparadox ]

quote:

Damn it, SC, go make a game that'll bring my GF3 and R8500 to their knees so I have a reason to upgrade!

What the hell do you think bcmxp is for?

Btw, I just looked at the Tom's hardware benchmarks... DAMN the ti4600 is about 3 TIMES faster than my gf2 mx400..... awww I want one but I have no idea when I'll get able to get one.... I hope prices will drop quickly....

[ 02-14-2002, 03:13: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

I wouldn't think that Nvidia, and Visiontek would let BestBuy get away with wholesaling them in at $99, then retailing them out at $399. I believe that BestBuy is making on these cards, at most, is $100 profit; and even that is a big stretch to assume. Let's not forget the Manufacturer and Middle Man profits now; that would be a lot to squeeze out of $99.