Favorite Books of all time...

Guest Grayfox

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by Echo:

Harold and the Purple Crayon

???

is that like curious george and the bag of ether fumes?

never heard of it... wadda ya expect, im a heathen

Great bejesus, have none of you read A Game of Thrones? For shame. Complete and utter shame. Especially if you're into Wheel of Time (Or at least until book 5. It was all downhill on rocket-skis after Shadow Rising). Not to mention that rather than the downward-spiral that WoT is on, every new SOIAF book is better than the last. Really, those of you who liked Dune or Wheel of Time really need to check this series out.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

[QB]Great bejesus, have none of you read
A Game of Thrones
? For shame. QB]

Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings, just waiting for Storm of swords to hit softcover.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by Echo:

Never heard of Harold and the purple crayon!!!!! I can't believe it!!! Mabey I'll have to buy it for you

err no i havent... does that make me a bad person? or a unibrow?

whats it aboot? im always up for new stuff to read... as long as it holds my interest. otherwise itll double as toilet paper

Ahh,

Dune, (all the books!).

Dragonriders of Pern (all of them)

Stranger in a Strange Land

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (both series)

The Apprentice Adept series (Piers Anthony)

All Creatures Great and Small (James Herriot, all the books are great)

West of Eden (strange trilogy by Harry Harrison)

Lord of the Rings

Asimov's Foundation series

Adding to the topic: Most hated book!

Lord of the Flies.

I was forced to read this one in 6th grade, it made me physically ill.

Idaho

Guest Grayfox

i hated those books you had to read in reading class.... ugh all of them were boring.

hmmm the blue dolphin was one, call of the wild and white fang were two more, and there was one more that was written by faulkner that was so damn stupid i didnt even read the thing. something about a utopian society or something... i just got the cliffs notes for it

White Fang wasn't that bad... The real lousy book was 'To kill a mockingbird'- that one was SOOO boring- i fell asleep when i had to watch the movie. Wasnt a very restfull sleep, either.

[ 05-02-2002, 10:51: Message edited by: Kartoffel ]

LOL, I had to read Shakespeare's King Lear & The Tempest, The Bostonians, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and a couple more books which I have forgotten. Needless to say I bored silly, hey, I was only 13 at that time

When you're that age, its hard to sit still and read a boring book. I'm reading Carl Sagan's "Contact" right now... strange... Better finish it before I head off to China on Sunday- they're communists, after all.

[ 05-02-2002, 10:56: Message edited by: Kartoffel ]

Guest Grayfox

another one was the Red Badge of Courage... my god then we had to watch the movie and that was even worse!!!

i remember after reading the odyssey, the movie came out (the one with Armand Asanti as Odysseus), and im thinking "the only thing they got right were the names"... most of it was totally different than the book. The part about Achilles killing Hector and dragging his body around Troy happened in the Illiad, they totally cut out the part about the island of cannibals that ate half his crew, AND they totally got how he got back to ithaca wrong... i was pissed to say the least

i guess they had to appeal to the "younger" generation or some crap. But for the love of pete, at least get most of it accurate.

Nice to know I wasn't the only tortured soul forced to read some crappy 'Teacher's Choice' book.

On the other hand, the same teacher who forced me to read 'Lord of the Flies' also made me read Stienbeck's 'Of Mice and Men' and Hemmingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea', and I enjoyed both of those, especially the latter.

Idaho

Guest Grayfox

i cant stand hemmingway... hes as boring as faulkner. to me anyways

now of mice and men... that was a decent story. sad at the end, but still really good.

Guest Grayfox

no its just that some of the books werent that hot. ok the lost world was originally done by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (better known as the Sherlock Holmes author) so hes not being original there. The Eaters of the Dead was takin from a translated middle eastern diary written thousands of years ago.

now airframe ive never read, congo i didnt think was that hot.

i dunno... maybe there wasnt a high enough body count to keep my attention j/k

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Great bejesus, have none of you read
A Game of Thrones
? For shame. Complete and utter shame. Especially if you're into Wheel of Time (Or at least until book 5. It was all downhill on rocket-skis after Shadow Rising). Not to mention that rather than the downward-spiral that WoT is on, every new SOIAF book is better than the last. Really, those of you who liked Dune or Wheel of Time really need to check this series out.

I'm with you here Scrivener, these are simply the best books Ive read in ages, They are excellent in every way imaginable. I can honestly say no fantasy writer has gripped me this way since I first read Tolkein, some 21 years ago.

I also agree with your take on the wheel of time, I lost interest after book five as well. The first three were very, very, well done.

Feist's first series was excellent, So was Tad Williams. T. Brooks Sword of Shannara is a very good read. David Farland's series is solid as well, lots of large battles. Goodkind started very strong but has tailed off. David Duncan's Tales of the Kings Blades are quite enjoyable.

There are many more but i am too old and tired to list them now.

Cheers

Airframe is good, try reading it someday. Congo is also good, i cannot imagine how one could think otherwise

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost world is completely different from Crichton's.

Sir Arthur's was about a hidden plateau in brazil wherfe dinosaurs still ives, in the early 20th century. Crichton's was... well... go read it sometime.