Earth & Beyond Beta

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

310Meg update.

With DSL, it only took 4 hours to D/L the executable and 2 hours to get the update.

And last but not least, a half an hour to come to the conclusion that this game blows CHUNKS!

Wanna play with me tonight? My ingame name is Epsilonfive , I'm a level ~25 Progen warrior, blue ship, blue guy (hair and uniform), 6'6" 290 pounds I'm thking about starting more players, which, incidentally, will be named Epsilonfour and Epsilonsix. Not sure what race/castes yet

Derek, hurry up with BCO!

quote:

Why can't someone give ME $5m to do a game?

Doesn't the government have subsidy programs for that kind of stuff?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

LAS VEGAS, NV (Sep. 3, 2002) - Westwood Studios announced today that it has launched multiple servers for the Earth & Beyond public test, and will be accepting tens of thousands of additional testers in the coming weeks. Earth & Beyond is an online role-playing galaxy that will be published by Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS) under the EA GAMES brand this fall.

Previously limited to only one server, the public test for Earth & Beyond has grown to include tens of thousands of registered players over the past few months, and is opening multiple servers to accommodate the large volume of testers.

"This is a huge milestone for the project," said Craig Alexander, vice president and executive producer of Earth & Beyond. "We've proven that the game servers are stable, even with a high amount of traffic, and we are excited to open up multiple servers to accommodate even more testers. With this achievement, we are now on the homestretch to shipping Earth & Beyond to stores."

Tens of thousands of additional testers will be selected in September through the official Earth & Beyond website at
. Also, beginning today, GameSpy.com will be offering the public test software as a free download at

So there. I'm off to play it (I'm serious )

Darn! the login servers are down until 4:30 pst :/

[ 09-04-2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dredd:

I played the Beta for awhile, but it has the really bad habit of getting extremely old, and letting the beta people bring in their chars is just going to scare off more new players than anything else when it's released.

i was part of the 3rd or 4th wave... needless to say, i played for 2 days and uninstalled it. need i say more?

After reading the word 'no' posted so many times in the FAQ, I decided not to bother with the beta.....but I must admit, those planet graphics look good. I love the halo coming up from the horizon!!

[ 09-10-2002, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Rosko ]

Am I ever glad I saved myself 2 1/2 hours dloading

the software.

After reading these post I think I'll skip the game altogether.

Thanks

quote:

No. Only the Canadian govt. is stupid enough to do that. See Strategy First.

Are you serious SC? like really

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Right. It's good, but it's as how I feel most game should be. Of course, few games are like that

I always like to make a young looking, 7 feets / 290 lb progen the biggest player you can have

ahhahaha!

im not much of a ship creator. so if i where to create one in this game i would base it on a particular ship.

quote:

im not much of a ship creator. so if i where to create one in this game i would base it on a particular ship.

Actually, for a given race, ships have a part that's "fixed" and 3 different types of hull and 3 types of wings. The color sheme, however, gives limitless possibilities and an extensive array of details, including having the shipname written on the hull.

Earth and Beyond has the feel of a MUD with eye candy. If I had to classify it as anything I'd consider it an RPG without much in the way of RP. I certainly wouldn't call it a space sim and I wouldn't consider it RTS, either.

I think character creation was the only portion of the game that I really enjoyed, since they gave a modest ammount of options for customizability so you could tailor your avatar to have a unique look. I think I spent several hours playing with options in this part of the game, only to find out that it didn't much matter, anyways, since the only time you came out of your ship was to talk to NPCs, trade, or use terminals. There's no reason to say... meet up with other players in one of the many station lounges, since you can talk to anybody regardless of location through the chat system.

My final verdict on this game is that I will be saving my money. In the meantime I'll wait for the MP addon for BCM, and dream of what BCO will be like

What bothers me most about the game is it being rule-based. There is little activity in combat, the worse being for the jenquai defender. The jenquai defender can summon target to his location, and kill them. if you summoned bigger than you can take, you press another button, and teleport away. In areas with lots of mobs, you just stay in the center, summon, kill, summon, kill, summon, kill (and loot too), basically just turning around. the other classes need to move around to fight ...

I don't consider it being worth my money, but as long as I can play the beta, I will

[ 09-12-2002, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

the other classes need to move around to fight ...

I just went up 9 combat levels as a Terran Trader without budging an inch, so I can't agree there. Those missiles with thier long range are just incredably easy to use, and I was getting scores of over 100 damage points per hit with my homemade ammo. Many enemies can't even attack you at the range the missiles fire. I didn't even bother looting because I was killing them so fast. I think many people avoid the missiles in favor of lasers because of the need for ammo, but when I go hunting I can carry 1700 missiles for my launchers, which is more than enough.

quote:

I don't consider it being worth my money, but as long as I can play the beta, I will

Now, that I can agree with. As long as it's free it does have a certain addictive quality to it... lol

[ 09-12-2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Litvyak ]

quote:

Missiles costs too much, how did you get the money for them?

It costs me about 400 credits to buy a stack of premade missiles and about half that to make my own which are superior to the store bought variety. I usually manufacture 20 stacks at a time, which is 1000 missiles, and I don't even notice a dent in my funds when I do so.

I generally make about 60k credits an hour of trading. That's the beauty of being a trader... I played as an enforcer for a while and always used to try and scrounge for upgrades when they became available... as a trader I've never had to scrounge, and the cash is always on hand.

Ahh right.

quote:

I generally make about 60k credits an hour of trading. That's the beauty of being a trader... I played as an enforcer for a while and always used to try and scrounge for upgrades when they became available... as a trader I've never had to scrounge, and the cash is always on hand.

Did you play when the Fenris was the golden run? when there was team trade exp, etc?