laptop gaming

Cruis.In

hey there. For sometime now I have lamented sitting behind my PC in a chair in the same room to do whatever, play games, use the internet etc...

I've had the brainstorm to buy a laptop, so I can use a computer in more comfortable places. Like my bed for one.

So I decide that as long as I am buying the laptop, I could as well strive for the semi latest/greatest stuff because I'd want to play games on it when I'm away from the desktop or just away.

Suffice to say that no matter my doubts I went ahead and ordered.

What I am wondering from anyone here is

1) if they use there laptop to play games on and if so,

2) if they use it exclusively and leave out the desktop, and if gaming is or can be as fun on a laptop as compared to the desktop.

I mean the keyboard is small...the screen is small and there could never be as good sound as if you have a subwoofer...but like I said, I decided that at somepoint I might play or like to play on it so I chose to go for good hardware rather than older hardware for a cheaper price.

these are the specs in brief...

15" sxga+ 2.0ghz P4

512DDR ram

64 ati radeon 9000 (mobility)

40gb hd

Well, I don't have working laptop at the moment, mine broke down after a very long career of being unreliable) and I didn't get it fixed at the time simply because I didn't need a laptop. However, I had it for a good while as my only computer, and it worked swimmingly for everything (including playing games while laying in bed, a distinctly fun activity). Unfortunately it didn't have a lot of staying power, laptops are harder to upgrade and doing so costs a lot more, so by the time I got myself a desktop (after having my laptop for about a year) some of the new games werenÔÇÖt playing all that well.

Looking at the specs for your system I doubt you will have any problems. My desktop is only a little bit better then that (though it's also a year old) and it still runs everything swimmingly (and will continue to do so for a while I imagine, even if I don't upgrade).

I tried playing Soul Reaver 1 on a laptop... That's the extent of my laptop gaming, but IMO, keyboard's just too compressed, and unless you got a mouse to attach to it, control is likely going to be a b**** until you get used to it.

While I'm sure there are people out there who like gaming laptops, I do not believe that it's truly feasable.

quote:

While I'm sure there are people out there who like gaming laptops, I do not believe that it's truly feasable.

It's very feasable, I use my laptop for gaming a lot and in many ways it is more powerful than my desktop PC. It's a Dell Inspiron (P4 1.6Ghz, 512MB DDR-RAM, 64MB Geforce 4 Go) and the keyboard is very comfortable to use (I have big fingers too) - the keys are the same size as the keys on a desktop keyboard, only flat. I do keep an optical mouse in the carry case and plug that in whenever I want to game though as the built in pointing devices are not suitable for UT2003

[ 12-01-2002, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Elenkis ]

pardon my ignorance but what is an optical mouse...one without a wire?

quote:

including playing games while laying in bed, a distinctly fun activity

ah thanks D.Lady I hoped someone would say so

Elenkis it just so happens mine is an Inspiron 8200, the only difference between us it seems is the geforce and ATI...

I'm interested to know how it runs overall and what if any problems you ever encountered operating it.

The keyboard isn't too small, there are very few games which require an extended keyboard, and the trackpad is easily as good as a mouse after a little while of getting used to it. I used to play unreal and unreal tournament on my laptop all the time and I never even bothered getting a mouse of any kind for it. In some ways I liked it more then a conventional mouse as it never gets sticky or any of that nonsense (though that is much less a problem with optical mice).

Now, Cruis.In, optical mice are what some (irritating) people call laser mice. They don't have laser, or anything of the kind, but because they are lit with red people seam to think this means a laser. Go figure. Anyway, they do have a small optical sensor in them that takes pictures of the surface you're sliding your mouse over and compares it with the last picture, thereby determining how fast, and in which direction, you're moving the mouse. They don't get sticky (at least not like old-style ball mice would), they can be used on almost any surface, and they glow red, which looks cool.

Hey hey,

I own an IBM Thinkpad, bought from a friend - it's a Celeron 500, 64MB RAM, 5GB HD and has a 4MB video card - NOT, unfortunately, a 3D accelerator. Running Windows 98.

I play games on it every night - it runs quite nicely. I have a TON of older games on there (classics like Star Control II, some Ultimas, etc) but I currently play Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood, Stronghold, Heroes of Might & Magic 4 and Starships Unlimited on it without a hitch. Counterstrike runs quite nicely in software mode too, for that matter.

I play with a mouse and the keyboard and find them to be just fine - I've never found the keyboard to be at all cramped, though the layout takes some getting used to. If it is a problem, you can always plug in a standard keyboard using USB. The screen is also a perfectly accetable size, despite being what, 12 inches wide? It only runs at a maximum of 800x600 resolutio, but considering the weak CPU that's all it can handle anyway. Also, you can plug the laptop in to your regular monitor - not recommended for bedtime though.

For the record, my desktop is a P3-800, 256MB RAM with a Radeon 8500 128MB card. I have no trouble whatsoever running today's games and frequently do - I just find playing strategy games in bed a hoot, and find classic games more to my taste lately. I reserve my desktop for first person shooters and modern racers. And BCM

My advice to you regarding laptops: Definetly get something with a 3D accelerator (even if it's a cheap one like ATI's old Rage Mobility), definetly get something that can support 1024x768 and do yourself a favour - get a floppy drive. If you intend to install alternative operating systems like Linux, OR you want to play an older game and need to use a boot disk, they will make your life SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier. Be sure to get a network card built in - they pretty much all do. Don't worry about the quality of the speakers - they will sound like utter crap no matter what you do, and you don't want to disturb anyone who might be in bed with you so you'll use headphones anyway

Cheers man, hope this was helpful.

yup helpful. I got the new ATI 9000 mobility, so I'm good there.

I looked at the Alienware area51m...nice specs on em. I might just buy an optical mouse, as long as that sensor stays true....i would hate after a while the mouse pointer goes to a delayed reaction.

I even have harmon kardon speakers with volume controls here prolly they can plug in and sound a little better.

quote:

They don't get sticky (at least not like old-style ball mice would), they can be used on almost any surface, and they glow red, which looks cool.

Gave one to a friend two years ago for her birthday and she loves it. Not one problem with it. Our main thing was that dog hairs kept getting rolled up inside and messing the sensors up.