GeForce 4

Cmdr Nova

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Miller:

I wouldn't think that Nvidia, and Visiontek would let BestBuy get away with wholesaling them in at $99, then retailing them out at $399. I believe that BestBuy is making on these cards, at
most
, is $100 profit; and even that is a big stretch to assume. Let's not forget the Manufacturer and Middle Man profits now; that would be a lot to squeeze out of $99.

Speaking from experience, almost everything you see in major retail stores is selling at 200-400% mark-up. Don't forget that Best Buy buys GF4's in giant bulk quantities and the "middle man" does the same from the manufacturer.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Btw, I just looked at the Tom's hardware benchmarks... DAMN the ti4600 is about 3 TIMES faster than my gf2 mx400..... awww I want one but I have no idea when I'll get able to get one.... I hope prices will drop quickly....

If you really want to feel inferior go check out nvidia.com's "performance analyzer". When my friend bought his GF3 (a few weeks ago) to upgrade from his MX he checked the performance gain according to nVidia. Turns out it was something like 400% faster. Somehow I think nVidia's numbers are a bit skewed...

All I have to say is, for those interested in upgrading here's some rules:

Stay away from the GF4-MX. These cards were not intended for the gaming market, but instead as the current vid card for the business market.

If you must have the best of the best, get the Ti4600. For now, nothing beats it.

If you need to save money but still like to play games, there's nothing more sweet than a GF3-Ti200 (most are OC freindly and perform almost as good as the Ti500)

Now, having said that, were ATI to get their heads out of the south door and get a good team working on drivers, then the I'd suggest the 8500. At around $250 (online) it's the best bang for the buck followed by the ti200...

Now, as for the R3XX ATI is whispering about... Well, we all know how long it takes for that company to make drivers as good as their chips. Don't get me wrong. I like ATI, i just don't like their drivers.

So, if you have $500 sitting around, and you must be able to hit 200fps in Quake 3, you know what you must do.

If you're smart, though, you'll wait for the seas to calm.

• 4 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Miller:

Yes, I know, this is a
monster
card, and yes, I want one!!!

Tuesday, Best Buy had a preorder for it, only the price was
$129.99
, keep in mind, this is the
$399
card. The price has since been fixed, and orders placed for the insane price have been
Canceled
!

Edit: The Anandtech thread has been locked and then deleted shortly after BB canceled all orders.

LOL!!!!!

This $129.99 issue has not died. I wouldn't want to be in Best Buy's shoes right now.

For a history refresher course, read that linked page from the bottom, up.

quote:

Automated Responses -Steve

I just want to let everyone know that they shouldn't get discouraged by "automated responses" even though they are *cough* personalized by whatever person is attending the mail that day. The mere fact that they have had to resort to MASS AUTOMATED RESPONSES due to the overwhelming amount of people complaining SHOULD at least be a CLUE there is a problem. Trust me, a normal business would realize something was wrong when they needed to have full time staff sending out "automated responses". Just for laughs...I sent this one in to see how CONCERNED they really are...have a look.

Subject: VisionTek Xtasy GeForce Ti4600 Order

Dear Sir or Maam,

My car won't start because it is out of gas....I have nowhere left to turn. I am afraid that I may have to walk...and considering how lazy I am, that is unacceptable. I would like Best Buy to send me a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich and a free taxi to help me get home. I would appreciate any help you could give me in this matter.

Steven Lynch

RESPONSE:

Dear Steven Lynch

Thank you for taking the time to contact the corporate offices of Best Buy. We become very concerned when a customer is moved enough to express their dissatisfaction over the service they received. I apologize for not responding to your concern sooner. We received your recent communication regarding your canceled VisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Graphics Accelerator order and apologize for your disappointment. A pricing error inaccurately displayed the item at a price much lower than its value and we will not be able to fulfill your order at the incorrect price. Per our terms of service, Best Buy reserves the right to correct any errors even after an order has been placed. Best Buy strives to make each experience you have with us a positive one and we apologize again for your inconvenience. Thank you for writing; we do appreciate your patience and your patronage.

Thank you for your understanding.

ROFL!

Man, Best Buy sucks big time. Best buy is BIG, they have tons of store all around America (Not only US, Canada included), they could honored the deal and make themselves good publicity, instead, they sow themselves as arrogant greedy bastards. Shame on them.

Take all of those stores, multiply the $200 by the number of people who know about computers and graphics cards, then multiply by the maximum number a person can buy for a business that makes/sells computers, and see if the publicity would help fix ALL OF THAT MONEY that they are going to lose if the deal stays as it is. I'm not saying they are right for trying to back out of the deal, but it's the only logical thing they can do. Best Buy just had an error, they don't suck, and are usually a good place to shop. They just got a lot of people pissed...

In the UK, they have to honour the price mistake. Its like a few years ago when someone bought a car for 100 quid instead of 2100 because the 2 fell off. don't know if its still the same now, but the last time I worked, we had to do this.