Have YOU faked being sick?

I don't think that it's that wrong to take a sick day off when you are not really sick. You are alloted a certain ammount of sick days a year, and if you decide to group them with your vacation, then be it. Once those sick days run out, you can't take time off from work anymore, even if you are really sick, so most people just wait untill the reset date (when their yearly alotment resets) and take the days off in the last 2 months or so.

My point is, you don't get much vacation time, you don't get alloted a number of days off what you can use up anytime, so taking sick days off when you are not really sick makes up for that. We are people, not ants or bees.

As for seeing a company appointed doctor, what are you kidding me. He will probably determine that my temerature of 105 is just temporary and not and indication of a flu. Can he tell when I have a killer migrane and just want peace and quiet? Can he diagnose a stomach ache that would make me want to curl up on the floor and weep? I don't think so.

Companies alot sick days by a way of doing business. They determined how many days off a person can have and still make up those days off with profit to the company. So that's that.

The problem is american businesses don't allot enough vacation time. My understanding is in Europe employees have as much as six weeks paid vacation. While I was stationed in Greece in the USAF I met, fell in love(lust),broke up with and fell back in love with a girl from London all during her vacation. By contrast I've been at my company for 10 years and get 15 days paid vacation. That breeds the kind of attitude that makes people creative with their sick time. Since I see patients in my office by appointment only,itis difficult for me to call off without letting my patients know days in advance. Fotunately our Exec.Dir. is considering an increase to 25 days for employess 10 years and up. Two weeks out of 52 is a joke

[ 07-17-2002, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Race Bannon IV ]

Hee hee....in the Army (Ft. Sill) you have to go to sick call before PT if you donÔÇÖt feel good.

When you get up to the hospital (the free clinic) you wait and wait and wait. Then you see someone who may or may not be a doctor and they give you motrin and send you back to duty.

If you come in puking blood you wait and wait then you see someone and they go from therebut good money is on walking away with some kind of pharmaceutical mix with motrin being the primary catalyst to recovery.

I would prefer motrin to surgery however....at least with the pseudo-doctors they have running around the clinic.

This system does keep people at work....even if they show up after lunch because of the wait.

I personally have only gone a handful of times in my four years as I would rather take the physical pain then the mental stress of sitting in waiting room clogged with people.

Actually, the longest time I missed school was a little more than a month... but it was justified (AKA not faked)

I skipped school ONCE in my life : 1 course in the morning, because I was 30 mins late and didn't had a reason. I went to the other courses though.

Next day, I came and said I had a flat on my bike, and it took a while to repair Nobody noticed, and since I was such a great student (!) it was marked as "justified" (the teacher didn't asked for some paper my mother would have normally done). Suckers!

That was in 4th grade high school, or 10th grade in the american way of counting, so that's 2 years ago.

skipping school i skipped a ton of school with help from my rents and not, most of the time it's been justified

last day of summerschool : went drinking with this hot girl and came in half way through first period, didn't matter last day of class we weren't doing nething

out of an 8 day period i had 2 periods of class

so i had my mom call in and make them release me, no point in sticking around when you've got 4 periods free in a row

another day of skipping we had an assembly at the end of the day put on by students, i skipped out on that ultra fast

another day of summerschool i called in as my dad and said i had a fever of 105 lol and told them i had to take my son to thhe hospital, later called them back and said he was okay :-)

skipping school is a national past time, trust me almost all kids do it

Yep, I have taken non-sick days before, but I don't abuse it either. I could never call in sick just before, or right after my Vacation, it is just not right if you are not sick. My boss knows at times I practically come to work on my death bed. There was a time I was so sick, he sent me home after a half day, just after I got my work done for the day.

Where I work, the company actually promotes 2 sick days off. Let me explain....I can only take 8 days, or 5 occurrences, within a rolling calendar year. That means I can only be out 5 times, but on 4 of those times, 2 days count as 1 occurrence. Rolling calendar year means if I call in sick tomorrow, July 18, 2002; I do not get that day back until July 18, 2003. The only thing that resets on January 1st every year, is my 3 weeks vacation, and 1 Personal day. Confusing, isn't it?

Surfice to say, it took me a while to figure out that policy, and always wondered why people told me to take 2 days.

[ 07-17-2002, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]

Race,

Yes, we in Europe do get more vacation time. Over her in Switzerland it's a standard 4 wks plus public holidays. My last job in the UK I had 5 weeks (or was it 6?) plus public holidays.

And yes, I have 'thrown a sicky'. Several times. More often than not when my back is feeling a bit stiff, but certainly not enough to warrant a full blown sickday and visit to the local butcher.

BTW haven't been in for a while, how are we all?

Race,

I've been busy with Morrowind and MOHAA multiplayer recently, as well as working on my thesis, so i don't get much time to spend on ALL the enjoyable things in life. I do pop by now and again to check out latest news, gossip etc.

As for Switzerland revoking neutrality? Give it 5 years tops.