Video Game Sex and Violence Act of 2002

Guest Remo Williams

aahhhhhhhhhhh....glad I live in Canada...and am 19 so it wouldn't matter to me anyway

and all that bill is going to do is increase software piracy...if the kids can't buy it...they'll spend the money on a DSL connection and just download it.

Shadow, the key thing here isn't software piracy.

I'm not even going to waste time touching upon all the implications of this.

This will will result in a major change to the software industry. Won't it be great to have to walk into the "adult" section of electronic boutique to buy Soldier of Fortune 2? Try to ignore all the pr0n while you're there. This will result in lost jobs, could stunt creativity* and so on. After this bill, games won't be the same.

Also, DO keep in mind that if this bill or law or whatever it is gets through congress, it won't be long before it is law in Canada too.

*By stunting creativity, I mean to say that movies and books get as violent/erotic as they damn well please till they hit that R rating but you don't see anyone passing a damn bill about it. Games shouldn't have to suffer similarly.

Even if they do pass this nonsense it can still be ruled unconstitutional.

Threatening this market, I have no doubt that a lot of companies will get together and finance a legal expeditionary force to fight this stupidity in court....

I do love Republicans....

[ 05-07-2002, 09:10: Message edited by: Lotharr ]

It seems to only be applying to games where you assume the roll of criminals.

And Lotharr... it was introduced by a Democrat(sp)

I can't believe they still think playing violent games makes kid think they can do that too...

BTW if aplies to any game where you go against another human, which is true in most games.

I believe those games should be restricted to those over 16 ... not 18.