I keep hearing...

J.Smith

I keep hearing that Blizzard Entertainment is going to develope a Starcraft II. Has anyone else heard this rumor. I went to their web site, and I don't see anything about it, so I think it is just a rumor.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grayfox

mine, build, repeat... same formulae for 95% of the RTS out there... SWEET MONKEY JESUS come up with something else to do besides build, mine, build army, mine, build buildings, mine etc etc...

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

mine, build, repeat... same formulae for 95% of the RTS out there... SWEET MONKEY JESUS come up with something else to do besides build, mine, build army, mine, build buildings, mine etc etc...

Hm.. I wonder, if YOU were to do a RTS, what "concept" would you use???

But I find Empire Earth rather interesting. I can't wait to have the full game

If Blizzard were to start developing Starcraft II right now, it would probably be in stores by December 2007 (three years past release date), over budget, released on the brink of cancellation, and still kick ass and make millions. They're the Zoetrope Studios of the gaming industry!

quote:

But StarCraft barely rates above an action-arcade game with lots of stuff for you to control.

It's much more than that. In order to defeat the really tough opponents (read: not campaign AI), you have to exploit the terrain effectively, learn the strengths and weaknesses of every unit, plan ahead in fast motion, etc.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Hm.. I wonder, if YOU were to do a RTS, what "concept" would you use???

shogun:total war hit it right on the head. split the resource crap and military movement into turn based ala RISK. and do the actual battles in real time. i found that the most enjoyable. same with Star Wars: Rebellion. all the menial crap (mining, building, etc) was done turn based, but the naval battles were real time.

now if I (as you so blatently put it) were to do a RTS i would do it thusly: you start out with X amount of dollars to build your city ala sim city. influx of civillian traffic from neighboring areas (overpopulated cities etc) will determine your income with which you can keep adding to your city to provide more room or jobs, or start building your military.

you can also add programs such as "recruitment commercials" (or something similar) which costs X amount of dollars to create, but will add X amount of people from your population into your military. depending on the size of your city you can have Research and engineering for upgrades etc. and it can expand exponentially. you can set taxation, inflation etc... to increase your cash flow/pool.

all im saying is there are alternatives to sending out the lemmmings to look for gold or rocks or tiberium and building your civilization on that... christ its been beaten to death... thats why i dont play many RTS. i have the first C&C, and i have shogun, SWR, and AOE2 thats it.

so siddown.

I do not beleive that there are any true RTS's and that if created a true RTS would be rather boreing. In my experiance with the "RTS"/ Strategy genre I find that SW:Rebellion, Shogun are good with Grand strategy and that SW:Force Commander manages to partially alleviate the problems inherant to RTS games.

Guest Grayfox

SW force commander was one i forgot to mention... no mining there. you get eps instead for killing enemies and taking over enemy structures. you then would use the eps to "buy" more troops.

excellent premise, though the missions were kinda iffy. i would have preferred them doing one whole campaign for the rebellion and one for the empire instead of you starting imperial then defecting to the rebellion... that kind of turned me off to the game.

and what would SWAT 2 and Starship Troopers be classified as??? RTS? Strategy? action arcade with realtime features?

[ 03-20-2002, 15:37: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

I haven't picked up either of those yet. What I can tell about Starship Troopers it is more RTT or Realtime Tactical but I haven't played it so I cannot classify it as this yet.

Guest Grayfox

SWAT 2 is old... mid 90's. i think you could classify it as the same. RTT. i loved starship troopers... for some reason most people didnt. i liked it cause it mixed the book with the movie... ie you had power armor, but only NCO's or officers could use them. the missions were well put together, and your troops would gain experience with each mission they survived thus promoting them eventually.

you get that "attached" feeling to your troopers and feel like crap when one of them dies.

i liked the game... anyone else?

quote:

If Blizzard were to start developing Starcraft II right now, it would probably be in stores by December 2007 (three years past release date), over budget, released on the brink of cancellation, and still kick ass and make millions. They're the Zoetrope Studios of the gaming industry!

ROTFLMAO!

I justed wanted to add my two cents on two games mentioned in this post.

1) Swat3, I'm not sure if you talked about 3 or two, but I played 3 alot and I thought it was great. The ability to command your squad I thought was exceptional, the commands became intuitve, and it was a lot of fun.

2) SHOGUN: TOTAL WAR

MY FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME ------ SOON TO BE FORMER FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME WITH MY BCM IN HAND

Hard to top it, for I have honestly played this game for over 3500 hours, thats just a low estimate. I thought that the way the battles were executed was simply superb, the graphics were beutiful and gameplay had immense replay value. I loved the scale too, being able to command 1800 soldier on the battle feild, and each one was a sererate entiy, in that while organised into squads, the soldiers could lag behind and the fall back into their row. The sight of two large armys formed up into battle lines with banners flying in the breeze and stretching to the horizon, facing each other, motionless, waiting to release their tension in all out battle, its simply amazing. I would love to see this game engine applied to civil war battles, and instead of 1800 men, be able to command 50,000+ on the battle field. If someone could pull that off with the quality of Shogun total war, I would drop out of school and play that game till I died, for there would be no other reason to live

[ 03-21-2002, 01:36: Message edited by: goaliejerry ]

Guest Grayfox

lmao... no kidding. just slide my food under the door

the only civil war game i have is Robert E Lee: civil war general. i liked it... kinda reminded me of the ole hex-board civil war games we used to play as kids

as for SWAT, i was talkin about SWAT2 its a 3rd person type view, but the action takes place in real time. as for SWAT 3, the game is friggin awesome. the room clearing (tossing in the chem stick really is SOP for room clearing) and the radio calls are really spooky because theyre pretty realistic... as close as ive seen any game do. the control interface takes a lil gettin used to, but with time youre able to bark out commands with no prob.

AS for shougun hehe i absoloutely love the game... if you wanna do something cool, go out and actually read "the art of war" (if you havent already) then play some more... youll find that alot of whats in the book can be translated to the battlefield in the game... freaky

EDIT--------

just checked out the total war website, and just discovered that they are releasing Medieval: Total War... booyah.

ill post about it in another thread

[ 03-21-2002, 12:51: Message edited by: Grayfox ]