Feel Safe Flying

ShoHashi

That's excellent!!

When the pilots are actually armed, THEN I will start flying again. Better yet, when they allow those passengers with Concealed weapons permits to carry on the plane as well, THEN I will fly wherever I go. Instead of all the long distance driving that I have to do now .

bah trains are too expensive and they take longer than driving in some cases.

cheaper to drive.

i just hope my pilot is an expert marksman... cause a bullet going thru the aircraft hull at 30,000 feet... well... my arse would be sucking buttermilk.

i wouldnt want to pack on a flight... too much temptaion to shoot someone acting like an idiot.

quote:

bah trains are too expensive and they take longer than driving in some cases.

Man where do YOU live? trains are WAYY faster, and if that high-speed train plan goes thru, it'll be even better (Toronto-Montr├®al-Quebec city in 2 hours )

Maybe it's just here ...

quote:

i just hope my pilot is an expert marksman... cause a bullet going thru the aircraft hull at 30,000 feet... well... my arse would be sucking buttermilk.

A plane is not like a baloon; because there's a little hole doesn't mean it'll blow out. But it'll suck

quote:

lol. The plane won't decompress (instantly by any means) from a small bullet hole, assuming it actually penetrated the fuselage. Besides, we can always rip a chunk of the dead terrorists nappy hair, wrap it around some brain tissue and make a temporary plug.

I know no one will believe me, but we all have our fear factors completely backwards on this issue. Brutus is correct, a small bullethole or two has a TINY probability of bringing a plane down. Even if you lose an entire window and have very sudden decompression, people will survive this with the aid of the masks. Heart attacks are a bigger immediate problem.

We should all be MUCH MORE AFRAID of the terrorists on the plane killing us than of armed pilots / armed passengers killing us.

When you take a deep breath and think about it, it makes sense. I'd take my chances with pilots or passengers trying to do the right thing any day over trusting the terrorists to bring the plane down safely.

ok if the pilots get into a shootout with the terrs, then whos flying the plane???

id feel much safer with 3 sky marshals on the flight... or with me packing my own "porquito muerte" than i would with the pilots blasting caps down an aisle full of passengers.

now if someone tried forced entry into the cockpit, then i could see the pilots doing that. but if its in the passenger cabin, there should be sky marshals there to take care of it...

hell where do i apply?

gee hold on mister terrorist while i put on the auto pilot so i can get into a shootout with you...

quote:

Man where do YOU live? trains are WAYY faster, and if that high-speed train plan goes thru, it'll be even better (Toronto-Montr├®al-Quebec city in 2 hours )

well thats very nice... im so happy for canada. i happen to live in the US (duh) ive been on a few amtrak rides cross country that have taken 5+ days, when i could have gotten there in 3 1/2 to 4 days driving... if they come up with a cross country high speed train, then im all for it, but until it happens im either flying or driving.

i would just feel more comfortable flying if i knew the pilot and co-pilot knew how to shoot straight is all

[ 09-11-2002, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

ok if the pilots get into a shootout with the terrs, then whos flying the plane???

id feel much safer with 3 sky marshals on the flight... or with me packing my own "porquito muerte" than i would with the pilots blasting caps down an aisle full of passengers.

now if someone tried forced entry into the cockpit, then i could see the pilots doing that. but if its in the passenger cabin, there should be sky marshals there to take care of it...

hell where do i apply?

All you really need is one sky marshal. Terrorist gets up, rushes the cockpit, sky marshal gets up and shoots the terrorist in the back about 10 times. I think every flight today (9/11) had a sky marshal on it.

I have to disagree with letting people with concealed weapon permits to carry guns on planes. Don't need panicing people to shoot the wrong person, or the sky marshals to shoot passangers, etc. Letting the pilots carry guns is a good idea.

well if the mooks work in groups, which they sometimes do, then i think it best to have more than one sky marshal. as for the POF's... thats a gray area that will never happen.

i dont want any pilot with gun on a plane im on. as for bullet holes, u wont die from lack of air, but i dont think anyone wants to get pulled through a small hole

and u all seem to overlook the fact the terrorists arent gonna pull the same stunt again.

ill go hide now, before the flaming starts

The terrorists probably won't pull the same stunt again, but some suicidal moron might, so it's a good idea to make security as tight as possible, just to be safe. Last thing we need is them to be able to pull off the same thing twice. That makes us look week AND incompetent.

