MS loses to Lindows - Landmark case!!

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:

cant ppl leave MS alone? he hasnt dome anything wrong except release Win95, lol. other than that they have dont somewhat good

You should read up on what they did. The main things are :

1 - Release os'es in "beta" state and expect people to wait for service packs and updates

2 - Screwing up winxp because of the registration thing, up to the point where local schoolboards have banned the use of winxp and are thinking about switiching to linux (eh, that's true)

3 - Monopolising the software industry, how?

-- 1 - buying competitors, and putting them out of work, or making them work on the x-box (bungie anyone?)

-- 2 - preventing completely or partially the use of concurrent software (espech. Netscape) or media (wma vs. mp3)

-- 3 - Calling open-source software "communist" (that was funny) and doing anything to stop that.

-- 4 - Releasing os'es that cost like a third of a complete system

4 - Other general and periodic "I'm bigger, better and have more lawyers than you so get out of my way" stuff, like this thread is about.

quote:

ppl are just mad cause he did what they couldnt

What did microsoft did that was superior? Their first version(s) of windows, which is windows 3.1, was a competitor to OS/2, which was far superior (eh, OS/2 merlin had voice command, for example), but dishonest techniques such as software dumping gave Microsoft the upper hand.

BTW Bill gates himself was working at IBM on the OS/2 software when he decided he's go away with the best guys and go against IBM. Now tell me win3.1 isn't made of 75% pure OS/2, 10% mac/os and 15% crap.

[ 03-22-2002, 03:16: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

[QB]You should read up on what they did. The main things are :3 - Monopolising the software industry, how?

-- 1 - buying competitors, and putting them out of work, or making them work on the x-box (bungie anyone?)

-- 2 - preventing completely or partially the use of concurrent software (espech. Netscape) or media (wma vs. mp3)

-- 3 - Calling open-source software "communist" (that was funny) and doing anything to stop that.

-- 4 - Releasing os'es that cost like a third of a complete system[QB]

monopoly? were i still see linux, Unix, OS/2, Mac, Netscape and Mozilla out there, ppl have choices, but he happened to be smart with business and got the distribution. he did buyout small compaines, but they had the chioce of not selling too. they had an idea thay wanted to get out to the world, MS buys it and uses it in thier software if they like it

and yes, he took ideas from other companies, but thats also what they are trying to do to him. they want him to release IE in open source to stimulate the economy, and in essence others would copy him therefore addmitting he has his stuff locked down so tight he almost untouchable

"but he happened to be smart with business and got the distribution"

Ermm... lesse... make a deal with PC manufacturers so that only his OS is shipped with their machines...

which in turn makes other companies forcefully have to make programs that work with or under windows (win3.1 was the last OS that didnt exactly assimilate installed programs into the OS itself) because almost all of the PC's being sold have that OS. Sure, OS/2 and Linux were out there, yet buying and using those were a consumer choice. What MS did was make the consumers depend on windows so that they could use software apps. made by other companies (aka, programs they could actually choose).

Its what I call the "Windows loop". Users: "I must use windows or I wont be able to get anything on my computer!" Developers : "Must develop for windows or i'll have no market to sell it in."

If that isnt a monopoly, I dont know what is.

When was the last time you saw a game for OS2? For Linux? For MacOs? (if you say Myst ill skin u alive )

"they want him to release IE in open source "

Eh? I thought they wanted him to REMOVE IE from windows. Who wants to copy IE? Theres other browsers out there far better than IE. MS knows it and somehow these other browsers began to have compatibility problems with windows (geee! how ODD). That talk of being unable to get it out of windows.. a bunch of stonewalling BS imo.

Personally, I think that the MS competition has the right to give the consumer their products in the same standing as windows does.

Perhaps a certain standard for coding the OS and coding the apps could be established, so that if a company writes an app, it would be able to work in any OS. 'tis good to dream ey?

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

you guys kill me.

Bottom line. Without M$ we would not even be in this forum right now. The computer industry HAS to operate on a unified Standard. if there was even 5 OS selections non of what we have today would be here.

