Compassionate Conservatism: The Trent Lott Flap

Kevin Trotter

I guess SOME and I do stress SOME conservatives feel so confortable now that the they can say what's really on thier minds. Majority leader Sen. Trent Lott was recently quoted as saying that if then Dixiecrat Strom Thurmond had been elected president in 1948 instead of Truman(responsible for desegregating the US armed forces-my reference not thiers)" all these problems" would have been avoided.

Lott later apologized but would not elaborate on what he meant by" all these problems" , but since Thurman's central campaign issue were segregation and racial integrety one can only hazzard a guess.

AL Gore as called the remarks "racist" and I have a hard time disagreeing though I would not be comfortable calling Lott a racist. I am sure that I was deeply offended by the remark and it's implications. Some have called for Lott to resign but again this is unlikely to happen and a bit premature. It does however , not portend well for people of color looking for compassionate conservatism from the GOP if thier leader could let slip such an inflamatory remark

I too have problems with his statement, and feel that, at the very least, he should step down as Republican Majority Leader. It is clearly time for a new Republican to take the reigns in the Senate.

Doesn't anybody take a public office position seriously anymore (Thanks Bill!!!)???

I can't believe some people are so stupid with their words. Whatever did he mean by those comments if it wasn't the obvious???

'nuff said.

[ 12-10-2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]

Basically what he meant was the all the welfare new deal crap. This stuff would NOT have happened if he had been elected.

This is what he meant, but it was still a MORONIC thing to say.

I believe he should step down as Majority leader and let someone with some brains and Cahunas step up and do the job.

I don't see why it's such a big deal... yeah it was a stupid thing to say - but look at Lott's voting record and he hasn't supported anything remotely considered 'racist'. It's just an excuse for Democrats to undermine the new Majority leader and try to politically benefit. Just like they tried to politically benefit from the deaths of 3000 people on 9/11. It's sickening, and I heard Jesse Jackson sounding like a damn loon howling at some guy who was using common sense to defend Lott.

What about Senator Byrds KKK past? Don't see it brought up anywhere... maybe because he's a Democrat?

I agree with you, he should not resign because of this. BUT, he should resign anyway.

If it weren't for him being so lilylivered, we would NOT have lost control of the Senate when Jumping Jim Jeffords went Indy, why? Because the Democrats didn't do it when they lost it a few years back.

Lott is a whimp, he should be tossed out on his little lily livered butt and someone with cahunas that KNOWS how to run a MAJORITY party should take his place.

Lott still acts like we are the minority and have to give up to the Dems. He should be tossed and another put in his place.

THe man's a LOSER, with a capital L-O-S-E-R.

Well $ilk why am I not suprised you don't think it's a big deal? I think I know when to be offended and when to worry as a person of color and don't have someone co-sign those feelings.

What the man said was indefensible no matter how you try to clean it up.

As for the Democrats I actually agree with you and am pissed off cause they really don't give a rat's ass about the statement and it's implication. That they would jump on the bandwagon to overly politicize the issue is gutless. Maybe Lott should step down cause the curtain is pulled back on what he feels in his heart and no amount of posturing is going to change that.

No one black or white that harbors THOSE kinds of beleifs should lead thier party period. I wouldn't support Byrd as majority leader either.

I don't think anybody I've dialogued with is a racist on this site , but it is safe to say there are those here with greater and lesser degrees of sensitivity when it comes to race and your statement has me wondering where you are on that scale.

Well darling, what can I say; I don't see how it's that big of a deal. If indeed he hasn't supported any racist policies then a slip of the tongue like that (which could still mean a couple of different things) shouldn't be held against him. If he is indeed racist, which seems unlikely, then I would say that it doesn't matter so long as his policies are not racist. It's not what he feels that matters, it's what he does. Everyone has there own prejudices (myself being no exception) and they are often hard to get rid of, but if you can operate fairly in spite of them I don't see a problem.

Now, admittedly I couldn't care less about racism, I'm not racist myself, but it isn't something that means much to me one way or the other (what's that old line about "I'm not racist, I despise everyone equally"). To be fair I'm not a big proponent of women's equality either, those of us who can manage will do just fine and I don't have any compassion for those who can't.

Race, I'm not surprised at your response either. In the past you've shown an overly thin skin when it comes to anything even remotely related to racial issues.

What does that say about you? I'm not preoccupied with race, and no I don't jump on the bandwagon to 'vote to make the white race stronger'. Race doesn't factor with me as a decision. I could care less if you are black white yellow brown orange purple or turquoise.

