Sound Card Co-existance

XenoZohar

For all those really tech-savvy people out there:

Will two sound cards in the same computer co-exist peacefully? I imagine the answer is no, but could it be possible to disable one in a windows hardware profile, and then disable the other in a second profile, and THEN they would exist peacefully?

Thanks.

Hey Xeno,

I've done it before, but quickly realised there was no point - the newer soundcard I'd purchased could easily do the job of the old one.

Is there some specific benefit you're seeking from using two sound cards? And which two, if I might ask?

Do you wish to run one at one time and then the other? If this is the case than you could disable the unwanted one in the hardware profile as you stated. This does not prevent hardware incompatibilities so if your computer begins to act up pull the one you don't want.

I'm just wanting to:

1. Test the two and see if I like the sound quality of the SC, and 2. See if it stops some stablity problems in BCM. However, I don't want to get RID of my current one, an SB Audigy, for one good reason: the Front panel "audigy drive" thing. It has come in handy before, and will likely come in handy in the future.

That's it. I've had no hardware compatibility problems at all. The only thing that might be considered a problem is that I don't think I can get true 5.1 Dolby to come out of that card, even though I should be able to.

Thanks for the help.