Hardware companies have enough troubble keeping drivers working for ONE system. How is a small software company supposed to make it if they had to support multiple OS's? I could bring up about 100 points as to why You M$ haters are just way off in left field. Who is going to develope Opengl or other 3D Api's for multiple OS's? Where are the resources going to come from? Take BCM. Which system would SC take all his time to support?

Another thing that ALWAYS irritates me about this subject. where do you guys get off saying that Windows sux. No one as been able to do better. yet you guys seem to think that Quality OS's can just grow on trees or something. M$ has spent multi-millions of dollars on continually enhancing the Windows OS. Today it seamlessly intergrates Multi-media, the internet, Hardware, Game OS's ETc ETc Etc..Hundreds of people have been working on Linux for YEARS and it is still a total POS.

Windows crashing... you think its bad now? Do you think it would be better is hardware companies had to support 5 OS's? You are living on Fantasy Island. One OS that intergrates Hardware from Hundreds of different companies... and you actually think it will be perfect. Notice the Xbox does not crash.. yet it runs the Win 2000 Kenel. Thousands of Companies have to coordinate Hardware, Software, Drivers in one OS. Its a Gigantic task.

Guess what everyone SHOULD have to register their OS. What is wrong with you guys? Would you steal BCM? or get it and then say Registering it is WRONG??? The ONLY reason you guys dont want to register Win XP is beause you want to be able to buy one copy and give it to all your friends, Family, people on the street? or get it off the internet for free. Apparently you think that conduct (Stealing) is ok, but registering the product is tantamount to Satanism.

I am a Network Engineer for a large School District, Guess what, We are going Win XP. We discourage MAC use, and only have one Linux Server. Why??? becuase the bottom line is those other systems are not a pimple on Windows 2000 or XP's but.

[ 03-22-2002, 23:12: Message edited by: Hellbinder ]

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Guess what everyone SHOULD have to register their OS. What is wrong with you guys? Would you steal BCM? or get it and then say Registering it is WRONG??? The ONLY reason you guys dont want to register Win XP is beause you want to be able to buy one copy and give it to all your friends, Family, people on the street? or get it off the internet for free. Apparently you think that conduct (Stealing) is ok, but registering the product is tantamount to Satanism.

Careful, that's fairly close to slander. No one has talked about stealing Windows or BCM, and that insinuation is flame material.

Registration reluctance has a lot to do with the dwindling privacy people have on the net.

[ 04-05-2002, 09:19: Message edited by: Guttersnipe ]

If the windows registration was just my name, my product ID # and my company name, I wouldnt mind.

But to give them info on my system, god knows what other stuff they can "peek" off my HDD, my address, phone number and anything that can be used to trace me or send me junk mail or harrass me over the phone.. NO. NO NO NO.

I'll NEVER buy XP as long as they have that registration crapola.

Oy.

Look what you started SC...

Tac, you don't have to register windows. You do have to activate it, but that involves a list of your hardware only, there's no personally identifiable information. Nor does it get ANY data off your hard drive.

To the guy who mentioned OS/2 as being better, you're right. It was far better than Windows 3.1, (in fact, OS/2 Warp, which had Win3.1 built into it, ran Windows far better than Windows did alone). For the record, ask around, you'd be surprised to know most ATM's still run OS/2.

Yes, Gates and Co. left IBM holding the bag on OS/2. But only among MS Snipers have I ever heard MS didn't have legitimate reasons for doing this.

Quite honestly, I used OS/2 Warp until 95 came out. I was addicted to Warp. It RULED.

Being more brutally honest, Win95 kicked Warps butt when it came to PRACTICAL use. It had software. It had ALL the software. It ran games, (REAL games). Developers wrote for it.

Developers rarely wrote games for OS/2. I never saw ONE OS/2 game on a store shelf in the years I used it. Sure, there were shareware games...if you could handle playing YET another version of VGATrek or Qbert.

Is Microsoft great? Nope.

Is IBM great? Nope.

Is Linux great? Nope...(unless you're wanting the best web server around).

Keep perspective guys. They all suck in their own very personal ways.

Idaho

• 1 month later...