24hr gaming channel

Supreme Cmdr

Hmmm... now why would a gamer take time from his rigourous game playing shcedule to sit in front of the tele and watch other people play games?

Sheesh... They want to really make sure gamers never get ANY work done by covering all the bases..

McDonald argues that gamers will tune into this channel partly because of our low attention span. I remember when I was a teenager, I could go 12 hours at a time on games like wing commander or master of orion, ignoring desperite crys from my bladder, stomach, and mother.

How dare ... that ... guy say ... ah hell, what was I talking about?

On the flip side, games have been a driving force in computer technology. Video game developement is getting ever more competative and expensive. This tv channel could be at the very least another media for developers to parade their creations.

The mere fact that it's focusing on the kids/teenagers demographic is one of the reasons why it will fail, because that invariably means that the material will be dumbed down. Some cable channels already have one hour timeslots for this sort of thing, and most of the reviews/previews are patronizing (sort of like Gamespot Kindergarten), not to mention their tendency to be gender-biased.

Gaming TV also has some severe disadvantages when compared to print and online mags, the most obvious being the lack of interactive demos.