Morrowind

Põdi

Guest $iLk

I've been playing it some more, playing as a Dark Elf - I start out in the first town, swipe all the silverware, give the ring you find to the first (ugly) guy you meet outside the office once your papers are filed. He will let you know where to buy cool stuff, go to the back door of the trader in town, trade in all your expensive swiped silverware, buy yourself a set of steel armor, and a sword, go to the peasants huts, rob them blind and beat them up (hehe), and then take what money you have left to purchase a fare to balmora on the giant bug thing.

Scary moments can be found by searching in tombs...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that it would be pretty easy to put in MP for Morrowind, just would take time, but I am no programmer so Dereks explanation pretty much closes the whole thing.

Anyhow, I uploaded some more pics from the game, they are on Morrowinds official forums in the thread named "My experience in Morrowind" so if anyone wants to see, they know how to find it, or I will just come back in 30 minutes and post a link here.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

I've been playing it some more, playing as a Dark Elf - I start out in the first town, swipe all the silverware, give the ring you find to the first (ugly) guy you meet outside the office once your papers are filed. He will let you know where to buy cool stuff, go to the back door of the trader in town, trade in all your expensive swiped silverware, buy yourself a set of steel armor, and a sword, go to the peasants huts, rob them blind and beat them up (hehe), and then take what money you have left to purchase a fare to balmora on the giant bug thing.

Scary moments can be found by searching in tombs...

heh, thats nothing. Me, when I started the game, left the boat and entered the custom area. As soon as I got my walking papers, I proceeded to steal everything that was'nt nailed down to the floorboards.

By the time I was done, there wasn't a single thing left in that building. heh, then I decided to pick that large chest in the front room and got a stern warning.

As I walked off to the back and subsequently out of the building into the wild Blue yonder, I looked at my character in the external camera view and then it hit me ===> where ^&*$(*(@!@ was all this stuff I'd nicked? Expecting to see a large sack hanging over my shoulder; I was a tad disappointed to see just my skinny ass (complete with bald noggin).

At that point, I figured I must've stashed everything in my knickers.

Yes, my character is a custom thief and so far, I've pretty much stolen enough stuff to build a small town. And haven't been caught once (though I got chased once). By the time I'm done, there ain't gonna be a single thing of value in sight.

I didn't give the ring to anyone though. Maybe I should have. hmmmm

Well, FINALLY got my hands on Morrowind. I'm impressed, but I have two gripes:

1) I have a mission to kill rats. The first rat, one on one, almost kills me. After healing, I proceed to take on two rats at the same time in another room. Since the game stops to load new areas, when I open the door the screen fades out, then fades in, and even before I have control of my character the rats have taken half my health. Attempts to jump onto a nearby chest or baskets results in their laughing. It's irritating that they get free shots on me while my computer is still crunching numbers.

2) Combat *is* tough - you're never one hundred percent sure you're doing anything until you hear a grunt or see blood spraying. Anyone got any tips to this effect? I took on a, what was it, a cliff racer? Those big lizard birds, and fought it for about two minutes and hit it twice that I know of - but out of dozens and dozens of swings. Am I doing anything wrong? Should I be standing a certain distance relative to it? Does looking up at it matter? Does looking down to hit a rat matter?

Cheers!

Erik

[ 05-15-2002, 10:24: Message edited by: Gryphon ]

>2 hours? Heh, considering the sheer size of this >game, that's not much time to get acquainted >with it.

--------------------------------------------------

I spent a lot more time with it last weekend and though some of my original complaints still stand I found the game to be very enjoyable. Combat gets better when your skills start to improve. I was frustrated at first but later found that the rich game world more than makes up for any of the games shortcomings.

I used the mod that makes a house for you in Belmora or what ever the city is called and I use it as a base of operation. There are lots of storage places in the house and no one ever goes into it, so I keep a lot of loot there and sleep there when I’m in town.

I found 2 caves in the swamp region just over the mountains to the west of Belmora and after about 6 hours of killing the occupants and hauling loot back to town I was able to net about $5,000 but spent about $2000 on new equipment and repairs. Even though I have plenty of money I'm not able find really good armor and weapons for sale. Later on, I ran into a monster that I couldn't kill at one of those strange temples, my weapons had no effect on it, so I lead it back to town where one of the guards confronted it. He couldn't kill it either, so I stood at a safe distance and waited until the guard got killed then I went over and took all of his really cool bone armor. Now I have really good armor!

The game is really huge! I've found plenty to do and have only seen a fraction according to the map that came in the box. I like the way the story line pauses to give you the freedom to explore until you are ready to continue. I think the game has a lot to offer, but you need to give your character a chance to improve before the game starts to really be enjoyable.

>Define "fine". I'm hearing a lot of reports from >people that have it run horribly almost all the >time on their high-end rigs.. myself, with my >1.1Ghz Thunderbird w/ GeForce 3 can barely push >20 FPS on average, and that's with the >visibility sliced in half. Maxing out the >visibility turns the game into an interactive >slideshow. Though perhaps that 1.8Ghz rig is >making all the difference...

Well, there is a difference of 700 MHz but another reason could be that I’m using PC800 RDRAM, Rambus memory. It gives the system bus an incredibly wide pathway, something like 2.4 GHz bandwidth. The reviews I’ve read say it makes a big difference, but performance over DDR memory is very slight. I don’t know if this makes any difference but my Asus P4TE motherboard uses the Intel 850 chip set with a 478-pin processor.

