Your favorite beer.

Kevin Trotter

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For mass production beer, definitely Guiness Draught in the can with the nitrogen ball.

For micro brewery beer, Shirleys Irish Stoudt, brewed right here in Traverse City Michigan at NorthPeak Brewing Company.

I also love Rare Vos.

rvs

I love micro brews. One of the best things to happen to american beer ever. There is a brew house here in Pgh that follows the German purity law (Rheigsbot?) and uses no rice, corn etc.Only barler water and hops. Penn Brewery makes a great wheat beer( Penn Wiezen) Pilsener (Penn Pilsener)

and a very tasty variety known as Penn Gold. The best thing is since they are handcrafted locally they are always FRESH! As to Grolsch's I think they taste different since thay stopped putting the ceramic stoppers in the top and replaced them with conventional caps.

For all you beer lovers, I highly recommend brewing your own. The only satisfaction greater than drinking your own home-made beer is seeing the look on your friends and family's faces when they taste it and actually compliment you on it. You can actually make really good beer at home with little start-up cost. Biggest expense is pots and propane tanks, etc....cooking supplies...no big deal. Check the internet for homebrew supply stores in your area. I guarantee you won't regret it. I've even entered local competitions here in the San Francisco area and in Oregon. It's a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say every Canadian beer would probably be my preference...

ARRRR!!! I AM CANADIAN!! Hear my drunken roar!!!

And also, any forgien beer is illegal acording to the Canadian doctrine of 1790.

To this very day, Citizens of the Dominan of Canada are not allowed to drink imported alcoholic beverages that are native to our lands.

[ 02-11-2004, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Extinct_Reptilia ]

Mmmm Beer.

I tend to favor non-US beers. Mass produced US beers are just plain sodapop with hops added. As far as a fave, thats a tough call. My basic standby is Guiness, though I tend to look for obscure Belgian, German (and regional) beers at various distributors in my area. I often try to get something different.. I get bored with the same thing over and over again.

Sometimes i'll pick up a Watchusett Ale or something else from their line. Watchusett Brewery is a small local brewery. Practically up the street from where I live.

I avoid the Buds, Millers, Coors and such beers.

Speaking of self-breweing. I hope to give it a shot this spring/summer. Should be fun. Anyone know an excellent homebrew recipe for me to try?!

• 3 weeks later...

You know it's a funny thing. I'm from Poland and lived for nine years in Germany, and rather liked beer, though I cannot recall any specific ones.

After moving to the US in '95, everything I tried just made me gag. I tried some mass market stuff in highschool and it was all crap. Later in college I tried some microbrews as well at the local brewery, but still didn't care for any of it.

It wasn't until last year that I had some Japanese Sapporo that I realized what the good stuff in Germany used to taste like. So it took me about another nine years to find one I liked here, he he.

The worst one was Red Dog. Might as well been Dog Pee.

• 4 weeks later...

Japanese Saparo. It used to cost 700 yen off the tap. That was the cheap bar. Also the first time I had shrimp on a pizza.

I haven't seen it at home, so I stick with Rollin Rock, Heinikin, and Samual Adams.

There was a beer (not Guinness) in Scotland but I got so drunk there, I can hardly remember. It was good beer though.

One thingabout beer though, you get what you pay for. Cheap beer=bad beer

quote:

Originally posted by Delta1:

There was a beer (not Guinness) in Scotland but I got so drunk there, I can hardly remember. It was good beer though.

Maybe it was a CAFFREY'S STOUT...?

quote:

One thingabout beer though, you get what you pay for. Cheap beer=bad beer

AMEN THAT!!

Sapporo is available in the States, at least it is here. Not on tap, and only at a few bars, but still quite good. One of my faves though is Harp, which I believe comes from Scotland, and Boddington'd but that's kinda hard to find around here.

Boy, I don't know if I can name a favourite, it just seems to depend on how I'm feeling.

I like Harp too, but I lean more to Smithwick's. I do like a Killkenny once in a while (it's been a while.. hmmm ).

I'd have to say that I really like Sleemans Silver Creek Lager.

Cheers!

Wow! I just bought a case of Canadian beer brewed in Quebec. La Fin De Monde, Don De Dieu, and Maudite. It was a variety pack with those three and another I cant remember. They are brewwed by Unibroue, whose motto is " Drink Less, Drink Better' Each brew was 9% alcohol as opposed to the 5 or 6% of American beers. They were triple fermented and had sediment on the bottom, and really reminded me of some of the mid line Belgian beers. Really great stuff but at 40.00$ a case a rare treat that will have you on your ass if you dont watch it. If anybody else has tried these give me a holler.

I've had some Fin Du Monde, after the third one, the yeasty taste doesn't seem to bother me, but that's not because the taste grows on you

I dunno, I'm not a real fan. Though, I never tried one in the glass they suggest to drink it in, so I can't say.

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Delta1:

quote:

I think it was Gooseberry.

Never heard of that.... neither when I was in Scotland..... I'm going on hunt mode....