I am a gaming Misfit.

Oberst_Sloan

I frequent MANY game sites on the internet, and I believe that I am a hard-core gamer. However, it has recently come to my attention that I am a "gaming misfit".

Why?

Because my two favorite games are BattleCruiser Millenium and World War II Online. Both of which seem to be "black sheep" amongst the "mainstream" gaming community.

World War II Online is reviled by many because of it (admitably) horrible launch. So many people hate this game that it is nearly impossible to have a rational discussion about it on nearly any board on the internet. Which is sad, because CRS (the company that created the game) has fixed the game many times over since the launch and it is 100% better now.

BattleCruiser Millenium is reviled on many board because of our illustrious Supreme Commander. His history makes it impossible to talk about BCM on any of the aforementioned boards anywhere on the net. This is sad as well, because Derek is totally opposite of what many make him out to be. My small time on this board as made me realize that. Yes, he can be abrasive at times, but it is all for a reason. This is the ONLY board that I know of where I can come to and find an answer for any problem in the game quickly and with little difficulty. Why? Because he polices this board like it SHOULD be policed. And I thank him for it.

But you know what? I think there is other reasons why mainstream gamers dislike BCM and WWIIOL. It takes SMARTS to play both games. Both games are not for the faint of heart, and both require thought to play and enjoy. Something that most people do NOT have. To most people BCM is much to involved. I mean why learn BCM when you can play Freespace without thinking. Same with WWIIOL. Why play it, when you can play another glorfied Quake MOD like Battlefield 1942?

It is sad really, because of most peoples pre-concieved notions coupled with the fact that most people like to think as little as possible, these "mainstream" gamers are missing out on two GREAT games.

Oh, well. I think I will remain a misfit. How about you?

Hmm ... I enjoy BCM, jumpgate, both which are niche games. Aces High and America's army are less as niche games, but, thank god, they aren't main stream games (not too many fagg0rs in AAO).

I suppose i could enjoy WWIIOL - but I will only pay for 1 mmog .. I'd be a fighter pilot I suppose. Flying typhoons, p47s and p51s ... hmm nice.

One of the part I enjoy most with jumpgate is how they put "normal" event into galactic news. Take this for example, when the solrain and octavius space servers went down ...

Or .. this (Tell me if you get it)

You're not a misfit. you're part of the elite.

So true.

I'm basically the same music-wise. I usually listen to alternative-styles, which is really popular and when something/someone gets too popular, and starts getting hated, a la Avril Lavigne or Linkin Park, I'll still stick with it. Since what I listen to originates in obscurity, it doesn't bother me that they go back to relative obscurity.

"Mainstream" was always a term that, to me, brought around trouble. No matter what the medium, there's always someone who likes it, I guess. What's "alternative" or "popular" for one group may be the opposite for another. The anti-BC people (I didn't say mainstream) just haven't seen the true light of the game, that's all. I figure that smarter gamers, like RPGers or whatnot, that'll find some kind of joy in sci-fi would like the game. That's hte kinda gamer I've ended up being time and time again, and I think an intelligent, open-ended game like BCM would fit to crowds like that.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Or ..
(Tell me if you get it)

LOL:

quote:

Named for it's first known victim - Krannic Wynar, a TRI test pilot from the earliest days of the Beta Intiative -- Wynar's Syndrome produces a peculiar brain-chemical imbalance in those who contract it. Pilots suffering from Wynar's Syndrome (more commonly referred to as "WS") display an aberrant psychology characterized by a chronic and persistent irritability, coupled with an ever-increasing sense of persecution and paranoia.

Pilots afflicted with WS typically rail against TRI and their own place in it.

[...]

Those who have contracted Wynar's Syndrome seem to reserve their greatest hatred for anything released by the Office for the Promotion of Advanced Technological Systems (or the "PATchS Office", as it is known in military parlance).

you mean his mis-conceived history.

this is a cyber world...do people want someone to hold their hand and pat them and say everything is gonna be alright?

the general public is ignorant, same with the the general internet public.

I played WW2OL and i havent played it in a while. It was so sad. Kinda fun. But... Your kinda... Not able to... LEAVE THE VEHICLE YOU ARE DRIVING. COME ON! I dont want to have to kill my self to go to a screen and come back as something else after getting a truck. I wanna drive my truck then get out and blast everyone with my rifle.

ALSO!!!! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND!!! Who are we fighting NPCs or real people? I cant tell.

If the part about not being able to exit vehicles has been fixed. And you now are able to exit vehicles. PLEASE TELL ME!!! (i need to renew my subscription if its fixed)

[ 12-03-2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: TheBunny ]