I look at people's beliefs and voting records, and quite frankly an opinion of someone commenting on something that happened 60 Freaking Years Ago doesn't matter one way or the other to me.

Especially when the point of the comment was simply to be nice to an old man, who even though he held objectionable views in the past - is a fine upstanding American citizen today.

Racial stress - real or imagined - will always exist as long as there are people like you. Leave racism and marches and other stuff where it belongs - in the 60's when it was won.

Everyone today - Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton etc. are neo-Civil Rights Activists who are only seeking to profit from continued racial strife. Trent Lott isn't a racist - although Jag has a point that he doesn't have big enough cahunas - so you shouldn't judge him by a remark meant to make an old man feel good on his 100th birthday.

Strom Thurmond upheld ideals by not taking pay raises, and fighting FOR America.

This entire flap is being used to paint conservatives as overt, slack jawed racists bent on returning us to a pre Civil Rights America - which is NEVER going to happen.

They wrote a book and web site about these sorts of "open mouth - insert foot" moments.

http://americansbehavingbadly.com/

psst.... it's Cahones......

$ilk, well Lott he believes that desegregation caused problems, shouldn't that factor into your opinons? And that article says that Thurmond embraced desegregation after it became popular. Rather interesting way to win votes if you ask me.

quote:

Buchanan's latest book is here!

"The Death of the West" is an eye-opening expos├® of how immigration invasions are endangering America. Both autographed and unautographed copies are now available at WorldNetDaily's online store!

Interesting how a country almost entirely populated by immigrants and their decendants could be threatened by them...... I do remember a KKK poster reading "America for Americans"

On to more pertinent subjects... the statement was about something that happened a long time ago. More than a few people have thrown around the theory of keeping the different ethnic groups seperate. It's something I don't agree with since a global economy, fast becoming a reality, does not have room for such policies.

More than a few people have decided to trounce on Mr. Lott because of his remarks. It is not the remarks that people seem to be trouncing on, but what those remarks represent. Perhaps this country has become a little too race sensitive. Some even argue that the scale has not only leveled but is going back in the other direction. It's easy for us to say "There's no problem, I don't see it," when our ethnicity is not of that group in question. Try walking in their shoes for a few miles. Be a male college athlete who can't get a wrestling scholarship, even though he's #1 or 2 in his state, because of Article IX, when a totally inexperienced female who decided to take up rowing can get a full ride scholarship, and then tell me there is no problem. Or a white student who was rejected from a college when an african student with lower test scores was admited.

Some have expressed apathy at the whole situation. At what point will people take notice? If you don't stand up for THEM now, who is going to be left to stand up for YOU?

My two rupees.

quote:

$ilk, well Lott he believes that desegregation caused problems, shouldn't that factor into your opinons? And that article says that Thurmond embraced desegregation after it became popular. Rather interesting way to win votes if you ask me.

You say that Lott believe that desegregation caused problems - when he's already explained that that's not his belief. His comments were being nice to someone who had a 100th birthday, and he wanted to say something nice. Remembering that he had run for president, he half-assed did his research on it (remember, Lott was 7 years old when Thurmond ran) and said that "Hey, my own state of Mississippi voted for you, so maybe you should've won because your record since I've known you has been very good to America".

Lott wasn't embracing segregation in any way shape or form except by stretching his approval of Thurmond to mean his entire ideological viewpoint which is ludicrous.

I can think of some Democrats that I approve of, which doesn't mean I support every piece of legislation that they've tried.

Sen Lieberman for instance, I approve of him - even though he is Pro-Abortion, Less-State's rights, etc. Doesn't mean I'm automatically a BABY KILLER because I said I approve of Lieberman.

And if I recall - THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY WAS SEGREGATIONIST UNTIL IT BECAME UNPOPULAR why not look at the voting record of southern states during that time period. The entire map is BLUE down south, and not Red Republican.

Many of those segregationists still serve - in the Democratic party.

The whole flap over Lott seems, to me, to be a media created frenzy that is supported by Liberal political interests.

The media doesn't seem to focus on Lott's apology or the CONTEXT of his statement, but just that he said that if Thurmond was elected before, a lot of the problems we have now would not have existed. Ok, it was his 100th BIRTHDAY. Lott made a POSITIVE/SUPPORTIVE comment about Thurmond's political career. He thought that Thurmond's election would have been beneficial to the country, and he said it without analyzing all of Thurmond's past political convictions. The comment wasn't planned, and if anything, Lott was probably thinking that if Thurmond, with the beliefs he holds NOW (at his 100th BIRTHDAY) was elected to power, the country would be better.

