Star Wars Galaxies

Supreme Cmdr

Nabbed this off the web. I already knew that they weren't going to do an in-space module. Contrary to what most thing, it is not easy to create a seamless space/planet world - and especially one with multiplayer - and - MMOG at that. Anyway, dunno why this lack of in-space arena is news, but here it is

quote:

What is going on over at Sony Online? The Sony owned development group called Verant continues to have problems with their upcoming line-up of massively multiplayer games.

We've heard the news that Star Wars Galaxies has been delayed until February 2003 and that the initial game won't ship with any of the in-space features, so no flying around in your fancy X-Wing fighters. However, a source very close to SWG has said there's no way the game will even be releasing before the summer of 2003, and most likely not until the September/October 2003 timeframe. Ouch! Quite a delay there.

Along those lines, Verant has said almost nothing about their massively-multiplayer real-time strategy game Sovereign. The baby of Brad McQuaid and John Smedley, this game disappeared off the radar following a very poor showing at E3 in 2000. Verant insists it's not dead yet, but much like the Black Knight, it appears to be suffering from quite a bit more than simply a flesh wound. Look for this one to be DOA, if it ever A's.

And what of the massively-multiplayer 10-Six rip-off Planetside? That sucker is still delayed with a release date that continues to be pushed back.

Good thing Verant has that cash cow EverQuest to continue to pour money into their coffers, otherwise they'd have been closed down long ago and Smedley would be out on his ass. Too bad EQ's success couldn't save McQuaid, who has managed to sweet talk Microsoft into a publishing deal for his next massively-multiplayer game.

Anyone in the Beta for this one?

[ 08-26-2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

btw s.c. what is the web link

*edit*

I am disscusing this at the SWG Boards ( i hope you dont mind s.c. i didnt mention this site or your name)

The space flights will come , but that was announced to be released as an expansion and yes there shooting for a dec/feb release date

[ 08-26-2002, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Commander Jamont ]

quote:

Originally posted by Martin Pelletier:

They should call that game Jedi online. I talked to many friends that is interested in SWG will be doing a Jedi.

SWG gonna be full of Jedi's

I thought only a "select fews" could become jedis ... there should not be more than a jedi per, what, 200 people?

Guest Grayfox

actually i think the odds are greater than that. i remember reading an article somewhere that said the jedi will be very very few and far between... like 1 in 400 or 500.

BHG for me

All I know is that if I don't at least have the OPTION to play a jedi, I'm not buying the game...

Not that I so much want to be a jedi, but I want the choice. Personally, I want to be either a bounty hunter; Jawa; or a lowly rebel puke that usually dies when the first AT-AT starts shooting (but i won't die... hehe, long live the red shirts!!!)

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by Akira:

All I know is that if I don't at least have the OPTION to play a jedi, I'm not buying the game...

thats the thing... you have no choice. thats what makes it interesting... either you do or you dont. and im not sure if you are, you will find out right away... might take a week or so... maybe longer. if you do become one, great cause its a rare thing and youre gonna be slingin whupass. if youre not... fall in with the rest of the redshirts

i plan on buying it, mainly because im a fan, and a SW MMORPG just appeals to me...i dont care if im a jedi, or a bounty hunter, or a redshirt... jedis are too mainstream anyway... everyone wants to be one, and the devs said thats NOT how its going to be. now if it turns out to be utter and total crap, ill just rig a charge and blow their studio up

quote:

i plan on buying it, mainly because im a fan, and a SW MMORPG just appeals to me...i dont care if im a jedi, or a bounty hunter, or a redshirt... jedis are too mainstream anyway... everyone wants to be one, and the devs said thats NOT how its going to be. now if it turns out to be utter and total crap, ill just rig a charge and blow their studio up

Just when everything about Jedi is hip, it instantly becomes yesterdays fad.... LOL

Guest Grayfox

lol what i meant was, too many want to be the all powerful bad a$$ jedi... takes the fun out of it. thats why the devs are doing it the way they are.

what i mean by mainstream: kinda like your favorite restraunt... quiet, serene, etc, until some yuppie discovers it and says "wow, i cant wait to call my freinds on my cell, and tell them how radically cool this place is"... next thing you know... its a trendy bar...

TGIFridays is a good example where i live... all the lil cell carrying yups talking to eachother through nextel direct connect when theyre sitting across the restraunt from eachother because they think its "cool"... same with coffee shops...

alrighty then... back on topic

quote:

Ill just park my Star Destroyer on there Roof

Ooops, sorry, no space, no star destroyer. And anyway only the Victory star destroyer (which is pretty much more a frigate than a cruiser that the Imperator is) can go on planets, and only to fly, no landing

Of course, you can always land the "hard way"

• 2 weeks later...

i really dont care if im a jedi or not. theres ways to off a jedi... some just as easy as offing someone NOT imbued with force powers.

everyones got a price... for jedis, mine triples

definitely a bounty hunter... something about hunting a virtual person over an entire galaxy...

admittedly alot different than hunting a real person across the country though

I haven't checked on the status of SWG in a while. The last I did I read that Stormtroopers were out as a valid career option for PCs. I think that kind of turned me off to the game... I'd love to play the evil cannonfodder in white armor, but alas it doesn't look like that will be possible.