Battlefield 1942 mp demo

Supreme Cmdr

Get it!!

Yeah, its a bit on the arcade side, but man, is it addictive!!

With over 1000+ servers to date - ALL PACKED - its pretty hard to find a free server to play on. But if this keeps up, I'm going to setup my own dedicated server and password protect it.

If any of you already have it and want to play a game later this evening, let me know and I'll see if I can get a dedicated 32-player server going.

[ 08-18-2002, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played it last night. Great game, laggy unless you find a good server - which are usually passworded...

56k gamers think they have a right to play...

j/k

Guest Grayfox

yes definitely d/l it... it definitely rocks...

hop in planes, LCAC's, aircraft carriers... everything!

was playing one game as axis, and one of my crazy (or stupid depending on how you look at it) teammates takes control of the aircraft carrier and somehow beaches it...

very cool game.

Well, if I could get it to run, I'm sure I would enjoy it. In XP, it crashes before loading (and yes, I tried setting the refresh rate to 60Hz) and in 98se, it locks up when i try to enter or create a game. Any ideas?

i,m using 98 se hasn't crashed on me yet but i've been disconnected from the server 1 or2x's

and yes this game rock's this could very well be the new standard for mp games

cool

[ 08-20-2002, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Buzz ]

Hey $ilk, how did you get around he refresh rate thing? Or didn't you have to fiddle with it? I'm using the same det drivers as you, but I'd d/led the refresh rate fix utility and now I can't get the game to work, even if my adaptor says it's set at 60Hz.

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

Hey $ilk, how did you get around he refresh rate thing? Or didn't you have to fiddle with it? I'm using the same det drivers as you, but I'd d/led the refresh rate fix utility and now I can't get the game to work, even if my adaptor says it's set at 60Hz.

Try RefreshLock with the latest 30.82 drivers and just have it override your refresh rates. That worked fine for me.

The BF server has a massive memory leak which causes it to crash.

Anyway, I've restarted it now

Also, if you guys can find out into on how to get the dedicated server to use the serversettings.con file, let me know. This is where all the server config is stored, but you have to enter that info each time the server is started. Its a frigging pain.

I just downloaded the latest DET drivers that came out last week. They are on Nvidia's site. Didn't have to screw with my refresh rate or anything...

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

I just downloaded the latest DET drivers that came out last week. They are on Nvidia's site. Didn't have to screw with my refresh rate or anything...

Yes, apparently with the latest drivers, there is no need for Refresh Lock.

Got it working last night, but was tough finding a decent server. Eventually found one in Norway of all places where at least my pings hovered around 100 - 150, which is playable. Still pretty jerky at times, I hope the final release is better.

I was playing a server the other night where everyone had great pings, my own hovered around 25 - 30, and the game was smooth and no jerkiness except when flying planes somewhat...

Hated to leave because I couldn't remember what server that was.

People hated when I would scream "KAMIKAZE!" and run into their halftrack troop transports with a jeep and kill everyone inside.

Shouts of "THAT WAS GAY" "OWNED" and "YOU A FAG" filled the air...

I love online gaming.

I keep getting games with bunch of kids

everyone is standing around airport and waiting for planes and no one wants to defend the base.

On the other hand makes it easyer for Jap. side

just swing that Destroyer around behind airport and keep shelling it where planes spawn and if u have 2 engeneers on board u can repair it as it gets damaged. Sweet game, keeps crashing tho sometimes

I spend my time dive bombing the carrier and destroyer.

Sometimes some git moves the carrier, thinking he's hiding it. Then the most stoopid breed of gits - with no ounce of teamplay on their mind - decide to launch a boat from the carrier (which I usually spend 15 mins looking for); thereby giving away its position.

So, I do what comes naturally, find the carrier and make a mental note of its grid number. Then I go give the idiots in the Higgins boat a welcome party with two iron bombs, for their stoopidity.

Played on an EA server last night and it was a total blast.

Don't worry folks, this game is all about research for me because it contains elements of what we're doing in mp (apart from the fact that BC has a larger scope, space, more weapons, vehicles etc etc) and I'd like to follow the KISS for mp so that everyone gets to have a great time without too much fiddling. Things like simplified vehicle handling (WSAD) etc seem to be the standard for all games of this type, so I'm going to be adopting that handling in a BCM patch and going forward. The new physics modeling in BCG, coupled with the new handling, should introduce a whole new brand of mayhem.

What I'm not gonna do is dumb down aerodynamics so that it works with WASD. Thats just pure gaming blasphemy I think.

Other than that, I consider this game to be well designed and excellently caters to the action crowd. The maps are probably all small (going by the size of Wake Island map) but it doesn't detract from the gaming experience at all. We have fighters will Mach 3 capabilities, so we're certainly going to keep our massive region sizes (thats what DJPs are for).

The netcode seems to be ok, if you find a server running with the pre-requisite 10K per player minimum bandwidth. Its a good thing that all twitch based mp games are requiring dedicated servers; its the only way to go these days.

btw, I no longer run my BF1942 server

Been running a server myself

I like to play hide the carrier as an engineer so I can repair it after the air attacks in between manning the AA guns

then I go up for a few bombing runs the bailout back over the carrier

When the servers busy and player are queuing up on the carrier deck for the aircraft a lot of team killing goes on I've banned a few players not only from the game but I add their IP's to the fire wall as well.

The game tends to give me a headache after a few hours unlike AAO which I can play all night I'll have to buy a new monitor.

Servers a Dual 800Mhz PIII SCSI hds Cable 1M/512k GF4600TI SB Plat Live showing its age a bit now but plenty fast enough for BF can struggle with AAO when the anti virus, hd cleaning and defraging utilities kicking during the night.

IPS 60.30.250.61 port 14567 for those in the UK not often running with a password but if its protected try pass or password

mostly been running AAO on it for the past month so if its not running BF1942 try a game of AAO open 60.30.250.61:1716

edit

my ISP changed my static IP address for some reason?

Gone back to running mainly AA0 with a few BF1942 games

[ 08-24-2002, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Pugwash ]