The Thing

CommanderJohnson

Guest Grayfox

ok does that mean its any good??? im thinking of getting this one too.

looked interesting, is there a demo out?

ok found out there is no demo, but i read a few reviews and apparently its a sequel to the 80's version of the thing.

looks really good and i am a huge fan of the movie... might pick this one up tonight after work... then go home and play it with the lights off

[ 09-06-2002, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

...ok, I stayed quiet reading the mafia thread, but I have to speak up: You people are such PC gamers... Complaining about lack of quicksaves....

If you can save anywhere, anytime, what's the challenge?

Sorry, it's just my die-hard console gamer side acting up...pay me no mind.

Not to get drawn into this argument yet again (seems to come up every other month), but if I CAN'T save anywhere, where's the fun? Out the window with the game itself I tells ya, when I have to do the same area 50 times over again. On consoles it's fine, but I really expect something a bit more sophisticated from a PC. What's the drawback? Really? I'm seen far more complicated games have a full-fledged save system, so I don't know why the developers slapped The Thing with the system it has. I've heard the "more tense" argument, but, again, what's the point if I'm forced to run through an area over and over again, and just end up getting sick of the game?

Anyways.. it's a decent title, but I didn't find the beta particularly spectacular. It had good enough gameplay elements to keep me interested though, and I've seen worse storylines. Still waiting for the final to arrive...

[ 09-07-2002, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Parias ]

Guest Grayfox

guess no one likes "ironman" gaming anymore...

i tell you the "save anywhere" feature spoiled games nowadays...

used to be a sign of manhood if you can get thru a game without saving... or at least thru an entire level without saving... now people cry that since it doesnt have a save anywhere feature it sucks lol.

now if the gameplay sucks as well... then itll definitely get burnt.

C'mon, more opinions, the full version is out, so is it good or not? What kind of interface does it have? All the ads seem to show cutscenes.

As for the save function, you should be able to save all you want. If the game isn't too hard, you'll forget to save it often and end up having to replay a good portion anyway. If the game is too hard, then you'll keep saving constantly, and you wont get frustrated.

ex. In Baldurs Gate 2 and NOLF, a few times I had to replay a good 20-30 minutes because a series wasn't very hard, but then I hit a hard part. That's fine. In Jedi Knight 2 however, at the part where all the snipers are, I kept getting killed without seeing them. I saved every few seconds there. Without a save, I probably would have quit the game from frustration.

ok got the full version today... im impressed. you gotta see the 80's movie tho to get somewhat of a grasp on whats goin on.

theres hardly any music unless during a scene where you see a mutilated body.

the teammate ai is decent. theyll freak out if they see too many "things" or too many mutilated bodies and blood... then theres the trust issue... some troops when you first meet them dont trust you... you gotta gain their trust by doing certain things. or give a weapon and some ammo to those that somewhat trust you, or take a blood test in front of them, or kill some things in front of them... the interface for doing the trust is kinda complicated, but after awhile its a breeze to master.

you have different classes of teammates... soldier, medic, engineer, soldiers and medics are self explanatory, engineers fix stuff you cant like some complex machinery or complex switch boxes etc... you can do simple repairs.

the atmosphere is pretty damn good... i wigged out a couple of times playing... thats another factor too... the fear factor of your teammates... if they start freaking out too bad, theyll crack up and start shooting at anything including you or another teammate.

then there is the "thing" factor... IE: there is a chance that one or more of your teammates might be infected... the only way to find out is A: do a blood test on em, or B: wait till the thing busts out of their body...thers also a chance that YOU might be the thing as well...

all in all i find it pretty entertaining and exciting... even if the weapon/inventory interface is a bit clunky (default mousewheel moves your wep inventory up and down... press the mouse wheel button and it switches to your item inventory where the wheel moves it up and down).

8.5/10

[ 09-11-2002, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Grayfox ]