Is this a death knell?

Gryphon

Gamespot is launching a subscription service, of sorts. Would you guys pay for unlimited downloads and ad free surfing while you read reviews of the latest games? Personally, I wouldn't. The ads don't bother me so much and I don't mind waiting in line at Fileplanet for downloads - and god knows I haven't watched a streamed video since 1998.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/flat/...2862235,00.html

Nah. I probably wouldn't pay.

I use other sites to download the same stuff from. Sometimes even, the official game site's FTP could even be faster.

Anyway, you could use ad-blocking tools (like the stuff in ZoneAlarm Pro) to block ads and popups. But, nowadays, sites seem to be forcing the ads onto you--GameSpy Arcade can't be accessed if you're blocking ads.

Heh. With the cost of huge bandwith, and the demand of hundreds of thousands of users, I'm not surprised by this. I may not want to pay, but I'm not surprised.

[ 04-29-2002, 16:53: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

If I downloaded games every week or so to try I would pay. (Like cable TV)

If I only downloaded every so often I would put up with advertisements. ( "free" TV )

I don't mind ads too much. That's the price you pay for "free" stuff. I hate pop ups though. They suck the oooomph right out of my 56k modem. I'd rather see a banner or an article wrapped around a big ad than a pop up.

Go with the flow. It's what we deserve. I said this a long time ago.

quote:

Originally posted by Charles Lindsey:

I don't mind ads too much. That's the price you pay for "free" stuff. I hate pop ups though. They suck the oooomph right out of my 56k modem. I'd rather see a banner or an article wrapped around a big ad than a pop up.

Why don't you go to www.panicware.com and try out their free pop up stopper?

Guest Grayfox

eh... ads dont bug me that much... unless theyre so numerous your whole taskbar is filled with 20+ lil 1/4 inch boxes

no i wouldnt pay. i dont like gamespy period. mplayer was bad, they got worse when gamespy took over. i could rant forever about this but ill spare the masses

quote:

Originally posted by LordDavid:

quote:

Originally posted by Charles Lindsey:

Why don't you go to www.panicware.com and try out their free pop up stopper?

The Mozilla browswer has a built-in popup-stopper. Blocks any automatic popups, leaving intentionally-triggered ones active.

Guest Grayfox

well with most sites, they need the pop ups to help pay for their bandwidth.

take stickdeath.com for example. Rob Lewis' site got famous real quick, so he had to expand his bandwidth. that helped for a little bit, then he needed a new server. now hes got unlimited bandwidth. the way he pays for this is through the use of NUMEROUS popups.

thankfully he hasnt sold out and went the pay for view way, thats why i dont mind the popups... that and he and i are alike in ALOT of thoughts about different things

The fact that there is a perfectly legitimate reason for pop-ups is totally beside the point. Like banners, they are the tools of malicious, small-minded individuals who arenÔÇÖt willing to pay through the nose to provide me with a free service.

Guest Grayfox

definitely pop ups.

however some people think things should revolve around them.

dont get me wrong, im all for a "pop up free" internet society, however to accommodate my large download activities, im willing to fight through the pop ups in order to download from a server that has enormous bandwidth...

besides, im impatient as hell, and i hate slow d/l times

I have to agree with Kartoffel and Gray on this one.

If sites didn't get the cash from Ads, they'd either have a shitty as hell server, or they'd have to shut down. And, considering the fact that the profits of Ads are going down, many sites have closed their doors recently.

Say, if the online ad industry somehow has a sudden collapse. What'll happen? Tons of sites close down instantly, and most of the bigger ones will turn into pay sites.