Well Guys you knew this topic was gonna come up

Hunted

WARCRAFT III

Thoughts about it?

Getting it?

Ebgames is reporting the game has gone gold nothing from blizzard yet though :-), i think this means it's ready

Come on guys this topic has been a long while coming get out here and post!

All I've been exposed to is the odd gameplay movie and previews, but I've been disappointed in it for a while. It's turning into yet another cookie cutter RTS type game with action elements, an odd innovation here or there and a 3D engine. Blech. I hope, I SO HOPE that Blizzard knocks my socks off, I really want them to, but I'm afraid Warcraft 3 will turn out to be derivative rubbish.

Yeah, Warcraft I was the very first game that I bought for PC. It was great, I was looking with bewilderment at how I could order this little guys to build stuff, cut wood, mine. It was great.

Many games later I bought Warcraft II. The experience detiriorated a little. It was kinda like the other RTS games.

Then I played Starcraft. Now that renewed my whole interest in RTS games. Since that, no RTS game has ever measured up, and I mean NONE.

When news of Warcraft III came out, I was exited, but after following it for a while I gradually started to cool down, and now it just looks like just another RTS with pretty graphics, there's literally dozens of them on the shelf in EB. They all look pretty much the same.

Anyhow, I don't know, but somehow nothing can live up to Starcraft, just something about that game that captures your attention. So, my take on Warcraft III is not so good, it looks too much like all the other RTS.

quote:

Ebgames is reporting the game has gone gold nothing from blizzard yet though :-), i think this means it's ready

ÔÇ£Going goldÔÇØ is when the developer sends the game to the publisher to be mass produced and such not.

quote:

What do you mean by 'cookie cutter'?

That itÔÇÖs just like all the other RTS games that are out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got Warcraft III, and gotta tell you. The quality of the games keeps going down, while the price keeps going up.

This is a full blown rip off for $60.00.

1. The camera is badly done. You can rotate your view 90 degrees left or right, but as soon as you let go of the button, the view swings back to default. ????? Who came up with that?

2. The AI has been ripped out from Warcraft II, or at least it behaves that way. First, it keeps sending it's peasants into my units with some blind hope that they will get through. And it also cheats for resources because every so often it will produce a number of elite units even though it's base is completly surrounded, it will continue pumping out peasants and some combat guys at a constant rate = cheating. You would at least figure that in this day and age they would pump up the AI a little bit.

3. The gameplay is plain out boring. I got bored after only 2 hours. Thanks to what was earlier discussed a cookie cutter game.

4. The speed setting for the game doesn't work. Or maybe it does but the changes in speed are such minute that it makes no difference if you have it set on "fast" or "slow". That defeats the whole approach they were going for in this game. The approach of having smaller armies with different units instead of build em up, and send em to die. Reason being, the fighting is so fast and so chaotic that I can't pick out my key units (mages, leaders) and therefore the only approach you will have is "build em up, and send em to die".

5. The only good thing about this game is updated graphics. But if you are looking for something fresh, cool, and different, looks someplace else. I recomend waiting for Imperium Galactica III or that new Master of Orion that's coming out and see how that turns out.

Conclusion, this game goes back to EB tomorow and some other company will get the $60 they better deserve. I am aiming for that Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Profesional edition, there's nothing else out that's good to blow $60 on and that seems like the best option so far.

Guest Grayfox

well if you "donate" enough cash to a mag, theyll kiss your arse and say your game is the best thing since individually wrapped cheese slices, even thought the majority of the gamers think it blows.

played the demo, didnt like it, and i agree its another cookie cutter RTS. ie: mine/build/atack... same thing over and over. some did it different ie: shogun... they put the building and resource harvesting into single turn based action while the combat was RTS.

there was a thread about what elements would make a great rts... somewhere out there...

[ 07-05-2002, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

well if you "donate" enough cash to a mag, theyll kiss your arse and say your game is the best thing since individually wrapped cheese slices, even thought the majority of the gamers think it blows.

