This DVD will self destruct in 36 hours

Raven

DVDs that self-destruct

I'm not sure what to think myself, I'm somewhere between disgust and trying to come up with something remotely marketable. Maybe another renting DVDs over the internet affair: pay a few dollars and get a self destructing DVD. On the other hand, it seams like self destructing DVDs would be more expensive then regular DVDs, so I'm not sure how marketable that kind of thing is.

On the other hand, Spectra Systems and Flexplay could be owned by those deranged CEOs that Lotharr is always going on about, or even worse, mission impossible freaks.

If they were truly erased, I could see a practical purpose for them with Public/Key Encryption in groups. You could backup securely your entire Public/Secret Keyring on a 2-hour disk (encrypted, of course,) and send it to someone without worrying about it being intercepted. If the package is opened, the disk would have nothing on it when they got it. But I question how well the NSA could be kept out of the loop...

Actually, that would be for any data you had no intention of letting be available for more than a couple of hours, to include sensitive backups...

[ 11-26-2002, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: DraconisRex ]

quote:

Discs using Flexplay's technology were used in a recent James Bond promotion sent to reporters. The disc contained scenes from the pre-release film. Once the DVDs were removed from their packaging, the DVD would effectively self-destruct in 36 hours.

Sounds like the problem with pre-release music leaks. Some companies have turned to an alternative of sending a superglued Walkman to the journalists recieving the CD, which would have to be returned, with the CD inside, and checked for damages. It'd deter some pirates, and in a worst-case scenario, they'd also probably hardwire the headphones to the player, too.

My opinion of htis is that it's good for pre-release things going out to the newsmedia. Pirating costs consumers a ton, and that's at least a little effort that they're putting into protection. With that aside, there isn't much of any good mainstream practical use I see at the moment.

I can see a person receiving that type of media now:

"OK, 36 hours before the media self-destructs...

now I only have 36 hours minus to copy the darn thing..."

I'm sure it'll have its uses for some people/companies, but as far a public use goes, I don't see a market at all.

That is, unless they plan on selling them in practical joke shops... hehe..

[ 11-26-2002, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Fractux ]