ST Bridge Commander Demo

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

so do you guys think they've finnally broken the Star Trek games curse?

Nah, it was Starfleet Command. Even better in my eyes, as I do play Starfleet Battles from time to time.

quote:

think that they did that with Star Trek: Voyager: Elite Force...

Nope, seems more like a Half-Life mod to me. I got it, played it for 3 hours, got bored.

quote:

Nah, it was Starfleet Command

It would've been nice, but they had way too many non-standard ships in it, if you know what I mean. And where the hell did the missiles come from?

I'll just wait till Bridge Commander gets to England. But its damn hard to please me after immersing myself in BCM, hence haven't bought a single game since I got BCM, which is weird considering I buy a few games a month on average.

Missiles came from the board game Star Fleet Battles, which was based on Star Trek before the movies came out (mid 70s) but significantly expanded on it. If you liked the board game you probably liked SFC. If you were looking for a canon Trek game you probably were disappointed.

Star fleet Battles is my favorite board game so you can guess what I think...

Ken

[ 02-27-2002, 07:51: Message edited by: kiloton ]

Guest Grayfox

SFB rocked... and still does. funny thing is i NEVER heard of SFB until i was playing SFC and my friend was watching me and he said "whoah this is alot like SFB" and i was like wtf is that? so he explained what it was, that he still plays it with some friends, and invited me to a sitdown with them.

ever since ive been hooked. i loved using the heavy drone cruisers. the ones with like 4 or 5 type A drone launchers. just come in and do an alpha strike with phasers and drones lol. and drone shuttles were cool too. id use those till i could afford a drone cruiser.

I love SFB, as well. I would just go nuts of someone could mix the tactical depth of SFB with the persistent universe of BCM (the style of the ongoing campaign) instead of the monotonous mission based repetition that kills SFC's campaign. Man, that would be cool.

BCM by far has the best campaign system but it so much easier for lazy developers to fall into the scripted missions and linear storyline trap.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes, that is fine when done well (Freespace, Freespace 2, etc.). But if it gets repetitious and holds no replay value then it becomes shelfware pretty quickly. Luckily the tactical aspects and wide variety of ships make SFC pretty good, despite the single player campaign shortcomings.

Ken

The only Star Trek game that I consistently liked was Starfleet Command. I liked Klingon Academy also, even more so than this Bridge Commander demo. I would have bought Bridge Commander if it wasn't for the POS demo that ruined it for me. If anyone bought the full version post your thoughts here.

I bought Renegade - kick @$$

IL2 Sturmovik - best game for me since WW2 Fighters from Janes.

Guest Grayfox

SFC and klingon academy both rocked. still have em in my library they did need to redo some of the campaign structure though. the federation and klingon ones were ok, but the romulan, gorn, hydran, lyran ones were REALLY repititious. i guess they didnt wanna do 6 full campaigns lol.

the only thing keepin SFC on my HD now is multiplayer. im burnt out in the single player aspect, but its always cool to play someone you know is "alive" on the other end.

anyone play SFC2? lemme know how that one was.

[ 03-05-2002, 13:11: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

SFC2 was decent once they worked all the bugs out. It was still beta code when it went gold.

STBC - Got it but not impressed with it yet.

Graphics are dated but the gameplay it there, which is more important IMO.

Got bored with it and put it on the shelf - YMMV

If I were a reviewer I'd give it between 3 and 3.5 stars.

TTFN

Guest Grayfox

what about dominion wars??? anyone?

and was i the only one that thought star trek armada blew dog?

mine minerals,build, repeat as necessary... same thing for just about EVERY RTS. dont get me wrong, i loved C&C and right now im playin the heck out of AOE2 but you think they could come up with a better formulae?

Dominion Wars was good for like the first 15 minutes I had it... I liked it's 3d mode better than Armada 2.

I liked the original Armada, but got rid of it and got Armada 2, which is better. It's added a few new things to the RTS genre, at least playing as Borg where you can assimilate technology not just ships.

I liked SFC2 better than SFC1 once they patched it. They added ADDs and got rid of giving everyone an extra drone rack and phaser to make up for not having ADDs like they did in SFC1. The campaign is better and worse than SFC1, in different ways. Plus it added the two new races (Kzinti aka Mirak and ISC). As released, they game was horrible but the new patch is pretty good. They have two outside guys working on it now and they are getting way more done than was previously.

I also bought SFC: Orion Pirates but have not played it yet. Too many games...

I have the ST: BC demo but have not played it yet. Likely will this weekend. Anything I should know going in about controls or how to play or what to expect?

Guest Grayfox

hehe too many games? you should see my library

right now on my HDD i have installed: BCM, Kingpin, GTA and the expansion pack, Ghost Recon, Rogue Spear, 688i, Medal of Honor, Halflife/TFC/CS, SWAT3, and today sometime im gonna reinstall Shogun: Total war... now that is a kickass game. turn based play with RTS battle sequences... that and it takes place during the sengoku, which is the period of Japanese history that i am just fascinated with.

That just scratches the surface of what i have. i easily have another 40 games at least (havent made a head count yet)

I just had to start getting rid of my games because I had so many that I would never get around to playing. If it's gotten a 70% review or better in any magazine, chances are I've owned it - even if just for a week or two.

Guest Grayfox

well, before i crawled out from under my rock and looked at magazines, i would just go and look at the "oh that looks cool lets try this" mode of game purchasing. needless to say i wasnt too pleased (the southpark game was a PRIME example)

i can at least say ive played every game in my inventory at least twice.

Bridge Commander is $39 and Renegade is $35 at Best Buy for a limited time.

I picked up BC since it was cheap, and while my earlier opinions stand, multiplay is fun as hell. Reminiscent of Klingon Academy, though not quite as fun.

Guest Fox__Trot

Ok the complete startrek experince maybe?

Startrek: Elite force, Startrek *anyone of the many rts's*, Startrek Bridge Commander... But One thing i dont like about ST:BC is that when I take heavy damnge I want crew members to appear from no where go flying across the bridge smack into a wall a chair and a consule to explode and then I want to pull out a phaser and shoot the crewmember for making a mess

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

Fox__Trot,

I think you need a game where you can play....as a Klingon captain.

Idaho

OMG, Klingon Academy II, but open ended with no hardcoded missions WOULD BE SO COOL.

Guest Grayfox

remember klingon honor guard??? the cool thing with that game was you could throw your melee weapons at people.

nothin like hatcheting your bat'leth in an andorians skull from across the room