Martial Arts

Outlaw

Does anybody here practice any forms of martial arts? Have a favorite? Why did u choose to practice that specific style out of the others? My favorite is the Brazilian art of Capoeira and Jeet Kune Do made famous by Bruce Lee himself.

[ 03-08-2002, 14:15: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

Guest Grayfox

i used to be heavy into Kenpo, and also did a little judo. then i hurt my legs in a training accident, and that hampered my practice time considerably. i still keep up with kenpo as much as i can, but i no longer practice judo.

damn faulty govt equipment

Judo and Hap-Ki-Do (mixture of Karate and Judo).

I'd love to learn jujitsu.. a pure form of Judo. Those guys win almost every martial arts tournament.. and all they do is flip flip flip flip the other guys hehe.

I've been a martail arts mutt. My parent art was Shaolin-Do Karate,I delved in a little kenpo, some tang soo do(Korean style made popular by Chuck Norris),Brazilian Jiu-jitsu,Wing chun kung fu, and a tiny bit of Muay-Thai. My favorite art is Brazilian Ju-jitsu.

I've tried a few also, started with Tae Kwon Do then moved to Shaolin boxing, some kickboxing, ended up with Bujinkan Ninjutsu.

My Ninjustu Instructor in GA wrote a hand to hand combat manual for the U.S. Army Rangers and the father of American Ninjutsu, Stephen K. Hayes, has his home Dojo here in Dayton.

[ 03-08-2002, 17:42: Message edited by: Stormshadow ]

Ive done Ju-jitsu for about 7 1/2 years before I switched to Ninjitsu. Personaly I prefer Ninjitsu. Trained with the Bujinkan Dojo also, but I dont think its the same one since I did it in england before I moved here to the USA. It was the BBD (Bujinkan Brian Dojo) lead by Brian Mcarfe (i think I spelt his name wrong). I trained with 5 diffrent instructors back then, traveling around the UK.

I learnt more in 2 years of Ninjitsu than I did in 7 years ju-jitsu, so I highly recomend it if you dont mind the pain involved.

[ 03-08-2002, 19:24: Message edited by: Roberto ]

Master Hayes is a legitimate instructor in ninjitsu. He has done a lot of work with the Us military. The tradtion of not teaching gaijin or

non Japanese is not as widely practiced as it used to be. Myself , i've trained in several northern sub styles of gung fu but my first and only love is pure WTA Tae Kwon Do. My instructor for six years was Billy Blanks (mr. Tae Bo) Billy

promoted me to black belt and our Master Park Jon Sue of Toronto signed my promotion certificate.

I love the complex kicking forms, spinning and jump kicks. It is an adequate self defense art , but really TKD is a sport.

quote:

So the Army Rangers know some Ninjutsu techniques but not the whole training for it? Interesting because last I heard that this art was taught only to family in Japan back in the early centuries.

The manual was basic self-defense techniques utilizing the fundementals of taijitsu (The actual body-movement & unarmed combat aspect of ninjutsu ) as a foundation. As for the "whole" training.... Ninjutsu training comprises many different facets. Unarmed combat,weapons training,blind fighting, sensory awareness, as well as the more esoteric and mystic aspects of the art...which you really don't even start to touch until you get your black-belt.

This kind of response coupled with the stigma that the art gained back in the "ninjamania" craze of the 80's made me reluctant to post in this thread . Many people have the same erroneous misconceptions that you do with little basis in actual fact.

Dr.Masaaki Hatsumi is the 34th Grandmaster of the Togakure ryu Ninjutsu in a direct line that goes back around one thousand years to the founder Daisuke Nishina.

quote:

Ive done Ju-jitsu for about 7 1/2 years before I switched to Ninjitsu. Personaly I prefer Ninjitsu. Trained with the Bujinkan Dojo also, but I dont think its the same one since I did it in england before I moved here to the USA. It was the BBD (Bujinkan Brian Dojo) lead by Brian Mcarfe (i think I spelt his name wrong). I trained with 5 diffrent instructors back then, traveling around the UK.

I learnt more in 2 years of Ninjitsu than I did in 7 years ju-jitsu, so I highly recomend it if you dont mind the pain involved.

I would say it's probably the same.The bujinkan Dojo is probably pretty much world-wide now.

here is a link to Stephen K Hayes's website:

SKH

Here is some Bujinkan Stuff for you

Bujinkan.org

Enjoy

[ 03-08-2002, 23:57: Message edited by: Stormshadow ]

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

Enjoy

Thanks for the links. man steve is getting old! I havent seen any pics of him in such a long time. the last time I saw him, he had black hair, not grey

I was a little supprised to see that the classes over here in the USA are only 45 mins long (acording to one of the links I was looking at).

Man I used to train 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time, and thats not including the outdoor stuff we did on a weekend.

Im way out of touch in the martial arts scene these days since I quit. I dammaged my neck when we were fighting with blind folds on, and never went back after that.

quote:

Originally posted by Vanethian:

I only practice Boxing. I don't think you would have a chance against a good boxer. No "bruce lee tricks"... just a good blow in your face. Goodnight...

Lol! Get a tape of the first UFC and re-post that statement with a straight face.

I used to do some boxing(got to learn how to take a punch sooner or later), Thai Boxing (Trained for a few month in Chonburi), Taekwondo (got a black belt here) and some grappling (ground fighting training mostly). I know what you mean about boxing though, a single strong uppercut could win you a fight in less than a few seconds.

I practise Karate, my boyfriend who we all know as David Foss, is a black belt in Tai Kwon Do. ^_^ I'm so proud! He was even asked to train for the olympics once when he was a kid!

I'm just an orange belt... *sigh*

quote:

Originally posted by Roberto:

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

Enjoy

Thanks for the links. man steve is getting old! I havent seen any pics of him in such a long time. the last time I saw him, he had black hair, not grey

I was a little supprised to see that the classes over here in the USA are only 45 mins long (acording to one of the links I was looking at).

Man I used to train 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time, and thats not including the outdoor stuff we did on a weekend.

Im way out of touch in the martial arts scene these days since I quit. I dammaged my neck when we were fighting with blind folds on, and never went back after that.

Yea thanks for the link I was doing some Bujinkan a couple of years ago but the class closed down now I can get back to it!

• 1 month later...

I did a couple years of Tae Kwon Do. Now I am learning to break anything that is thrown my way. Arms, legs.... you get the picture. Plus pressure points. Too bad they don't work on me. Well the nose one works, but I am getting use to it.