As for not letting the pilots have guns, WHY NOT?!?!? They already hold your life in their hands when they fly the plane, and if they want you to die they could probably crash the plane, or open a door and decompress the plane and turn off the oxygen masks, or any number of things. All in all, if the pilot wants you dead, your dead anyway. Why not be SURE that a terrorist can't get into the cockpit, lock himself in, and then kill you. Why not let the pilot shoot the guy?

Also, I don't think that a decompression from a bullet hole would be able to literally suck you through it. Your body is a little bit tougher than jello. Besides, if you fasten your seat-belt like your supposed to, there isn't really much of a danger there. Also, you forget the fact it's better if your plane decompresses and you all die at 30,000 ft than a terrorist takes control and smashes it into the White House.

quote:

Originally posted by Dredd:

The terrorists probably won't pull the same stunt again, but some suicidal moron might, so it's a good idea to make security as tight as possible, just to be safe. Last thing we need is them to be able to pull off the same thing twice. That makes us look week AND incompetent.

tighten your grip to much and stuff slips through, like it has many times, and i dont mind high security, as long as they dont get stupid with it, like the GIJOE incident

quote:

As for not letting the pilots have guns, WHY NOT?!?!? They already hold your life in their hands when they fly the plane, and if they want you to die they could probably crash the plane, or open a door and decompress the plane and turn off the oxygen masks, or any number of things. All in all, if the pilot wants you dead, your dead anyway. Why not be SURE that a terrorist can't get into the cockpit, lock himself in, and then kill you. Why not let the pilot shoot the guy?

at least if the pilot gets crazy theres a copilot to stop him and if not u can try to urself. if he had a gun he could kill the copilot and boom (can i say that word?) the planes highjacked

quote:

Also, I don't think that a decompression from a bullet hole would be able to literally suck you through it. Your body is a little bit tougher than jello. Besides, if you fasten your seat-belt like your supposed to, there isn't really much of a danger there. Also, you forget the fact it's better if your plane decompresses and you all die at 30,000 ft than a terrorist takes control and smashes it into the White House.

no one is so special that they are exempt from death

Oh yeah, "if a pilot goes crazy".

Let me see, when was the last time a pilot went crazy and when was the last time the plane got hijacked and pilots killed?

Look here budy. The pilot is not going to shoot at the terrorist in the aisles. He is going to shoot the terrorist when he tries to ENTER the cockpit. As in when the terrorist is no longer in passenger compartment. So you don't have to worry about your butt getting a bullet in it, after the terrorist gets up and comes towards the cockpit who do you think he is going after? You? He wants to neutralize the pilot and then he has his own goals. You are the last thing on his list.

So I want to be protected and people like you aren't letting that happen. I want to have the right to shoot the guy who is trying to kill me. Not sit there or worse get into a brawl in that tiny cockpit. I want to be able to just turn around and shoot whoever picks through that door, don't even need to aim because a one eyed criple could point a gun at a door that wide and not miss.

And one more thing. Sky marshals WILL shoot at the terrorist while he is in a passenger compartment. So think about that.

Also if the pilots don't have guns and terrorist enters the cockpit and starts brawling with the pilots then we are way at a dissadvantage. You can't even get up, not only are you straped inn at all times, but there's no room to get up, as the only walkway is behind the seats, where the terrorist would be standing, so try fighting someone while you are straped into a chair with limited room move your hands around.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Sky marshals WILL shoot at the terrorist while he is in a passenger compartment.

thats fine. i have all the faith in the world in sky marshals. they are TRAINED for years to be able to use a firearm in the close confines of an aircraft, as well as hand to hand... pilots might MIGHT get a few months with maybe an every 3 or 4 month retrain in firearm usage, unless hes already a gun nut... krekol??? you a pilot?

i would feel safer with sky marshalls, this way i know theres a greater chance of them putting steel on target. unless of course the pilot was packing a sawed off... then he wouldnt have to worry about missing