Compassionate Conservatism: The Trent Lott Flap

Kevin Trotter

Coupled with Lott's voting record and other things I think it most certainly can be argued. Coupled with the fact that he wouldn't apologize at first it most certainly can be argued. Coupled with the fact that he is now saying it was a trap it can be argued.

What I found funny (as in odd) is that he tried to escape this fiasco with some shred of decency and even that failed him. It was a trap, yeah right. They "made" him say it.

Did you not hear the tape?

Paraphrased:

Lott: "Mississippi was proud to vote for Thurmond when he ran for President."

Audience: Cheers!!

Lott: "And if we'd elected him we wouldn't have all these problems we have now."

Audience: Silence!!!!!!!!

He should have apologized immediately and profusely but he didn't. He committed political suicide and managed to set general opinion about southern racial attitudes back about 70 years. Thanks a lot Lott.

I'm better than that.

Just to clarify I WAS willing to believe that it was blown out of proportion till I saw Lott's voting record and witnessed his subsequent behavior.

To amend my very last statement above not only do I feel that I am better than that I feel the South as a rule is better than that.

( Wonders if Race is still watching this thread and if I have embarrassed myself beyond belief. )

Still watching and listening. I agree with you about the south as well. The south is the ancestral home of african americans so to speak, and more than ever they are returning to the south to live and raise there families. Just as I beleive that every conservative isn't like Lott , I don't for a moment feel that he is representattive of the New South.