Internet Connection Options

Guest $iLk

As some of you are no doubt aware, I currently reside in the middle of nowhere. I need options for an internet connection, and want to know if any of you know anything about the satellite services (DirectWAV etc.) and their drawbacks.

I won't be able to check this thread for a couple days, so be aware. Thanks!

From what I understand, Satelite is GREAT for high speed internet with a browser, but for gaming it is like having a 56K or lower connection. The signal has to travel 22,000 miles bith ways, so the ping for gaming SUCKS!! Other then that it's supposed to be pretty good.

To the best of my knowledge, satellite performs on average a little slower on the downstream (not much) than cable, and quite a bit slower on the upstream than cable, but performs better on both that xDSL.

Satellite is also subject to poor weather conditions and is significantly more expensive than all other services. Around 19.95 per month for limited, and around 129.00 per month for unlimited. Not sure about the pings, but Jaguar is probably right.

Unless someone has come up with a method for upstream communications to the satellite, all you're going to get is a fast downstream connection. The upstream side is still going to rely on the good ol' telephone network and your snail of a modem.

Actually you are transmitting to the satelite as well now, you have a transmitter/reciever, pretty cool technology.

So you have an upstream and a downstream via the satelite. No telephone line involved anymore.

2-way SAT Internet has come a long way here in the states. Upstream is 90-120kbs (notice the small b in kbs) and the downstream rate is on par with cable and various dsl options. Lag is the main concern here for MP. SATCOM (voice or data) will always have a high lag and ping times. Can't get around it.

But you get what you pay for and up/down stream rates varies from provider and SAT Internect connection type; IOW the more one pays [i[]b[usually increase up/down stream throughputs rates - YMMV

Location and atmospheric conditions play an intregal part in any and all SATCOM; TV, I-Net, Telecomm, etc. Installation usually requires a visit from the SAT I-Net vender tech rep - FCC regulations requirement since the SAT I-Net UP/DOWN converter does transmit a signal. This increases startup costs.

Search around and wait for the free installation specials that appear from time to time.

The other alternative is to relocate to an area that has better 'net access options (cable or some form of DSL).

Then again, one could always hit the lottery or power ball and get their very own OC3 connection to the backbone. Talk about a phat-pipe

TTFN

[ 02-19-2002, 23:27: Message edited by: Gallion ]