Everquest player commit suicide

Epsilon 5

Give me a break, it's never the fault of the parents is it? Nah, it has to be some other reason that he committed suicide.

12 hours a day was too much, then why didn't you tell him NO?!!! Not my fault, not his fault, it was the game, it had to be the game.

How about the kid was sick and was not social so he played everquest to fulfill that need. Maybe he had an argument with his mom and got so despondent that that is when he took his daddies gun and shot himself.

Nope, had to be the video game, had to be./sarcasm

What a bunch of morons!!!

That's old news.

Its outright moronic from this woman to sue over his TWENTY-SOMETHING year old son, an ADULT, who *wow* was an epileptic playing a game that has warnings against epilepsy... and who had several seizures because of it.

Sony should sue the b!tch for libel.

hehe, maybe the moron got killed by the Shivan Dragon on the Fear Plane and lost the supergeek gear, the product of 2 years of online questing.

Guest Grayfox

eh... reminds me of the oldschool D&D rpg's... there was a big stink about that being related to kids comitting suicide and crap.

personally i think its all a bunch of horse sh$^t. the parents are to jacked to admit that maybe its THEIR fault that they dont pay enough attention to their kids, and they see the game company as a scapegoat.

kinda like those people that blame society for everything.

the thing that pissed me off the most about the article was this:

quote:

"Shawn was playing 12 hours a day, and he wasn't supposed to because he was epileptic, and the game would cause seizures,"

then WHY THE HELL DIDNT YOU STOP HIM??????? arent you his mother? arent you a responsible parent??? sweet monkey jesus!!!!! you would think that a responsible parent would realize his/her son/daughter was playing 12 FRICKING HOURS A DAY!!! my god!!!

like i said... shes using the company as a scapegoat because she doenst want anyone to know that shes a neglective parent. and in my eyes, anyone who lets their kid play 12 hours when you KNOW he has epilepsy, and you know there is a chance of him going into seizures, is a neglective parent.

ok rant over

*pant...pant...*

[ 05-24-2002, 21:02: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

eh... reminds me of the oldschool D&D rpg's... there was a big stink about that being related to kids comitting suicide and crap.

personally i think its all a bunch of horse sh$^t. the parents are to jacked to admit that maybe its THEIR fault that they dont pay enough attention to their kids, and they see the game company as a scapegoat.

kinda like those people that blame society for everything.

the thing that pissed me off the most about the article was this:

quote:

"Shawn was playing 12 hours a day, and he wasn't supposed to because he was epileptic, and the game would cause seizures,"

then WHY THE HELL DIDNT YOU STOP HIM??????? arent you his mother? arent you a responsible parent??? sweet monkey jesus!!!!! you would think that a responsible parent would realize his/her son/daughter was playing 12 FRICKING HOURS A DAY!!! my god!!!

like i said... shes using the company as a scapegoat because she doenst want anyone to know that shes a neglective parent. and in my eyes, anyone who lets their kid play 12 hours when you KNOW he has epilepsy, and you know there is a chance of him going into seizures, is a neglective parent.

ok rant over

*pant...pant...*

basically that shows just how "caring" parents are to their kids when it comes to videogames.

errr.... sweet monkey jesus?

i'll pretend you never typed that one in Grayfox

Everquest never made me want to commit suicide. (Damnit, where's my gun. Here it is, now where's my bullets. )

This kind of stuff gets old you know? Millions play video games (probably about half of them have been or are EQ addicts, I was.) and this kind of stuff means we should all be depressed barbarians by now. (Someone pass the raw meat and cyanide pills. )

[ 05-24-2002, 22:55: Message edited by: Cmdr. WeeGee ]

Definitly survival of the fittest.

I don't blame the parents really. Of course they are looking for a scape goat. Who wouldn't if the felt responsible for something like that?

The son offed himself. He is the loser. It's no one else's fault. That's what suicide means...

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by AshSpear:

I don't blame the parents really

huh???

hmmm let me do the math on this...

IF the parents knew said child had epilepsy and still let the child play video games (which are known to trigger epileptic seizures) for 12 HOURS, you wouldnt blame the parents? thats just plain ignorance to let that happen. so what if the son was over 20? its still YOUR CHILD!

its not their responsibility to look after the welfare of their child? theyre not supposed to keep an eye out for signs that the child might be having problems????

i sure as hell hope thats what parents do with their children. thats what i do with mine. and if my son screws up because of MY negligence in not teaching him or not watching for signs then i expect to be held accountable.

ECHO??? youre a mom, how do you feel aboot this?

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Elio Jason:

errr.... sweet monkey jesus?

hehe ya. go here and youll see

[ 05-25-2002, 13:13: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

I re-read the article in the news paper (I always miss parts), and the son had its own apartment.He quitted his job thought because he wanted to play EQ full time.