Lott NEVER said in his speech that he supports segregation, and his clarification that his speech was NOT in support of segregation should be ENOUGH. Instead people take Lott's comments, analyze them to the point of "well, Thurmond believed this and ran on this platform, thus Lott must be supporting everything Thurmond believed". The initial logic isn't sound (that if someone believes something or runs on a platform, and then you support them, that you automatically believe in and support EVERYTHING that person says), and then the liklihood of it even crossing Lott's mind that Thurmond was racist in his political platform (which is really unlikely since Thurmond STOPPED being racist, thus it's doubtful Lott would hold a grudge and keep Thurmond, on his 100th birthday, marked with the label of "segregationalist") makes it insane to believe Lott should be removed because of his comments or the backlash from them. Sure, Jaguar's objections to Lott because of his concessions to the democrats may be true, but Lott's statements at a friend's BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION shouldn't have anything to do with it.

$ilk is right about me being thinskinned about racial issues. Being subjected to varying degrees of prejudice daily for 40 years or so will do that to you. And $ilk I wish to God it was all over in the 60's like you seem to imply but it aint so.

I'll be the first to admit much progress as been made , but I'll be damined if you think I'm going to sit still while you blame the contiued existence of racism on people who have the nerve to address it. (like Me). The problem is as a white person you will never be able to understand what it is like to be black in this country. I beleive you when you say you are not driven by race , but by politics. However you have the luxury of doing so cause you are the majority. I never meant to imply you were anything but insensitive. My wife accuses me of being insensitive in the regards of women's issues and I think she might be right. How would it sound for me to say women and men are treated equally in this country having never had to live as a woman?

As far as Sen.Lott his implication is pretty clear and according to Time mag. this was not the first time he has made statements like this. As recently as 1990 he has spoken before known White supremisist groups and attempted to backtrack later,stating he was unaware of what the group's philosophy was. This was not a 'slip" or a mistatement as he would have us belive. Sen. Lott said what was in his heart and no backpedalling or scripted apologies will change my mind.

Pres. Bush , whom I have many problems with , is not tolerant of this and it does not reflect his view of the GOP. He has placed minorities in key positions in his administration and comes from a family that has been pro-civil rights(Bush senior led an NAACP group in college) for years. The same can not be said for Mr. Lott , and if the Democrats are using this a political leverage I say turnabout is fair play.

The bottom line is any fool who wants to continue to support someone dumb enough to say what Lott said is free to do so. The GOP is making great strides to be racially inclusive and we will see just how committed they are through this fiasco.

Last night on BET Sen. Lott attempted to apologise again. Worse he spent 4 minutes explaining how he is defintely for Affirmative Action in all forms. Boy this just keeps gettin better. He also apologised for voting against the Civil Rights act of 1990 and against the MLK holiday. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny. Maybe the dems will take a page from the GOP's book and stretch this out as long as they can.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

The problem is as a white person you will never be able to understand what it is like to be black in this country. I beleive you when you say you are not driven by race , but by politics. However you have the luxury of doing so cause you are the majority.

you couldnt be more correct race. im a cracker and i still see it every day. its great that some people arent driven by color etc, but theres still those out there that do feel that there should be segregation, but they are more clever about it... they hide it in messages now... hell i even heard a joke on the local radio station this morning about a family whose last name was "miggers" i mean cmon. it went on about how they cause all sorts of problems, and the world would be better off without them etc etc... thats what i get for living in whitey ville

when i joined the army and seen the world some, i realized that my life would depend on the guy in the foxhole with me, and it didnt matter if he was black, white, latino, and vice versa. i still keep in touch with the lil brother from caprini green that pulled me out of the wrecked vehicle and pretty much saved my ass... its a shame everyone doesnt realize this.

what lott said was wrong, and it pissed me off because there was no apology right off... he waited and realized too late that he stuck his foot in his mouth. the publicity of it all, and the fact i believe he should step down as majority leader would be punishment enough...

ok im done ranting.

Trent Lott is stepping down as majority leader, news conference at 11:00 Eastern!!

About fricking time, now we can get a REAL leader in there.

The Dem's are going to rue the day they got him to step down though.

He was their ace in the hole, he gave in to them whenever they put a little pressure on.

Now Frist will be in there, and he will not take any of their garbage.

The Dem's just screwed themselves, and helped the Republicans Immensley.

I wonder how long it will take them to realize how badly they screwed up.