What was your favorite?

Kevin Trotter

A discussion on another thread got me to thinking , what sci-fi or genre series do you love and wish was back on the air? Post your entries and lets see. I used to be crazy about the Invaders with Roy Thinnes. I also never missed

Gerry Anderson's UFO which absoltely had the coolest theme song you never heard. The immortal with Chris George was pretty cool too. Space 1999

was over my head as a kid and I didn't like that they used to get thier asses kicked all the time cause their tech was so primitive. What do you think?

Yep, good old Knight Rider, where in the movie he gets shot in the face and turns into a completly different actor (Hasselhoff ), ha ha. Yea, that was good. Who remembers street hawk or what ever it was called, about the geezer on the bike. But my all time favorite was the Transformers . Still got the movie on VHS with the voices of Eric Idle, Orson Welles and Leonard Nimoy. That film rocked!

I loved Space 1999, and UFO, wasn't that a british show? that was a kick in the pants, Those fighters with those Big missiles sticking off the front, talk about a Phallic symbol!! LOL

I also liked the ORIGINAL Dr. Who as well, and that crazy british spaceship show, that was NUTS, I laughed so hard, sometimes British humor is a little hard to grasp, but that one was just too good.

I also liked "V", that was a pretty cool concept.

I miss Battlestar Galactica, that was a fun show, and Knightrider, I liked that show a lot too. Wish they would bring it back, but they would SCREW it up BIG time I'm sure.

There are a few others that I can't think of right now, but when I remember I will post them as well.

Yeah, I'm old, so sue me!!

[ 09-24-2002, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

Eh, Jag, you're not that old...I'm only 19, and I remember most of those shows. (As in, I watched them) This was back in the 80's, though...

I want some more B5. I mean, GOOD B5 universe stuff...that don't die after 9 episodes, or one episode-like movie. Pipe dream, I know.

FYI: Someone is making a new Knight Rider game. Here's hoping it's better than the old NES game.

Well... let's see... in no particular order

Dr. Who was awesome. I used to love those Daleks when I was kid

V was also way cool. It actually started out as a concept for a mini series about the French Resistance during WWII, but they decided to take the story and put into a modern setting with aliens instead of nazis.

Buck Rogers was another good one I used to love growing up. If I remember correctly there was two different series... one with Buck on earth in the future, and the other with him on board a ship.... the Searcher or something like that.

Bab 5, of course, is like the king of all Sci-Fi shows in my opinion. I don't think there's much more I need to say about that one.

The British comedy Red Dwarf was good for laughs, though certainly not a serious Sci-Fi show.

Battlestar Galactica rocked... well except for that follow on series... Galactica 1980 or whatever it was called... that was one of the worst disappointments in the history of Sci-Fi programing.

As mentioned in another thread... Space Above and Beyond would be awesome to have back on the air.

I liked Transformers growing up, but I was over a friend's house just this past saturday watching TV and she'd flip to cartoon network during the commercials. They had some Transformers Armada or something like that... it just didn't seem as appealing to me as I remember the original series being.

And on the subject of animation... how about Macross or Robotech? If only I still my tapes of those... oh well... can probably get them on DVD, now.

I think of a bunch of other Sci-FI based cartoons I loved when I was growing up, but can't recall the names of them. Oh well.

What I don't want to see anymore of...

Star Trek spin offs... I'm sorry, not a Trekie, so sue me

Too many of the darn things already.

Oh... doh. Almost forgot, who remembers this ill fated Sci-Fi series that was forever branded as a children's show because of the massive mattel tie in. It was the show that caused children everywhere to shoot at thier TV sets. If anybody ever wondered what J Michael Straczynski was doing before Babylon 5.

quote:

The British comedy Red Dwarf was good for laughs, though certainly not a serious Sci-Fi show.

I probably shouldnt mention this, but I recently had an indepth conversation with the actor who plays the Red Dwarf AI Holly when he called into the office after some Internet Support. Since I recognised his name, I decided to ask him what was going on with all that, and he confirmed that a Red Dwarf Movie is on the cards for production early next year. As a huge fan of the series, im somewhat excited by this development.

