Grand Theft Auto 3

Soback

Well, I got Grand Theft Auto 3 today and am not impressed. In fact, I am thinking about returning it and getting something else. Any suggestions. Think along the lines of something that you can play more than once (dynamic), and pretty much any genre. I was thinking about that Jedi Knight or something but then I read a bunch of reviews that said the story is linear, so I immideatly turned away from that. So, anyone have any ideas?

Guest Grayfox

yes the story is linear on JK2, but theres somethin about whoopin ass jedi style.

try freedom force? i think they got the comic book feel down pretty good, its a squad based RTS, AND you can import various skins and create your own super heroes. kinda reminded me of the RPG Marvel Super Heroes (anyone remember that?)

Bad news for ya guys - sorta - but Freedom Force is linear too. That doesn't mean the game doesn't totally own - because its the best strategy game I've played all year.

If you want non-linear, get BCM if you haven't already or, if you want a fantasy fix or a more of an RPG fan, you can't go wrong with Morrowind. Morrowind does feature a linear plot, but also features hundreds upon hundreds of sidequests - some quite involved, some pretty short, but generally cool all around.

Cheers!

LOL, get BCM. You guys are way too funny.

Anyhow, got BCM, got Morrowind. Neverwinter Nights I was planning to get anyway. I just went ahead and traded GTA 3 for Super Power and Rails Across America (anything from Strategy First always rocks, and super power seems like a pretty cool game *after the patch which I am downloading right this second*)

So, thanks for all your suggestions.

*Rant*

Seems Take 2 has changed it's logo from *T2* to an *R* in a yellow square which seemed really familiar on that GTA 3 box. I didn't know what company that *R* was for. Really ticked me off when I found out that I bought a game that had anyghint to do with Take 2.

*Rant*

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

i don't know how tih sgame sucks on the PC. i played it on the PS2 and it rocks.

ah well.

its depressing enough they took mp out... i was going to buy the pc version just for that...

I think Jedi Knight 2 was great....there really is something inherently cool about wading through a group of storm troopers with a light saber...or getting in a duel with some cracked out Jedi wanna be...or choking the crap out of an imperial officer, slamming him into the wall then throwing him off a ledge.....all without touching a weapon...

I'm messing around with Arcanum and I guess that is liner too but depending on what choices you make for your character the game kinda changes as you go....but I'm a fantasy nut...

Guest Grayfox

ergh. i methinks the only non-linear game out there is BCM no joke.

every other game is linear "jump through the hoops" based. even the big RPG's. baldurs gate 1&2, icewind dale, morrowind, etc... but that doesnt mean that theyre not fun as hell

I don't know why you hate GTA:3 so much...I bought it the other day and I absolutely LOVE that game!! there's so much fun stuff to do!

for example...jump in the back of a pickup truck, then drop grenades in such a way that other cars run over em and blow up...fun stuff!

maybe its only any good if you've got a sadistic/destructive side

It was fun in the begining, but after about 3 hours I just didn't see the point anymore. I mean it's the same stuff, run and blow things up, the eye candy kept me fascinated for those 3 hours, and after that, it got really boring, repetitious, and depressing.

That's why God made the switch and broad band...so many games are just crap out of the box....then you throw in some people and it's a whole new experience.....of course I crush all my friends consistently in a multitude of games..maybe thats it.

quote:

.of course I crush all my friends consistently in a multitude of games..maybe thats it.

If you're good, then it's fun. If you suck.. well that's a different story.

I like FPS games, but I suck at 'em. I generally suck at anything. I downloaded the SOF2 demo the other day, I thought "wow that's cool", I played 2 games, never played since. That's why I like fightning bots. The only pc vs pc only fps that kept me hooked for a while is HL:DoD. Man I killed them all! (well AT LEAST I had a positive kill ratio, instead of that 1:10 ratio) Gotta love grenadiers (I liked being a MG-sh├╝ltze too)

Oh and I positively hate sniper rifles. They would be gone from games and I would be no less than happy.

btw I play Aces high from time to time and it seems I'm only good in tanks (M-16 baby! ), pt boats and operating bomber (b-26 mostly) turrets. And I suck at fighters. How funny, for a fighter game

[ 05-29-2002, 19:26: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Guest Fox__Trot

Someone said "Anthing from stratgey first rocks" www.kohan.net $$$ oh sorry could help that Give me a sniper rifle and any game and ill beat anyone I used to play on my highschool lan *during lunch brakes and well admin never knew CS was on the comps* and I owned everyone at our school in my sleep with a sniper or an assult shotgun

quote:

Originally posted by Lotharr:

I love a good sniper rifle....

Me and my buddies still play Allied Assult....that M-1 is the way to go....

I have nothing against the M1. In fact, it's my favorite gun.... at least when I had the chance of playing. In lan games a few friends of mine and I did, we forbidded the use of sniper rifles, since it ruined the game for the others, and made everyone camp.

Camping...an interesting phenomena....

I look at camping as guarding an area that has the most upgrades or good weapons.....however in some games....sniping in a position with extended fields of fire and good cover is not camping but...well...sniping....however staying in one place for too long usually get a bazooka rocket to the forehead....

That was on cool thing about AA is that you could, after getting capped switch to a new weapon.I like wolf2 better it takes time to come back in.but you need more people to play that one