First Amendment Ruling - We're f*cked!

Supreme Cmdr

Thats dumb. An impressionable teenager *cough* cant play Quake anymore, but he can hop onto HBO and watch as much RAMBO and gore war movies as he can.

quote:

Originally posted by Kartoffel:

Dont worry, BCM has NO blood & gore in it.

Yeah and it sucks

No come on, sure right they're going to ban practically all games? Sure. The only economic reasons NOT to do it are too important alone.

rp/

were the keys to my BC Mk2?

Ah, found em.

'This the Capt'n, prepare for takeoff, target one Insurgent Judge. Galcom authorizes warrent for immediate arrest.'

Power hungry fools.

/rp

quote:

No come on, sure right they're going to ban practically all games? Sure. The only economic reasons NOT to do it are too important alone.

For the most part youÔÇÖre correct, but the ultra-conservative yahoos who would try to ban games wouldnÔÇÖt care about economic reasons.

Let's all try to keep in mind that this is a slippery slope. The people who take issue with gibs today will be taking issue with paper cuts in video games tomorrow.

That means the cute cartoon violence of "The Sims" and "Super Smash Bros. Melee" or whatever the hell it's called is up next. And what then?

Guest Grayfox

as we crawl ever so close to the ultimate police-state

orwell would smile at that...

christ... what have we become??? or i should say, our government??

quote:

Thankfully, I don't think that's something we have to worry about anytime soon, as Judge Limbaugh's ruling should be fairly easy to have overturned ? assuming the industry gets its act together. But as gaming companies prepare for their annual trade show next month, they need to realize that in order to be accepted as professionals in the entertainment community, they need to act like it. And shoddy arguments, which allow overly restrictive court rulings against them, are a bad start.

Sounds to me like it's a temporary problem, but it's chilling none the less.

Not a very surprising ruling from a relative of Rush Limbaugh.

quote:

Video games have more in common with board games and sports than they do with motion pictures

Right, if you say so sir.

Does that mean they'll ban the use of steroids when playing counterstrike?

Come on guys, give me a break.

You know as well as I do that this will be overturned, but blame the defense attorneys on this one. It was thier moronic defense that made this the ruling it was.

If the gaming industry had hired REAL lawyers they would have won the case and we could get on with life. But since the defense lawyers are either MORONS or want more money because now they have to appeal is anyones guess. I hate lawyers, they are bloodsucking sharks who care nothing about anyone but thier own pockets. Most anyway!!

[ 05-01-2002, 16:00: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Come on guys, give me a break.

... blame the defense attorneys on this one. It was thier moronic defense that made this the ruling it was.

If the gaming industry had hired REAL lawyers they would have won the case and we could get on with life. But since the defense lawyers are either MORONS or want more money because now they have to appeal is anyones guess. I hate lawyers, they are bloodsucking sharks who care nothing about anyone but thier own pockets. Most anyway!!

Ouuch Jaguar.. that smarts..

Actually I agree with your assessment of their performance. They were most likely "in house counsel" which in our world means "oh my god dont make me go to court, I might piss myself". To go into a trial without understanding the industry you are representing and then neglecting to call a developer or two( or ten for that matter) as a witness is borderline negligent and tactically inexcusable. As we say, "those that can't either teach or go in house" .

The chances of success on appeal are very high especially on what we would call a "fundamental rights issue"(at least in Canada). Appeal Courts are made up of a panel of judges, not just one crackpot, to protect against such ridiculous decisions. Lower Courts historically botch most attempts to "define" Amendment (or charter (Canada), rights.

However you are also correct in that some.. ahem... practitioners like to milk such cases for higher profile "Appeal" court decisions, which also means higher fees and more press. This adds to our already less than stellar reputation and that really pisses me off.

Hey guess what? This legal interlude was free of charge.. see we are not all bloodsuckers... at least not all the time.

Cheers

I meant no offense Oban, I know that there are some "good" lawyers out there, but the majority that I have met are nothing but selfish morons without a clue of the "real" world.

Ambulance chasers and the like if you know what I mean. My apologies to the "good" lawyers.

If I had told my mother that I wanted to be a lawyer, she would have sent me to truck driving school.

No offence taken at all Jaguar.. I knew what you were getting at.

As for your mother, I think I'd like her, she sounds like a smart lady. I wish my mother had done the same thing somedays.

Cheers

Heh, you got to love this stuff....freedom of speech+ issues posted on CNN Money....

I wouldn't worry...the gaming industry is an approx 8 billion industry....legal response is falling back to resupply (bank account) sucker in the opposition an slaughter em' Custer style...

At least there is an appeal process....you just got to have the cash or the "moral" high ground. This has both....

We have to entertain idea's no matter how silly eh? Due process and fair play meets stupid and stupid wins the first round....

Laugh or cry....I'll laugh.

Hey, hey! I'm an ultra-conservative yahoo (Sometimes) and I love my Soldier of Fortune!

I always knew "Star Whores" was alright for the yung-uns. Hitman, on the other hand, completely inapropriate!

BTW, wtf is "Resident of Evil Creek?"

I live in St. Louis County, where this all happened.

Heh. It currently doesn't miff me about what the case is about. (Overruling the county ordinance that regulates games.) For years, I've had to bring a parent with me to buy an "M" rated game. (You need to be 17 to do buy "M" games.) So? My parents trust me, and I think it's good. Keeps unresponsible people from getting ideas from POS games.

So in my view, you are all complaining about the wrong thing when you say "teens can't play Quake", they can, but they have to have a parent to buy it. It's like going to an "R" rated movie after 7:00. (In some places, at least.)

What miffed me is the ruling on free speech.

quote:

Limbaugh said he reviewed four different video games and found "no conveyance of ideas, expression, or anything else that could possibly amount to speech. The court finds that video games have more in common with board games and sports than they do with motion pictures."

What did he play? I personally would like to know. To acknowledge only the fact that he played four different games isn't enough. There are tons of genres and "brand names", like in clothing. You have to find the quality work, like the Final Fantasy series, or games with brilliant cinematic quality like Metal Gear Solid 1&2. Epic games such as those are in fact, have more in common with motion pictures than board games.

I want good ol' Steve L. to sit though FFX and finish it. If that doesn't convince him, very little else can.