How NOT to water cool your PC

Supreme Cmdr

yeah thee guy was joking, look on the last page and there's a link to another thread where he revels about his fame.

Internet fame having to do with stupidity? Yeah, I'd be pround too... yeah... I'm such a famous dumbass... yeah.. wOOt..

[this is not out of jealousy. I know I'm already a dumbass. And I don't need the world to tell me ]

[ 12-05-2002, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Fractux ]

Dear god ... I've got sperm with more sense than that guy. Thank god he's in Ireland and not on the mainland - I'd be compelled to drive to his house and beat him to death with a fire hose.

This is an 'Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman' joke come to life. Lord save us ...

... just a joke huh? Lets hope so. Fo all our sakes.

[ 12-05-2002, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Blades ]

If only it was true.

It would have beaten the one we had once. Someone who claimed to be a professional system builder bought parts from our shop. We did ask if he would like us to assemble it for him but he insisted that he knew what he was doing. Because he brought a high powered system we also sold him some extra fans.

Anyway a couple of days past and we get a phone call from him. He said that the parts he brought from us didn't work and he said he wanted a refund so we asked him to come in with the system so we could check it.

He brings it in and we inspect it. Before switching it on we thought we'll have a look at how he built it. Well, to start with he put the ide cables on the Hdd and CD ROMS the wrong way round. Don't ask me how he done it but he must have noticed something was wrong when he must have had to use a hammer to push them in. Not only that, he put the CPU fan on the north bridge chip and NOT the CPU but the best was where he placed the extra fan we gave him. He taped it to the bottom of the case! We then also realized why the computer woundn't work. He screwed the motherboard directly to the back plate without using the seperaters! He must have shorted the whole thing!

Holding back the laughter we went out to tell him what he done to which his answer was, thats how he always built computers and where he put the fan was recomemded to him by a friend. We asked if the other computers he had built still worked. He said they did but that they don't work now which was why he was buying a new one.(we never bothered asking how the others worked!)

After a while we confinced him that what he done was wrong. He then asked if he could have a refund. We said NO, but he continued to aurgue that all parts come with 12 months warrenty. We said, all parts come with 12 months warrenty when they either don't work from unwapping or they they go faulty when properly installed within that time. We said that we didn't think the manufactuers would except refunding due the fact that the motherboard was screwed directly to the back plate, the CPU fan not even attached to the CPU and that the ide cables where forced in the wrong way round on the HDD and CD ROM which in turn had damaged the back of these drives!

He wouldn't except this so to explain it better to him my friend picked up a cup and said imagine this is a computer that I just bought. He dropped it and it broke. He said, There I broke it, can't get a refund on it! He still wouldn't except this and left saying he was calling his solicitor. We said fine.

Few days later he came in to take back the computer that was still in our workshop and left saying nothing. That was the last we heard from him.

[ 12-06-2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: LBM ]

LBM,

I have a similar story.

The kid 2 doors down from my old house in Oregon decided that he knew enough to build his own computer. He talked his Dad into buying him the parts and he would put it together.

2 days later the kid comes over to my house, all upset that his new top of the line computer was not working. I am a play computer geek type, I know what I'm doing, but I am not a pro. My freind Mike IS a pro, and he was over for the weekend with his wife. I told the kid to bring the computer over and we would take a look at it.

He brings it over, the mother board is screwed directly to the backplate, The IDE cable were indeed in backwards, and the CPU was not plugged in all the way because he tried to put it in opposite. The memory chips were not seated properly and the daughter boards did not fit in the case correctly, because of course the mother board was not spacered as it should have been, he bent the hell out of the holders in order to get them to go high enough to tighten down.

IT WAS A MESS, we made him take the mother board back, they would NOT give him a new one, so he had to buy one, then Mike and I spent 2 hours going over it step by step with him. Expensive lesson, but the kid learned. He does excellent work now!! LOL

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

LOL

It's people like that, that make tech support that little more interesting.

It's people like that who make me wanna get my ass out of the industry altogether and become a postman.

I hate end users.

quote:

Originally posted by Blades:

quote:

LOL

It's people like that who make me wanna get my ass out of the industry altogether and become a postman.

I hate end users.

LOL

quote:

Originally posted by Blades:

quote:

LOL

I hate end users.

Postal workers all around the world gets attacked by hungry dogs and angry uni students that gets woken up early in the morning (before 11.00 am) on Saturdays. Do you really want that?

Last year was the first time I built a PC. Researched everything up and down. Build went smooth, but I still had to tweak the setup some. My rig is running fine. I have since built 4 machines after that. My last one was delievered to the customer in March. This has become my PC from hell. Within the first 2 weeks, the Power Supply went. Replaced that, and now the burner has screwed Firmware. It worked when I changed the Power Supply, don't know why it don't now???

Well, his PC that he built died, and has been using his Mom's, the one I built.

I got a call from him the night he decided to install XP Pro on it. He couldn't get the Soundcard drivers to load or USB ports operational. Bear in mind, this is a Via Chipset here. My first question to him was, "Did you install the most up to date 4n1's??? His response, "What are those???" I was a little suprised by this because his PC was also a Via based Athlon board. I explained to him that they were the MB drivers. He told me he never installs those. I informed him that with todays MBs, the drivers are mandatory. Everything worked fine after they were installed. Go figure!

[ 12-06-2002, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]