According to his mother, he would have commited suicide because he was an online reject and because of a "virtual" broken heart.

The guy is 20... he has his own place... He is an adult. He can joing the army and go and kill other people, he can kill himself too, and it is in no way the fault of the parents. Maybe they were rotten parents, maybe they were good parents. They are idiots for sueing EQ... except they might end up winning..., but beyond that, we know nothing. We know the guy was a dumbass... He has epilepsy, so he spend 12 hours in front of a game that has the potential to induce fits... this, however, has nothing to do with anything. Epilepsy doesn't make you suicidal. He didn't smash his brains out during a fit, her killed himself, intentionally.

I'm 21, if I do and shoot someone, are you going to blame my parents? No, because its not their fault, its my fault. What, fundamentally, is the difference? I kill myself, I kill someone else... the difference is that one is stupid, and one is mean.

Blaming the parents is just as stupid as blaming EQ. Either way is moving the blam from where it belongs, on the dumb nerd that offed himself. Some people want to die... its free will. Maybe its dumb, but its free will, and there is no one else to blame but the dumbass.

Well parents have a lot of responsibility....but how much these days? Seems more and more if you don't lock up the kids your rolling the dice.

This dude had preexisting conditions....now the parents are trying to turn a buck...sick $%@#@.

quote:

Well parents have a lot of responsibility....but how much these days? Seems more and more if you don't lock up the kids your rolling the dice.

I imagine that locking them up is just as much a roll of the dice, though I would never put myself in that position to begin with.

quote:

This dude had preexisting conditions....now the parents are trying to turn a buck...sick $%@#@.

Yes, but it works.

Actually, thatÔÇÖs not true, it may just be my vestigial belief in the fairness of the system but I sincerely doubt that it will work. Everyone is going on about how dumb the ÔÇ£kidÔÇØ is, but it seems that the parents are even stupider. I mean come on; they might as well sue the manufacturer of the gun he killed himself with. Hell, if they were any smarter they just might try to sue the kidÔÇÖs parents for negligence or some similar nonsense.

[ 05-26-2002, 07:24: Message edited by: Dragon Lady ]

Hi

I always miss the posts I have an opinion on. If I recall without re-reading the article. Didn't the mother find him prior to this day, she busted in his door and he was sitting in food wrappers or something?

He was like 21 and had his own place, she really couldn't control him, however mabey some intervention was necessary. This problem obviously didn't occur overnight.

I lived at home at 21 and my mom couln't stop me from doing anything.

I certainly believe parents are responsible for more than they like to believe.

My kids are too young to guess what they may do later in life, however, I hope I never find out on the news that my kids were; building bombs or toting guns, or dealing drugs or contemplating suicide.

I hope to be a parent who they can trust and learn from, who they can share their thoughts and not feel like I am going to judge them. I also hope that if my kid is penned up in his apt living like a pig playing a game all day, that I do what I can to help him.

Overall though it's their journey.

I have also been taught not to spit in the air, as it lands in your face, so I can't be too harsh about the mother. After all I am a mother and it could happen to me.

I can say if there was a reason my kids shouldn't do something for long periods of time I would try to prevent it, but if they are on their own what can I do?

Ok How many times did I contradict myself?

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I imagine that locking them up is just as much a roll of the dice, though I would never put myself in that position to begin with.

Yeah cause you got it all figured out right

Nope can't keep em' locked up....just locked down....just kidding....have good advise, set a good example build common sense and pray....I guess.....all I know if I have kids and I have any girls I'm buying a shotgun....

quote:

Yes, but it works.

Hmmmmmmm....

quote:

I hope to be a parent who they can trust and learn from, who they can share their thoughts and not feel like I am going to judge them. I also hope that if my kid is penned up in his apt living like a pig playing a game all day, that I do what I can to help him

I think that is a good plan....

quote:

idn't the mother find him prior to this day, she busted in his door and he was sitting in food wrappers or something?

Actually, it's how they found him, dead.

quote:

I dunno, but I guess that's normal, afterall, everyone (should) know that being a parent is hard, can't always have the right answer, can't have the same answer all the time even

And I don't ever want kids for myself

quote:

I have also been taught not to spit in the air, as it lands in your face, so I can't be too harsh about the mother.

ThatÔÇÖs a good policy if you ask me, but itÔÇÖs spit into the wind not the air.

quote:

Not at all, IÔÇÖm no expert on raising children and never will be, but everything you said seams right on.

quote:

Yeah cause you got it all figured out right

Damn Right

quote:

And I don't ever want kids for myself

Definitely the best way to go, all I have to do is look at what my parents went through to know that isnÔÇÖt something I want for myself.

quote:

Definitely the best way to go, all I have to do is look at what my parents went through to know that isnÔÇÖt something I want for myself.

That is... quite my reason too

[ 05-30-2002, 00:20: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]