Exactly, I have noticed a lot of bull reviews in computer gaming world mag. Half the mag is filled with adds, the other quarter is filled with their "killer pc" and some mp3 and cd player reviews, and the other quarter is some game previews/reviews. I don't even know where the word GAMING comes in since more than half the mag seems to be dedicated to hardware and adds. Guess what, I have canceled my subscription for next year.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Conclusion, this game goes back to EB tomorow and some other company will get the $60 they better deserve. I am aiming for that Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Profesional edition, there's nothing else out that's good to blow $60 on and that seems like the best option so far.

MSF 2002 is frigging brilliant!! And I'm even looking forward to CFS3 which is due out soon.

Anyway, if you haven't yet, maybe you should get NWN.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

MSF 2002 is frigging brilliant!! And I'm even looking forward to CFS3 which is due out soon.

I'd love to buy MSFS2002 but I can't seem to justify paying the 70 quid price tag here.

I know that I have to accept the fact that prices here in the UK are a rip off, but that game has almost been out for a year! Even the Sims are still selling at the 30 quid mark here!

[ 07-05-2002, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: fendi ]

Woah, Warcraft 3 is good, I don't know what your talking about.

If you play a straight up melee map against the computer, the computer will probably destroy you. The AI is harder than Starcraft or Warcraft 2. The graphics are a lot better than almost any other RTS game i've seen, and the camera angles and cinimatics are great. If you look at the map editor or play the UMS multiplayer map Warchasers, you'll see why the toolset that comes with it is so good. The scripting editor allows you to do almost ANYTHING with one of those maps, and mod value is huge. The single player, as far as i've gotten, is well scripted and well made. The game has a plot, like most blizzard games, and it's far from cookie cutter. If you liked Warcraft or Starcraft, you'll like Warcraft 3.

I did play on the scirmish map, and yes, the computer destroyed me about 7 times. Eventually I adjusted for the computers strategy, and realized that the only reason a computer will destroy you is because they made it so it cheats more. It gets more resources than you, and when it runs out of resources it gets a certain "grant" every couple of minutes. So instead of making the AI smarter, they riped out the AI from WCII and gave it more resources. Also how can you tell me you like the camera view? What other 3d game can you think of where you can't rotate the view 360 degrees, but instead have it fixed? ( I know you can rotate it 90 degrees left/right, but when you let go of the button the view swings back)

Like I said, the only thing that is different in Warcraft III from Warcraft II is better graphics, and new units, but that's about it. And with only new graphics and units it's not worth the $60 by a long shot. The developers of WCIII should take a couple of lessons from the guys developing MOO 3 and IG 3, they are changing their games drastically from the previous ones. Blizard was the last company that I would ever expect to dissapoint me like this.

quote:

The scripting editor allows you to do almost ANYTHING with one of those maps, and mod value is huge.

starcraft's map editor already lets you do just anything short of cutscenes in a campaign. True, it is a bit clunky, but nothing some experience cant fix.

*sigh* We can only hope that if there will be a starcraft 2, that it won't be such a disappointment.

[ 07-07-2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Kartoffel ]

Blizard makes kick @ss games, that's why at the end of me previous post you will read a sentece saying that Blizard is the last company I have expected to dissapoint me. I am not going to say that WCIII is a great game just because I liked the previous titles. They screwed it up, and that's that.

quote:

Originally posted by Kartoffel:

quote:

The scripting editor allows you to do almost ANYTHING with one of those maps, and mod value is huge.

starcraft's map editor already lets you do just anything short of cutscenes in a campaign. True, it is a bit clunky, but nothing some experience cant fix.

*sigh* We can only hope that if there will be a starcraft 2, that it won't be such a disappointment.

Since Warcraft III is good, i'm just imagining those graphics, that map editor, and that AI in Starcraft....wow that would be awesome. Starcraft 2 would be the greatest....

quote:

this isn't STARCRAFT! geez!

[ 07-08-2002, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Commander Elio Jason ]

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

quote:

this isn't STARCRAFT! geez!

But starcraft will probably be built on the engine that runs WC3, or worse, be WC3 with only a diffent interface and environment. Wouldn't be suprising, especially from Blizzard