Windows XP, What is it good for?

Thomas Braun

Anyway, I just got offered an extremely good deal on Windows XP Proffesional ($36) by a Microsoft employee. So, I have a question about XP: is it any good? I see the SC's stopping support for Win98 and I figured if I'm going to upgrade I'd better go for the best. It seems that plenty of people have XP now, so does anyone have anything good (or bad), to say about it.

Just a question.

The good: It's fast and it's stable.

The bad: None of your old DOS games will work on it. The few that will, won't work correctly. Lot's of older Windows games won't work correctly on it either. Postal, for example.

[ 03-18-2002, 17:56: Message edited by: Scrivener ]

Sorry if it's already there, I got tired of waiting for the search thingy to find it.

That's basicaly all that I've heard about XP, that old stuff won't work. That doesn't surprise me though. . . My old 3.X stuff doesn't work in 98. And I'll dual boot with DOS if I have to. There are som darn good DOS games that I just can't give up. . . Thanx.

Some old DOS stuff DOES work, I tried out the original ZORK DOS-BASED game on Windows 2000 Pro as well and it works. Some DOS stuff doesn't stand a chance though...

I ran a search in this forum using XP as the subject search criteria, and came up with a lot of hits. Here are the most important ones.

Windows XP Professional

Windows XP and FPS game difficulties

To xp or not to xp

[ 03-21-2002, 15:22: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]