Steel Battalion - Who's Feeling Lucky Today?

Parias

Today's the big day. I'm going to barely hold off untill 10:30 AM, then I'll begin constantly calling the local EB repeatedly untill their answer is something other than "Not in yet, try back later". Acceptable answers would be "yes, it's in, come on down", "should be here within the next hour", and "shut the hell up and stop calling me every 5 minutes". So, who else is getting theirs today?

Confused parties: Look here. And here. People with girlfriends need not apply

Now THAT'S total immersion.

Oh Derek, make sure BCO or some other BC game support a controller like that .. or somethin similar. My dream control set has ALWAYS been double joystick with center control panel and pedals.

I read somewhere if you didn't flipped a switch before eject, you pilot would die and your savegame would be erased. Talk about hard-core

quote:

Pre ordered awhile ago after reading about it in XBox mag. If mine isnt there you might not hear from me in the forums for awhile. Something about

assault and battery.....

And let me guess, if it is there we might not hear from you for a while either

Penny-arcade gives it's impressions today

A few snippets :

Looks

quote:

It looks like a video feed from some place in the world where huge machines do all the fighting.

Immersion

quote:

if your Vertical Tank goes down, you'd better get the [bleep] out of that mech if you don't want to die and lose your save game. That shit will put the fear of God in you. The game is not safe, it does not feel safe to play it, and it deliberately creates tension throughout.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grayfox

ummm ok... so its another mech game... if i had that cool a$$ console setup i might have a bit more zeal about it, that thing is probably worth the money.

Woot!!!!

So you PC people want a setup like that? Some simple steps......

1. Get good at electronic technical stuff. (Just the soddering and what DPDT Switches are.)

2. Buy an EPIC interface card.

3. Buy lots of buttons and switches and other things.

4. Build build build build build

5. Enjoy. ^_^

Look up home built cockpits for some wacky setups. When I had money I SERIOUSLY considered making one for BCM...... but alas, money is fickle. *sigh*

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Holy Jesus, that controller is worth the price of admission alone.

If only they made that for a PC, I would risk life and limb against my wife to squeeze that into my hardware budget. Maybe that is a good thing that it is Xbox exclusive.

If I ever had a reason to purchase an Xbox, this comes pretty darn close.

[ 12-17-2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]

Guest Fox__Trot

whys a 200 dollar controller reason to buy an xbox ill just wait for mech 5 and enjoy it more then i would spending 500 on an x-box the game and such serriously

I never said I was buying one. I am not into Console gaming, period. I do like that controller though. I do hope that thing comes out for a PC that would be cool.

Think about this for a minute. PC gaming and Mech type games have been around forever. Why does something so unique as this comes out for a Console first? It is just not fair.

With the execption of Derek Smart and Devs like him, I'm starting to wonder if console gaming is actually killing PC gaming. This is because most games now are made for the underpowered Console first, and then ported to the more powerful PC later. History has showed us that PC ports to consoles almost alwasy resemble a shell of the Original PC game due to the limits of the console.

With the Xbox being a hybrid computer, Microsoft is not doing us PC gamers any favors. Xbox is only flooding the gamming channel with punny Pentium 3s, when PC gaming rigs are well beyond the 1ghz level nowadays.

Derek, I'm hoping that BCG and beyond become trend setters, and help break this vicious cycle.

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

whys a 200 dollar controller reason to buy an xbox ill just wait for mech 5 and enjoy it more then i would spending 500 on an x-box the game and such serriously

Well, you certainly can't find maneuvers like this in any other Mech game.