Question for you Derek

mej023

I am curious about something. I searched and read multiple interviews about you before I purchased BCM and you stated in several of them that you started the Battlecruiser series because you wanted to create a game that you wanted to play. Do you actually play BCM or is the creation of this software taken over that role in your life? If you do play, what do you typically do in the virtual universe you created since you KNOW the game inside and out?

I stopped playing BCM several years ago once the novelty wore off. Now I play only when I'm developing, testing or bug hunting. I don't remember the last time I actually sat down, fired up the game - and played - without doing that specifically for dev purposes.

Is that good or bad?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I stopped
playing
BCM several years ago once the novelty wore off. Now I play only when I'm developing, testing or bug hunting. I don't remember the last time I actually sat down, fired up the game - and played - without doing that specifically for dev purposes.

Is that good or bad?

LOL - I have a feeling that will change when MP is finished...(hmmm...wouldn't that make you a deity in the MP universe?)

I kinda figured it would be hard to play with all the work you've been doing on it.

What a shame, best game in the world, and you can't enjoy it.

Oh well, at least you can take the credit for it.

Idaho

Just because I don't play it - as a gamer - anymore, doesn't mean I don't enjoy it when I DO play it - as a developer. Your definition of enjoyment is probably different from mine.

[ 03-05-2002, 17:21: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

But do you play other games, for fun? If yes, what's the last game you really enjoyed playing?

AvP2, IL2, SH2 and Swat3+Ghost Recon every now and again. I play AvP2 (online) more often. Prior to that, Tribes2 supplied my online gaming fix.

Guest Grayfox

heh, ive probably come across yuo in one of the AvP2 lobbies (if thats where you play). ghost recon blew... the only thing that saved it in my eyes is MP... i was seriously disappointed in it... maybe its the former military thing

and SWAT3 gives me wood every time i play it lol

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

Have any of your opponents (or teammates) noticed who you were?

Nope. Not many people know me by my online name [Warmonger].

And for AvP2, I'm usually on the Duke Nukem, Stargate Avp2, Hadley's Hope or Roman Marine servers. In fact, this weekend I'm probably going to host a server on my BCM mp box here (a 2Ghz beast). Its on a DSL connection, so, if anyone wants to play (Sat or Sun), let me know and lets setup a game.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

This is like asking an author if they enjoy reading their own books.

They know how it is going to turn out.

Yep. But I never know with those Insurgents though. The last time I showed up in Sygan, I got my butt handed to me. Bastards.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

This is like asking an author if they enjoy reading their own books.

They know how it is going to turn out.

Yep. But I never know with those Insurgents though. The last time I showed up in Sygan, I got my butt handed to me. Bastards.

Actually, it was only half of your butt. The rest was vaporized with the Warmonger.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by the Supreme Commander:

so, if anyone wants to play (Sat or Sun), let me know and lets setup a game.

hell ya i want to play. i think itd be fun to whup your arse in AvP2 seein as how i doubt ill never be able to do it in BCM lol. and i wont use the plasma caster im the masta with the spear

im off work sat and sun, so just gimme the times and whatnot, and ill see ya there

[ 03-06-2002, 07:23: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

Is Avp2 a good game?

I remember playing Avp(1) once before... it sucked IMHO (tried mp alone to understand how it worked, always got hit by the littles beast all around. before I could even think about firing.. it wan't working very well either)

I'm downloading the mp demo and will probably do the same for the sp demo.

Guest Grayfox

is AvP2 a good game??? hmmm does Howdy Doody have a wooden arse? hell yes its a good game. i have the first, and i thought the first was good. this is 10 times better. monolith did this one, and it uses a beefed up lithtech engine (similar to the one they used in No one lives forever) the marine missions give you that creepy "doom-ish" atmosphere. A few times i had to pause the game and change pants...

the scenarios are well done (the alien one is a bit bland but still you get to burst out of someones chest ), and theres even spots where the three overlap with eachother. youll be playing and all of a sudden youll realize "hey i remember this scene... except i was that dude over there" i thought that was really sweet.

and they did a good job of balancing out the races in MP too. i still think the preds are the best, but for example, the aliens are hellaciously fast and if their pounce attack doesnt kill you in the first shot, itll incapacitate you for them to finish also, the preds have the plasma caster while the marines have the smartgun (which also tracks targets) preds can use optic camo, while the grunts use the motion detector, and aliens can straight out see invisible preds.

ok im gonna stop now or else thisll turn out into a full blown review

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

"hey i remember this scene... except i was that dude over there" i thought that was really sweet.

hehe, more like "Hey!! I remember this scene....except I was that dude over there...getting his chest caved in"

Guest Grayfox

hehe. well i thought it was worth the money i spent for it. just remember to keep the lights on while playing the marine single player game