I have all the settings maxed, details viewing distance, everything. It runs fairly smooth at 1600x1200, but I play it at the 1124x???? (Next one up from 1024x768) setting to keep the text at a comfortable reading size. If you tell me how to find the frame rates I’ll let you know what I’m getting at various resolutions, but anything below 1600x1200 runs silky smooth with all options maxed.

I have no idea what FPS I'm pushing, but the game runs just fine for me - obviously more sluggish outdoors, but not at all unplayable. Based on previous experience I'd say I was getting between 15-25 FPS outdooors with a half viewing distance at 1024x768. Here's my specs:

P3-800MHz, 128MB SDRAM

WinXP (recommended for XP is 256MB)

GF4 Ti4400 128MB DDR

A friend of mine with 256MB of RAM under Windows 98SE and a GF2MX 32MB DDR reports that it runs fine as well on his P3-600MHz.

Picaso:

Go up to Ghostgate, there is a vendor there that sells a few pieces of Obsidian armor, and it cots about 60 to 75k for the pauldrons and shield.

I have no idea what FPS I'm pushing, but the game runs just fine for me

It probably has a lot to do with that nice video card. 8-)

No bottle neck there any how.

[ 05-17-2002, 21:18: Message edited by: Picaso ]

Picaso:

Go up to Ghostgate

I will do that 8-)

I haven't made it up that way yet, but I will try it tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the game the same day I posted above been playing it ever since...

Aside from a view quirks; head getting stuck on rafters inside shipwrecks, a few crashes probably due to storms recently (I hope), an error in the uniform armor for Imperial Legionaire (Which I got past by killing a Legionaire and taking his, go figure) ; The game is a dream... especially compared to daggerfall, (I half expected similar problems)

I am currently playing two different characters... the Imperial Legionaire ( level 7) and a Wizard who has become a member of house Telvanni and has worked his way up and will be a Mouth soon (They are the council members in the big ball in Sadrith Mora, if you didnt know) ... (level 9) He is all decked out in all manner of self enchanted magical items from a ring of levitation to a staff of firestorm... Next on my to do list is an Equisite Robe of Flame Atronach summoning... Love the spell, gotta have it in an item.

The Wizard is much more difficult to play but is immensly more satisfying.

I'll try an assassin or thief next if I get bored with these two.

Well enough of me rambling...

I have a 1.6 ghz 512 ram with a 64mb geforce 4 and the game is smooth with max options on all video stuff at my monitors maximum rez which is 1280 x 960 ( I dont see a way of displaying fps in the game)

To display FPS, go into the .ini file and change Show FPS = 0 to Show FPS = 1 (or something like that). You 'll see it in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. I'm generally getting 15 - 25FPS outdoors and 30-60 indoors. View distance at @80%, 1024 x 768 (I think). See my profile for my specs.

Up to level 15 now...

I am a Telvanni Wizard, Master of Tel Uvilith (sp?) Wielder of Umbra and Chrysomera, Dremora Lords tremble at my approach, Storm Atronach's Cower at my feet. Step Forth, if you seek my favor. Or flee, lest your soul power my next trinket...

Heh... Ok.. I'm better now.

Man I love Morrowind

I'm a monk...bare knuckle conversations are fun....it’s interesting how I can beat the undead until they run out of "fatigue" and then stomp their head in....

I also ate something in the beginning and my willpower dropped by 20 points

I think I'm just cursed somehow...but I'm a monk and should know about these things right?

It is fun after you level up some….

Well im not that far into the game havent even started the main story line, been running around doing stuff for the mages guild I did make my way into a few daedric shrines and well I got addicted to that fast to make a long story short, I did about four quests for the daedric princes and I have allmost a full set of daedric armor when I havent even started the main story line... my armor raiting is around 140

Level 20 and a Telvanni Master, Getting ready to do a quest thats supposed to give my tower Dwemer Animunculi Guards.

So caught up in this characters life in House Telvanni that I have barely done anything with the main storyline. If all the character permutations get even close to the complexity of a Wizard in House Telvanni, then I will be playing this game for a long long time... and that just the basic game, not including all the wonderfully imaginative things that I'm certain other players (and me) will create with the Eldar Scrolls Construction Set.

After much thought, I am seriously considering putting this game on the throne as the Greatest Fantasy Role Playing Game of ALL time. Up until this point, that position has been held firmly by a little known game called The Dungeon. It was the second in a Series called Alternate Reality. The First being Alternate Reality: The City. I just have never found a game that pushed my buttons quite right... Closest was Ultima III: Exodus, The other Ultima's were OK but I felt III was a stroke of genius in the midst of a fairly good series.

I require a bit more thought though... Alternate Reality might hold the throne by sentimental value for an unfinished series. I think I will hold final judgement till I finish the main storyline of Morrowind with at least one character.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

New patch is out. Take a look at this
. And you thought my lists were bad

i got the patch and read the list, and i was horrified. my first thought was 'the SC makes better patches'

i vote for the SC to be CEO of the Developers Union, maybe the lazy punks will get things done right with the right leader in charge

wait scratch that idea, hed be to busy to make anymore games for us, we cant have that now can we