Anyway, keep it under your hats, ok? Shhh

quote:

I probably shouldnt mention this, but I recently had an indepth conversation with the actor who plays the Red Dwarf AI Holly when he called into the office after some Internet Support. Since I recognised his name, I decided to ask him what was going on with all that, and he confirmed that a Red Dwarf Movie is on the cards for production early next year. As a huge fan of the series, im somewhat excited by this development.

Thanks for the info, though of course I'll do my best to forgot that I heard it

hmmm space above and beyond was definitely my favorite, live action...right next to TOS of Star Trek.

battle star galactica was also a fav of mine... and anyone remember automan??? there was also another one i liked... cant remember the name of it... starred that aussie actor that did those energizer commercials (oi!)...

V was another...as well as the flash...

as for animation, robotech definitely... have all 3 series on disc, transformers was a definite second along with he-man (i had all the figures).

they are doing a redone masters of the universe on cartoon network, and my kid loves it... must be in the blood...

Robotech was great...until I watched it(well, it's first season, anyway) in it's true form, Macross. It's hard to watch Robotech anymore because of that.

Ah, anyone remember Bravestar? Voltron? Heck, even Saber Rider? Yike, they reeked of toys.

Transformers was THE best cartoon I ever saw. The anime Transformers I've seen don't hold a candle to it, though it is nice to see Optimus Prime modernly rendered.

[ 09-24-2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: XenoZohar ]

quote:

Robotech was great...until I watched it(well, it's first season, anyway) in it's true form, Macross. It's hard to watch Robotech anymore because of that.

Yeah... Macross is much cooler. Really it's the other series that they used to make Robotech that ruin it... especially the one they used for the Southern Cross portion... it totally blew IMNHO. I've actually yet to see many of the episodes of the real Macross series sequels, besides Macross Plus. Oh... and Macross II, but that movie isn't really a part of the Macross, anyways... it's just crap with the Macross name tacked on. Maybe someday I'll find a chance to watch them.

quote:

Ah, anyone remember Bravestar? Voltron? Heck, even Saber Rider?

Oooh! Voltron! How could I miss that one. Though I'm afraid I probably won't be able to watch that anymore, since thier color coded uniforms, and animalistic combining robots would just remind me too much of Power Rangers and cause me to vommit.

Thundercats. Superfriends. Space ghost a little bit. Bugs Bunny.

There was one that came on with Space Ghost. Had a blonde Tarzan like dude, a rock ape, a blob that could be anything, some rhino looking things. That's old.

Then the one where an asteroid passed between the earth and the moon, ripping the moon in half, destroying civilization, but magic worked again. Was that Thundarr the Barbarian?

Live actor shows. Another where the civilization was destroyed and doctors or something drove around in this huge white laboratory. Space 1999 where the moon broke out of orbit. hehe.

The only network with decent cartoons, if any at all, is fox. Pokemon stinks but Yugi-oh is sorta ok. X-Men rule. Wish I could see the spidey cartoons again.

That would be the Herculoids from the Hanna Barbera juggernaut of the early to mid sixties. Pretty cool. They also had some other intersting choices. Super President was about you guessed it the President of the US who was also a superhero,

Mighty Mightor a prehistoric superhero , Birdman by far the corniest superhero ever and my personal favorite The Original Jonny Quest with another cool theme song. Each episode was like a movie with cool gadgets , great locals and creepy supervillians.

Of Course they had to ruin it by introducing two new versions ,each inferior to the first one.

quote:

quote:

Star Trek spin offs... I'm sorry, not a Trekie, so sue me

don't be silly, everyone is a trekkie..you just don't know it!

I don't know... Star Trek never really hit the spot for me. The original series was alright when I was growing up, but I never really got into it... I think the world of Star Trek has never really had a gritty enough feeling to it for my taste.

And speaking of series with cheesy effects, what's that one that Sci-Fi plays... Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea... oh and Seaquest DSV, which in many ways seems like a modernized version of the former. Not my favorite shows, but they were good to watch when they both used to be on in the mornings back to back on Sci-Fi.

The first season or two of seaquest was cool, but then it seemed to go downhill...

Favorite sci-fi shows, in some semblence of order:

Babylon 5

Farscape

Space above and Beyond

Stargate SG-1

Andromeda

First 4 seasons of Sliders (all 6 of these are about equal)

Earth: Final Conflict

Star Trek Series (all of em) (these 2 right below the above 6)

Seaquest was OK

I think that covers em all. I like sci-fi shows.